The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Choosing between University of Edinburgh and University of Glasgow

Hi,
I am an international applicant and I got offers from both of the universities in History of Art joint hons. I really like their programmes but I was wondering which uni is better, primarily for the course of history of art.

here is what I applied for specifically:
University of Glasgow- History of Art/Central and Eastern European Studies

University of Edinburgh- History of Art/Chinese Studies

Thank you! Additional advice about either cities are welcomed as well :smile:
Original post by Elftales
Hi,
I am an international applicant and I got offers from both of the universities in History of Art joint hons. I really like their programmes but I was wondering which uni is better, primarily for the course of history of art.

Edinburgh is a capital city, with the commensurate number of important art collections. Glasgow is no slouch in that department either, but Edinburgh probably has the edge. Edinburgh is also very attractive as a city, as you can tell by the vast numbers of international visitors each year.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by Elftales
Hi,

As stated already, you would have a lot of opportunities in Edinburgh to view some of the most famous art in the world since the city has many world-famous art galleries. But, Glasgow has a massive art scene too, from modern art to traditional. Personally, being a Glaswegian myself, I'd go from Edinburgh: the university as a whole has a much better reputation and is widely regarded as more prestigious than Glasgow. Edinburgh is currently 11th in the world for Humanities, I believe. As for the subject itself, I think Glasgow and Edinburgh both have similar reputations for that particular course but, as has been said, I think Edinburgh has the edge. Also, as an international applicant you would probably fit in a lot better in Edinburgh since both the university and the city itself have a massive international population (Edinburgh has some of the highest numbers of international students than any other university in the world). On the other hand, Glasgow is more local and attracts a lot of home-grown, Scottish students (not that there's anything wrong with that, of course!). If it helps at all, a friend of mine is applying for a joint honors degree in art (with English literature though) and she has decided on Edinburgh, having unconditional offers from Edinburgh, Glasgow and St Andrews. I'd say go for Edinburgh! Good luck in your decision.
Reply 3
Thank you for ur advice! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Wow thank you for your advice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
this is probably a stupid question, but edinburgh is a city that is apparently easy to get around by walking, whereas in 'bigger' cities such as glasgow this is not possible. yet glasgow has an area of 68 sq miles whilst edinburgh is 102? confuseed
Reply 6
Original post by clsk
this is probably a stupid question, but edinburgh is a city that is apparently easy to get around by walking, whereas in 'bigger' cities such as glasgow this is not possible. yet glasgow has an area of 68 sq miles whilst edinburgh is 102? confuseed

That might be something to do with zoning. Glasgow probably defines the boundaries of its city to 68 sq miles but there are still suburbs filled with people outside the boundaries. Edinburgh probably defines its boundaries to 102 sq miles but half of that is farmland. If you look at city populations you will see that Glasgow is around the same as Edinburgh, but once you include the suburbs Glasgow hits 1.7 million and Edinburgh stays around 800k
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Edinburgh is a capital city, with the commensurate number of important art collections. Glasgow is no slouch in that department either, but Edinburgh probably has the edge. Edinburgh is also very attractive as a city, as you can tell by the vast numbers of international visitors each year.

I agree with everything but also want to point out that Glasgow actually has a higher population.
Original post by clh_hilary
I agree with everything but also want to point out that Glasgow actually has a higher population.

Think you may have meant to quote the person above me. I have nothing to say about population.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Think you may have meant to quote the person above me. I have nothing to say about population.

Oh no I meant to quote you. You didn't mention anything about population, which was why I found it appropriate to add that piece of information because you were (partly) talking about infrastructure. And infrastructure tends to be better in higher populated areas.

Also, Edinburgh being a capital city in itself is basically the only draw for international visitors.
Oh no I meant to quote you. You didn't mention anything about population, which was why I found it appropriate to add that piece of information because you were (partly) talking about infrastructure. And infrastructure tends to be better in higher populated areas.

Also, Edinburgh being a capital city in itself is basically the only draw for international visitors.

Didn't do geography beyond year 9, so I'm only talking as a visitor, I'm afraid!

Spent much time in Edinburgh have we?
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Spent much time in Edinburgh have we?

That has nothing to do with anything. It's pretty obvious that international visitors would go to Edinburgh but not Glasgow mostly because most of them don't even know Glasgow exists.
That has nothing to do with anything. It's pretty obvious that international visitors would go to Edinburgh but not Glasgow mostly because most of them don't even know Glasgow exists.

It has everything to do with it. If you've spent a lot of time in Edinburgh (and Glasgow) then I'm willing to entertain your remarks about population+=infrastructure+ in this specific context. If you haven't, then frankly, you are talking out of your hat.

As to your second point, you actually tend to find that a lot of foreign visitors to Scotland do Glasgow too - if only for things like the Willow Tea Rooms, the art, etc. For many it's also a sneaky opportunity to do a distillery tour if they don't have time to make it out of the cities. While we may have the national galleries in Edinburgh, Glasgow is very much the cultural centre of Scotland. Many visitors to Scotland do the circuit of Edinburgh, Glasgow, Stirling, St Andrews - many go even further afield.
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
It has everything to do with it. If you've spent a lot of time in Edinburgh (and Glasgow) then I'm willing to entertain your remarks about population+=infrastructure+ in this specific context. If you haven't, then frankly, you are talking out of your hat.

As to your second point, you actually tend to find that a lot of foreign visitors to Scotland do Glasgow too - if only for things like the Willow Tea Rooms, the art, etc. For many it's also a sneaky opportunity to do a distillery tour if they don't have time to make it out of the cities. While we may have the national galleries in Edinburgh, Glasgow is very much the cultural centre of Scotland. Many visitors to Scotland do the circuit of Edinburgh, Glasgow, Stirling, St Andrews - many go even further afield.

Well my first post was merely adding that there is a higher population in Glasgow than in Edinburgh, which is a concrete fact.

My point on international visitors is a response to the previous poster which said more international visitors visit Edinburgh but not Glasgow. What I'm trying to say is that it's not a fair comparison because Edinburgh the city is a lot more well known than Glasgow for many reasons, being the capital is one.
Given the op received a decent reply from carnationlilyrose in post #2 and doesn't appear to have any supplementary questions on what is a straightforward matter, I'm going to lock this thread.

Latest

Trending

Trending