The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2920
I had my interview yesterday - very anxious!
First placement over! Really sad to leave in the end but looking forward to placement 2. Few drinks tonight are on the cards! Well done to everyone who's made it half way.
If anyone could help me out that would be great:

When applying for a teaching job and the application form gives you 1300 words to write the covering statement do you need to present it as a letter with the school address and yours at the top? By doing so I really don't have enough words to get everything in...
Original post by Steveluis10
If anyone could help me out that would be great:

When applying for a teaching job and the application form gives you 1300 words to write the covering statement do you need to present it as a letter with the school address and yours at the top? By doing so I really don't have enough words to get everything in...

If it's a statement section on the job application then no you don't need to do that. If it's a separate letter then yes you do.
Thanks very much for the swift reply! I thought as much but as it's my first application was unsure and didn't want to get it wrong!

Taken about 3 and a half hours to fill it all in, going to get a few people to proof read then send it off.
I'm going to be sending my first application this week as well.. On the school's application form I have to write a section for 'supporting information', which shows I can meet the job description and everything like that.. Do I still need to write a cover letter?
Original post by outlaw-torn
I'm going to be sending my first application this week as well.. On the school's application form I have to write a section for 'supporting information', which shows I can meet the job description and everything like that.. Do I still need to write a cover letter?

If the form has a massive "supporting statement" section, you don't need a letter of application but I would still send a basic cover letter.

A letter of application would be a couple of pages detailing why you're the best person for the job, whereas a cover letter is just a basic courtesy thing - ie: "Dear Mr/Mrs ......... (shows you have read the school website, know who the head is and aren't just sending applications in bulk), I am writing to apply for the post of ................. and have attached my application form providing details of my suitability for this role. Feel free to contact me if you require any further information in support of my application."
Talking of applications, I've been told it's "highly unlikely" I'll be invited to interview by Newham in response to my pool application. First rejection of what I think will be quite a few. Chin up though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2928
Original post by qwerty_mad
Talking of applications, I've been told it's "highly unlikely" I'll be invited to interview by Newham in response to my pool application. First rejection of what I think will be quite a few. Chin up though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi

Did they say why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope. Just that my grading (measure they use to decide who is successful or not) wasn't high enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2930
Was told yesterday I have a conditional offer at Edge Hill :smile:
A job has come up in my old school! It would be a dream to go back there as a teacher so going to definitely apply for it. Says job start ASAP and I won't be able to until September, will that go against me?
Reply 2932
A job has come up in my old school! It would be a dream to go back there as a teacher so going to definitely apply for it. Says job start ASAP and I won't be able to until September, will that go against me?

It means that they are looking for someone to start next term. If they wanted you they could take someone on a temp contract for the term and offer it you from Sept.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2933

They are probably looking for someone to start after Easter, so probably won't work.

However, it's still worth applying for practice, plus you never know. They might employ someone on a temp contract then employ you from sept!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go for it! You never know how they felt about you and because they know what you're like that may put at an advantage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
2 applications sent off - complete a third tomorrow and just seen another school advertised near me so will have 4 applications already! Hoping to get an interview for at least one or two but won't hear until March. All becoming very real now.
Can anyone help me? I need to make my classes more dynamic and I don't know what to do; especially with grammar. Really finding life hard.
Original post by sunfowers01
Can anyone help me? I need to make my classes more dynamic and I don't know what to do; especially with grammar. Really finding life hard.

What do you mean by dynamic? More interesting? Exciting? Engaging?
Grammar is a pretty dry subject, so it will be hard to really jazz it up. You can have different sentences around the room and put them in teams (each team has a diff colour pen) and then they go round and punctuate the sentences. The team that has punctuated the most correctly gets a prize.
Original post by Shelly_x
What do you mean by dynamic? More interesting? Exciting? Engaging?
Grammar is a pretty dry subject, so it will be hard to really jazz it up. You can have different sentences around the room and put them in teams (each team has a diff colour pen) and then they go round and punctuate the sentences. The team that has punctuated the most correctly gets a prize.

I think the boss means more exciting and interesting. I'm teaching English as a foreign language and it's hard to keep them all engaged.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sunfowers01
I think the boss means more exciting and interesting. I'm teaching English as a foreign language and it's hard to keep them all engaged.

Posted from TSR Mobile

See my example for one idea :smile:
There are plenty of good ideas on the TES and the internet! Have a research!

Quick Reply

Latest