The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stuffsgrooveyman
What?! So you want me to stop supporting a team that I have supported my whole life because they are in the 'top four' ?!! I'm not saying top 4 isn't good; it's brilliant. But even if Arsenal were in league 2, I wouldn't give 2 ****s (well I obviously would but you know; I wouldn't stop supporting them). What I'm trying to say is that most people go for the absolute "BEST" teams when glory hunting and from my personal experience, there is no one I know (IRL) that thinks Arsenal are the best. I have mates that constantly make fun of our lack of trophies and argue with me about how **** we are. I agree Arsenal are probably the most if not one of the most successful teams in the EPL and that alone would be a reason for glory hunting (and because of this many people do) but from my point of view, I know many glory hunters and none of them support Arsenal/ have supported Arsenal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That you are Scottish and support an English team makes what you're saying a total non starter. It would be very easy for me to turn round and stop supporting Coventry because their off field problems make them almost impossible to support at times. But I keep doing it because they're my home team and they represent where I'm from-I don't go and support Arsenal.

Arsenal are one of the biggest teams in England and have been for a long time now-that they haven't won many trophies lately doesn't detract from them still being pretty damn good most of the time.
Original post by Silver Arrows
Most people would give an arm & a leg to see their team in Arsenals position! Arsenal will never get relegated.

It makes me laugh when people who 'support' Arsenal complain so strongly that it isn't glory hunting because 'we only finish 3rd and 4th every year'. Yeah, must be awful supporting a team like that.
To be fair on the guy above he said his entire family are Arsenal fans, who's to say some of them aren't from the area. My entire family are Mancunians, some of their kids have never lived in Manchester but they've been raised as United fans. If I ever have kids i'll raise them to support United whether I live in Manchester, Land's End or John O'Groats.

Original post by Midlander
Last time a 3rd tier club got to the semis?

I remember Wycombe Wanderers getting quite far circa 2000. The guy who scored the winner in the QF's was some journeyman who only joined the club a few days earlier because he'd seen an advert on Ceefax :lol:

No idea if they were League One or Two but they certainly weren't above that.
(edited 10 years ago)
You both make good points, but its better to support your local team, due to the fact that your are able to go there and witness the atmosphere and support the team for the reason being is that you live there and your representing your city/county. I mean think about it if your at Arsenal you chant about North London, it dosent really apply to you because your not from there. Its also hard to get tickets for such a big club.

Despite what I said you have every right to support who you want.
Original post by IMBCFC
You both make good points, but its better to support your local team, due to the fact that your are able to go there and witness the atmosphere and support the team for the reason being is that you live there and your representing your city/county. I mean think about it if your at Arsenal you chant about North London, it dosent really apply to you because your not from there. Its also hard to get tickets for such a big club.

Despite what I said you have every right to support who you want.

Of course people can go and support whoever they want but flocking to buy plastic shirts of the biggest clubs and showing no interest in your local clubs just takes money and support away from a team which needs it more. I just don't have respect for anybody who glory hunts when they have a perfectly good team close to home.
I think family ties can outweigh the whole local team argument. That's what I always blame my Dad for anyway...
Original post by sr90
To be fair on the guy above he said his entire family are Arsenal fans, who's to say some of them aren't from the area. My entire family are Mancunians, some of their kids have never lived in Manchester but they've been raised as United fans. If I ever have kids i'll raise them to support United whether I live in Manchester, Land's End or John O'Groats.

If you have some kind of affinity to the place through something like what you're describing then that's a lot easier to understand. What I have a gripe with is people blatantly supporting one of the big teams because they're successful and for no other reason.
Of course people can go and support whoever they want but flocking to buy plastic shirts of the biggest clubs and showing no interest in your local clubs just takes money and support away from a team which needs it more. I just don't have respect for anybody who glory hunts when they have a perfectly good team close to home.

Same here mate, they all come from the top premier league teams, like look at Man city, there werent all that before they got bought by that sheikh and all of a sudden a rise in a supporters. Now look at Man u there not doing as well as they should and ppl are moaning, they should be happy there in the premier league. Glory hunters dont know what its like being with a team that can go up and down and experience the feeling of promotion.
That you are Scottish and support an English team makes what you're saying a total non starter. It would be very easy for me to turn round and stop supporting Coventry because their off field problems make them almost impossible to support at times. But I keep doing it because they're my home team and they represent where I'm from-I don't go and support Arsenal.

Arsenal are one of the biggest teams in England and have been for a long time now-that they haven't won many trophies lately doesn't detract from them still being pretty damn good most of the time.

I have not lived in Scotland my whole life. And when you are born into a family that supports a team insanely so, you can't be like "HEY. I DISAGREE. I WANT TO SUPPORT THE HOME TEAM". The thing is though; I have never had a "home team". I was born in Peshawar. My mum moved to London to work when I was 3. Our family supported Arsenal because of my aunts family who made them support ( they did live in wales at that point though :/ so yeah, kind of glory hunting) and because my cousins were big on football and I looked up to them; I became into it a lot.

At four, I moved with our family to England. Met with our mum in London, started living in Norwich, lived there for almost a year but because of mums job we bad to move from city to city. Moved to Northampton, Miltonkeynes and Newcastle. All this time we never stayed in the place long enough to identify it as 'home' and therefore when it came to football for us, it was always Arsenal. From my dad (who had always been a supporter), to my mum but not to my cousins in Northampton who had only lived there. We then moved to Stirling in Scotland. Lived there for a year and then finally to Glasgow, where I have lived almost 5 years. Now, although I identify Glasgow as my "home' of sorts, I have tried SOO hard to get into Scottish football but it doesn't work for me. Friends would make me watch Celtic (before you say they are gloryhunters for supporting a "successful" Scottish team, we live in a "Celtic area" and therefore nearly everyone supports Celtic) and although I identify to a certain extent with it, it doesn't get emotions from me like when watching an Arsenal game. It doesn't get me extremely tense, it doesn't make me cry ( I cried IN CLASSS MAAN! IS THAT ENOUGH FOR YOU?), and it doesn't create a longing in my heart. I grew up supporting Arsenal through moving and each school I would go to, I would automatically strike a conversation with the boys about football and I would proudly talk about Arsenal. And whether you want me to or not, I can never stop supporting Arsenal. They 'are' my home team, they are the only home I know so please, shush.

And I wish I WAS able to live in one place long enough to support a local team. I would wish that. A lot.

I do applaud you for supporting and sticking with Coventry though. Nearly everyone in Scotland here have a second team, it's normaly a Spanish or BPL team and I find that quite fustrating. How can you support 2 teams at the same time?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IMBCFC
You both make good points, but its better to support your local team, due to the fact that your are able to go there and witness the atmosphere and support the team for the reason being is that you live there and your representing your city/county.

So what do you suggest people do if they move?
Nearly everyone in Scotland here have a second team, it's normaly a Spanish or BPL team and I find that quite fustrating. How can you support 2 teams at the same time?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Nothing wrong with having a 'second team'. Having a second team doesn't mean you necessarily support them, rather that you would like them to do well. I'd say Norwich were my second team, I don't support them, but I would like them to stay up. That and the fact they bought a third of Leeds Utd's first team, so I cheered a lot of Norwich players when they played for Leeds (Snodgrass, Howson, Johnson, Becchio). With that being said, I'd never buy any Norwich merchandise, never go to a game specifically to see them etc, nor do I eagerly check results on a Saturday evening to see if they won.
Nothing wrong with having a 'second team'. Having a second team doesn't mean you necessarily support them, rather that you would like them to do well. I'd say Norwich were my second team, I don't support them, but I would like them to stay up. That and the fact they bought a third of Leeds Utd's first team, so I cheered a lot of Norwich players when they played for Leeds (Snodgrass, Howson, Johnson, Becchio). With that being said, I'd never buy any Norwich merchandise, never go to a game specifically to see them etc, nor do I eagerly check results on a Saturday evening to see if they won.

I don't mean a second team like that. Everyone has certain teams they would rather do well but what I mean is going around wearing Chelsea tops some days and Celtic tops the other days, supporting both teams the "same amount". I mean it's one thing ig you like another team a lot and stuff, but it's another that you support "Real Madrid coz Ronaldo" at the same time as let's say, Rangers, and go around wearing both Rangers tops and Real Madrid tops and treating both teams with the same passion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
I have not lived in Scotland my whole life. And when you are born into a family that supports a team insanely so, you can't be like "HEY. I DISAGREE. I WANT TO SUPPORT THE HOME TEAM". The thing is though; I have never had a "home team". I was born in Peshawar. My mum moved to London to work when I was 3. Our family supported Arsenal because of my aunts family who made them support ( they did live in wales at that point though :/ so yeah, kind of glory hunting) and because my cousins were big on football and I looked up to them; I became into it a lot.

At four, I moved with our family to England. Met with our mum in London, started living in Norwich, lived there for almost a year but because of mums job we bad to move from city to city. Moved to Northampton, Miltonkeynes and Newcastle. All this time we never stayed in the place long enough to identify it as 'home' and therefore when it came to football for us, it was always Arsenal. From my dad (who had always been a supporter), to my mum but not to my cousins in Northampton who had only lived there. We then moved to Stirling in Scotland. Lived there for a year and then finally to Glasgow, where I have lived almost 5 years. Now, although I identify Glasgow as my "home' of sorts, I have tried SOO hard to get into Scottish football but it doesn't work for me. Friends would make me watch Celtic (before you say they are gloryhunters for supporting a "successful" Scottish team, we live in a "Celtic area" and therefore nearly everyone supports Celtic) and although I identify to a certain extent with it, it doesn't get emotions from me like when watching an Arsenal game. It doesn't get me extremely tense, it doesn't make me cry ( I cried IN CLASSS MAAN! IS THAT ENOUGH FOR YOU?), and it doesn't create a longing in my heart. I grew up supporting Arsenal through moving and each school I would go to, I would automatically strike a conversation with the boys about football and I would proudly talk about Arsenal. And whether you want me to or not, I can never stop supporting Arsenal. They 'are' my home team, they are the only home I know so please, shush.

And I wish I WAS able to live in one place long enough to support a local team. I would wish that. A lot.

I do applaud you for supporting and sticking with Coventry though. Nearly everyone in Scotland here have a second team, it's normaly a Spanish or BPL team and I find that quite fustrating. How can you support 2 teams at the same time?
Posted from TSR Mobile

So the basis for supporting Arsenal was because they were good-and in so doing perpetuating the plastic support of big teams. I don't expect you to stop following whichever team because of what other people say, it's quite simply that I have no respect for people whose support is founded on the success of the team.

It's nothing personal!

Would agree with this-the missus supports Aberdeen so I look out for their results and she looks out for Coventry's; it doesn't mean you'll find me at Pittodrie every other Saturday.
So the basis for supporting Arsenal was because they were good-and in so doing perpetuating the plastic support of big teams. I don't expect you to stop following whichever team because of what other people say, it's quite simply that I have no respect for people whose support is founded on the success of the team.

It's nothing personal!

Okay. So I shouldn't have a team? If my family, at the time, were supporting stoke city, it's fair to say that right now I would be supporting stoke city. I didn't control things, I stayed in each city less than a year while family supported Arsenal throughout. What else should I have done?

It's okay :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
So what do you suggest people do if they move?

Still support their local team before the move. Moving is sometimes a big issue, but they should still be loyal to their clubs
Original post by IMBCFC
Still support their local team before the move. Moving is sometimes a big issue, but they should still be loyal to their clubs

And when, in my case, you move when you are 4 years old (from a country that doesn't have a league or proper teams) and don't stop moving untill you are 12? When, by that time, you are already supporting a "non local" but family supported team?

Posted from TSR Mobile
And when, in my case, you move when you are 4 years old (from a country that doesn't have a league or proper teams) and don't stop moving untill you are 12? When, by that time, you are already supporting a "non local" but family supported team?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah thats fine by me :biggrin:. Who do u support ?
Okay. So I shouldn't have a team? If my family, at the time, were supporting stoke city, it's fair to say that right now I would be supporting stoke city. I didn't control things, I stayed in each city less than a year while family supported Arsenal throughout. What else should I have done?

It's okay :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think Midlander is getting more at the fact that your family supported Arsenal, not you. Thus inadvertently creating another family of plastic fans. Unlucky for you, because you were born into it. But someone in your family will have started supporting them because they are good.

And why the hell is Sky Sports New reporting on the 0-0 between Doncaster Reserves against Rotherham Reserves? Oh yeah, because that one direction guy was playing. All the post match interviews were little girls who screamed his every touch. 5,000 attendance. Embarrassing. Got to feel sorry for the lad a bit. He just wanted to play football & he gets mobbed by the Lunatic Legion.
I think Midlander is getting more at the fact that your family supported Arsenal, not you. Thus inadvertently creating another family of plastic fans. Unlucky for you, because you were born into it. But someone in your family will have started supporting them because they are good.

And why the hell is Sky Sports New reporting on the 0-0 between Doncaster Reserves against Rotherham Reserves? Oh yeah, because that one direction guy was playing. All the post match interviews were little girls who screamed his every touch. 5,000 attendance. Embarrassing. Got to feel sorry for the lad a bit. He just wanted to play football & he gets mobbed by the Lunatic Legion.

Exactly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest