The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University - 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MMAGuy
I broke my phone screen, was running on a backup phone for a month or so. Don't check TSR often when not on my phone so wasn't active then. It's all fixed up now, so that's all good.

Yeah note that the LU forum is more active then when that person tried to start the society, I'm tempted to start a society, I'm already on the exec of 2 societies and have experience of opening one society in first term. Shouldn't be that hard, think getting the initial 15 members might be hard though. And not sure if TSR society is the right name either.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

tut tut, not good enough :wink: Glad to hear it's all up and running though!

Ooh that's interesting. I've just applied for a Mod position on TSR and one of the things I'm hoping to do (for each university) is set up a chat page. It's different to the Applicants page and the Firmers page in that current students just talk on there to each other about their day at the university. Can be useful for prospective students as it gives them a day to day account of what life is like, plus people get to make friends on there.

And yeah having it labelled as the TSR Society could be a bad thing, since it's exclusive to other students. I'm debating whether to actually make it an official society working with LUSU though, since it does have this risk factor of not many people turning up :colondollar: I think if we have it as an unofficial society for this website only, not in collaboration with LUSU, then it doesn't matter if it sinks or floats. I mean there probably won't be a signing up fee, and all it requires is someone to state social events and where you and I will be on campus for socials/to answer any questions :smile:

P.S. I call dibs on being Chairman/Treasurer (if we need one) as it's my idea. But your experience in these other societies should prove useful! please be the Societies Exec. :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 921
Original post by MalteseMalteser
tut tut, not good enough :wink: Glad to hear it's all up and running though!

Ooh that's interesting. I've just applied for a Mod position on TSR and one of the things I'm hoping to do (for each university) is set up a chat page. It's different to the Applicants page and the Firmers page in that current students just talk on there to each other about their day at the university. Can be useful for prospective students as it gives them a day to day account of what life is like, plus people get to make friends on there.

And yeah having it labelled as the TSR Society could be a bad thing, since it's exclusive to other students. I'm debating whether to actually make it an official society working with LUSU though, since it does have this risk factor of not many people turning up :colondollar: I think if we have it as an unofficial society for this website only, not in collaboration with LUSU, then it doesn't matter if it sinks or floats. I mean there probably won't be a signing up fee, and all it requires is someone to state social events and where you and I will be on campus for socials/to answer any questions :smile:

P.S. I call dibs on being Chairman/Treasurer (if we need one) as it's my idea. But your experience in these other societies should prove useful! please be the Societies Exec. :smile:

Do you actually want to get things in motion with this? Tbh LUSU don't care much about dropping below initial 15. Pres and VP right? :tongue: and it's so much better being LUSU official we can get things like free sugarhouse entry through LUSU guestlist for socials etc.
Original post by MMAGuy
Do you actually want to get things in motion with this? Tbh LUSU don't care much about dropping below initial 15. Pres and VP right? :tongue: and it's so much better being LUSU official we can get things like free sugarhouse entry through LUSU guestlist for socials etc.

One of the things I kind of want this society to be is democratic, where the first years don't have to fall in line with what we say, so maybe we should open the floor to the members on here to see what they say?

I would very much like to get things in motion though, just to see how we get on and hopefully it will continue to be a success. Yeah we'll have Pres and VP, also two for Social Secs. (One 2nd/3rd year and One Fresher). Don't really know how we will be able to get things going before next year, though, seeing as a lot of these guys will be joining next year.

Socials on a Friday night? Seeing as Wednesday is Sports Team Socials and Sugar is still good on a Friday.
Reply 923
Also us lot on TSR have a "strange way of thinking" (is that how it's meant to be put? lol ) a lot of us are a generation of internet, fandoms etc. It'd be cool to have this society to say the least, we are all like minded in someway is what I am saying. :smile:

[EDIT]: just saw your post above. Standard positions, Pres, VP, Gen Sec, Social Secs is what we should start with I reckon. we can get things going by next year for sure, me and some others founded the crossfit society in first term, and it's up and running pretty well already :smile:

Yeah we could have night out socials on a friday, casual socials throughout the week, random events, maybe some charity events. This society sounds pretty good actually, we are some sort of "head start to uni" sort of thing :tongue:

I can get the paperwork in motion today if we want.

Like all societies we should have husts and voting in of new exec etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MMAGuy
Also us lot on TSR have a "strange way of thinking" (is that how it's meant to be put? lol ) a lot of us are a generation of internet, fandoms etc. It'd be cool to have this society to say the least, we are all like minded in someway is what I am saying. :smile:

[EDIT]: just saw your post above. Standard positions, Pres, VP, Gen Sec, Social Secs is what we should start with I reckon. we can get things going by next year for sure, me and some others founded the crossfit society in first term, and it's up and running pretty well already :smile:

Yeah we could have night out socials on a friday, casual socials throughout the week, random events, maybe some charity events. This society sounds pretty good actually, we are some sort of "head start to uni" sort of thing :tongue:

I can get the paperwork in motion today if we want.

Like all societies we should have husts and voting in of new exec etc.

I completely agree with you :smile:

I would say socials every other Friday, since the members might want to go out with other friends of theirs instead (being a member of a sporting society where they almost bully you into going out every Wednesday is kinda depressing, so we're not going to be like that since we want every member to be satisfied and happy). But yeah this society is sounding brilliant. We won't need a treasurer, what will the General Sec. do? just record minutes of meetings etc.?

Yeah let's see if we can get some of the paperwork sorted out so the ball is rolling. Husts will be a great idea for new members who want to get involved and get some exec. committee experience. There will be no limit on the amount of places you can apply for, nor will there be a limit of the amount of times you can be on the committee.
Reply 925
I completely agree with you :smile:

I would say socials every other Friday, since the members might want to go out with other friends of theirs instead (being a member of a sporting society where they almost bully you into going out every Wednesday is kinda depressing, so we're not going to be like that since we want every member to be satisfied and happy). But yeah this society is sounding brilliant. We won't need a treasurer, what will the General Sec. do? just record minutes of meetings etc.?

Yeah let's see if we can get some of the paperwork sorted out so the ball is rolling. Husts will be a great idea for new members who want to get involved and get some exec. committee experience. There will be no limit on the amount of places you can apply for, nor will there be a limit of the amount of times you can be on the committee.

The gen sec role covers all of paperwork, health and safety, treasurer, planning of exec meetings, posters advertising and that stuff. It's a fairly general role hence "general secretary" :tongue: .

I was putting down all the stuff that LUSU recommends and what i've learnt as part of the LUANA society exec.

The forms are all online, we can get started on those. Society bank account is just useful to have, it's easy to setup (setup two accounts through natwest for 2 societies and they do come in handy).

The start would probably be a TSR thread and then a facebook page.
Original post by MMAGuy
The gen sec role covers all of paperwork, health and safety, treasurer, planning of exec meetings, posters advertising and that stuff. It's a fairly general role hence "general secretary" :tongue: .

I was putting down all the stuff that LUSU recommends and what i've learnt as part of the LUANA society exec.

The forms are all online, we can get started on those. Society bank account is just useful to have, it's easy to setup (setup two accounts through natwest for 2 societies and they do come in handy).

The start would probably be a TSR thread and then a facebook page.

Surely the Social Secs. would have posters and advertising? unless we make a Publicity exec. as well? I personally think that's a helluva lot of work for a Gen. Sec. especially if they're a fresher :tongue:

Yeah alright, can't really see how we'd use the bank account but it all sounds good. A TSR thread where we just invite everyone on the Firmers page and take it from there.
Reply 927
Surely the Social Secs. would have posters and advertising? unless we make a Publicity exec. as well? I personally think that's a helluva lot of work for a Gen. Sec. especially if they're a fresher :tongue:

Yeah alright, can't really see how we'd use the bank account but it all sounds good. A TSR thread where we just invite everyone on the Firmers page and take it from there.

Cool, sent a PM :smile:

These are the main 4 questions for the LUSU start a new society form:

Why have you started the society?

How is your society unique?

What type of opportunities will your society offer?

If you plan to run physical activities do you have a location organised for these to take place?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MMAGuy
Cool, sent a PM :smile:

These are the main 4 questions for the LUSU start a new society form:

Why have you started the society?

How is your society unique?

What type of opportunities will your society offer?

If you plan to run physical activities do you have a location organised for these to take place?

1. Kind of answered that in the PM.

2. We're unique because this society goes beyond Freshers Week and blah blah blah...feel free to add in your own insight.

3. Study help, friendship help, module advice, and social activities.

4. Any activities will be in and around Lancaster, unless otherwise specified. Since it's not going to be physical activities though there is no location required.
It's really good to be fair! Plenty of pubs and clubs in the city such as revolutions, elements, Sugarhouse, hustle, mint, Bentleys...as only a handful. The city itself is quite nice, a castle and even the Saturday/Sunday market! There are plenty of shops to go shopping in, but if it's not enough then Liverpool and Manchester aren't far away either. In short, I love it!

And don't worry about asking questions! As long as you keep throwing them my way I'll keep replying!

Posted from TSR Mobile

hiya bit of an unrelated question now, but I went to a natsci open day couple days back and the dude said they have all the lectures recorded and put on online for a resource (e.g if you were ill and missed it or want to watch it again for revision). Wanted to know how true this was, like do ALL the lecturers do this ALL of the time? Or do only some, and some of the time?

Cheers!

Also I wanted to know if you reckoned there's lots of people from private school at lancaster, or lots of posh types?
Original post by Lid-the-squid
hiya bit of an unrelated question now, but I went to a natsci open day couple days back and the dude said they have all the lectures recorded and put on online for a resource (e.g if you were ill and missed it or want to watch it again for revision). Wanted to know how true this was, like do ALL the lecturers do this ALL of the time? Or do only some, and some of the time?

Cheers!

Also I wanted to know if you reckoned there's lots of people from private school at lancaster, or lots of posh types?

Hey! yeah some of the lectures are recorded, like mine in the Economics modules, but not all of them are I think. It's normally down to how big the course is (e.g. the more students taking the course, the greater the demand for them to know stuff that went on in lectures). One of my Economics modules has roughly 700 people enrolled so there is great demand to record it. Other courses, which maybe aren't so large, don't get this opportunity. It should also be noted that it is not good to miss lectures in substituting the online recording for learning, because lectures are better since you get to know the knowledge of the lecturer there and then and in person, plus you can see the animations on slides etc.

And wow that's certainly a question I haven't asked before haha! Well, I have a housemate who I would consider posh but I'm not sure he went to a private school (he is kind of a millionaire though). People consider me posh because I come from the south (where everyone is considered posh pretty much haha) but I've been public schooled for my whole life.

Thing is, is that it's difficult to get a good estimate due to all of the international students that study here. In most cases, their parents are paying the tuition fees and what else not. But from my experiences, I've not come across many posh people or private-schooled students. Most are in the same boat as me that are public schooled and/or not posh. Having said that, there the odd one or two that are, but we're not talking on the same levels as Oxbridge/Durham/UCL/Exeter etc.

Plus the "posh" couple of people I know are quite nice, hardly snobby at all! :smile:

EDIT: as Tim TIC has pointed out, I was actually State educated, not public educated :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 931
Public schooling in the UK refers to private eduction (I know, it linguistically makes no sense!). MalteseMalteser, I'm guessing you mean you were state educated?
Original post by Tim TIC
Public schooling in the UK refers to private eduction (I know, it linguistically makes no sense!). MalteseMalteser, I'm guessing you mean you were state educated?

Bingo, that's the one! Yeah, I was state educated.
Hey! yeah some of the lectures are recorded, like mine in the Economics modules, but not all of them are I think. It's normally down to how big the course is (e.g. the more students taking the course, the greater the demand for them to know stuff that went on in lectures). One of my Economics modules has roughly 700 people enrolled so there is great demand to record it. Other courses, which maybe aren't so large, don't get this opportunity. It should also be noted that it is not good to miss lectures in substituting the online recording for learning, because lectures are better since you get to know the knowledge of the lecturer there and then and in person, plus you can see the animations on slides etc.

And wow that's certainly a question I haven't asked before haha! Well, I have a housemate who I would consider posh but I'm not sure he went to a private school (he is kind of a millionaire though). People consider me posh because I come from the south (where everyone is considered posh pretty much haha) but I've been public schooled for my whole life.

Thing is, is that it's difficult to get a good estimate due to all of the international students that study here. In most cases, their parents are paying the tuition fees and what else not. But from my experiences, I've not come across many posh people or private-schooled students. Most are in the same boat as me that are public schooled and/or not posh. Having said that, there the odd one or two that are, but we're not talking on the same levels as Oxbridge/Durham/UCL/Exeter etc.

Plus the "posh" couple of people I know are quite nice, hardly snobby at all! :smile:

EDIT: as Tim TIC has pointed out, I was actually State educated, not public educated :smile:

thanks man really helpful. I have more questions tho you'll be pleased to know haha. Wondered how easy/ practical it is to get a part time job at the uni, or in the town itself? Also wondering what other unis you applied to and what made you choose lancaster in the end? anddd also like for example I know at Bath uni they have academic reps for each subject, and also SU officers and whatnot- I wondered how many of those kind of opportunities you have at Lancaster, and I know at Bath all the positions are dead competitive, so was wondering if it was same here? (As you can prob tell I'm trying to choose between Bath and Lancaster). Cheers!
Original post by Lid-the-squid
thanks man really helpful. I have more questions tho you'll be pleased to know haha. Wondered how easy/ practical it is to get a part time job at the uni, or in the town itself? Also wondering what other unis you applied to and what made you choose lancaster in the end? anddd also like for example I know at Bath uni they have academic reps for each subject, and also SU officers and whatnot- I wondered how many of those kind of opportunities you have at Lancaster, and I know at Bath all the positions are dead competitive, so was wondering if it was same here? (As you can prob tell I'm trying to choose between Bath and Lancaster). Cheers!

Haha it's alright, just keep the questions flowing and I'll answer them all as best as I can! :smile:

okay, so how easy is it to get a part-time job at the uni or in town? fairly difficult if I'm honest. There aren't many jobs going, mainly because many are already taken up. LUSU runs a "jobshop" where if you look on a certain website it will list all the jobs available at the university to students, who can apply.
In all honesty though, I wouldn't suggest getting a job in your first year. You'll want to go out, experience the lifestyle more, and get acclimatized to the amount of work and self-study you will be doing. Personally, I'd leave it to the second year before looking for a job. Indeed, next year I'll be transferring stores from my hometown to the store in the White Lund Industrial Estate to do work, something I haven't done this year.

What other Universities did I apply to and what made me choose Lancaster? Well I applied to Lancaster, York, Aston, Loughborough, and Kent. What made me choose Lancaster was what happened when I balanced the pros against the cons of each university. I won't tell you the cons of the other universities (it's not nice to slag off other universities in public), if you want those then just ask and I will PM you them, but what made me choose Lancaster was the quality of the teaching, the flexibility of modules in the first year (which can be taken forward into Part II), the fact that it is in the Top 10 Universities, and the department that I was applying for was Triple Accredited - so it's in the top 1% worldwide! (basically it means that the level of teaching there is to industry standard).

LUSU/JCR/Student Reps? Okay, so at Lancaster you have 9 colleges, each with it's own JCR (Junior Common Room - basically every single student) Executives. The amount of positions available normally differs between college, but normally there is President, Vice-President, Secretary, Publicity Officers, Social Secretaries, Treasurer, Equality and Diversity, and Academic. Each of these is elected via the college JCR (you) at Hustings, where all candidates give a speech and you vote for those you want to win. Competition varies between Executive roles, but it can be fierce, it can be tame. We're talking a JCR of about 1200-2100 people, so anyone can stand. They organise Freshers Weeks and all collegiate events, so they are prized positions of responsibility.

Then you have Student Reps. These are one person from each seminar group who goes to a departmental meeting run by the curriculum director/Department Director to voice any concerns about the course, and state what they like about the course. I am currently a student rep for my ECON100 and ECON103 modules. Competition for this is weak, it's one in 15 people, many of whom really don't want to do it (I got a cakewalk victory in both of mine, seeing as I was the only candidate to put my name forward haha)

Lastly you have your LUSU Executives - basically SU Executives. They oversee the runnings of the University and represent the student body at NUS events. Competition again varies depending on posts, with maybe 6 people going for President and 2 people going for Vice-President of Activities, so it does vary.

But this is University, everything is competitive. Very rarely is it going to be easy (I would say I was lucky to get the ECON100 student rep role, considering when I put my name forward I wasn't actually completely sober from the night before) haha. I would say there's probably less competition than at Bath for certain positions, but other positions like President there will probably be lots of competition.

Aside from that, you also have all of the Societies, which have their own Executive committees which are sometimes easier to get into and just as good to have on your CV (e.g. Treasurer of the Economics Society or VP of the Asian Society etc.)
Reply 935
Departmental Open Day tomorrow! I have an annoying list of questions prepared for some unfortunate soul. Depending on how it all goes, I may very well make my decision after the weekend. All very exciting!
Original post by Tim TIC
Departmental Open Day tomorrow! I have an annoying list of questions prepared for some unfortunate soul. Depending on how it all goes, I may very well make my decision after the weekend. All very exciting!

Feel free to pop by mine if you have more questions or you just want a chat etc. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 937
Feel free to pop by mine if you have more questions or you just want a chat etc. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very nice of you to offer. Depending on time, I may well take you up on it.
Original post by Tim TIC
Very nice of you to offer. Depending on time, I may well take you up on it.

No problem mate, if you decide to take it just let me know and we can sort something out :smile:
hi, im trying to decide between York and Lancaster to study Economics. I am really drawn to the year in industry and the flex ability of the course at Lancaster, but i was just wondering about student life living in Lancaster? i am aware it is a small city and i come from Newcastle, whats the nightlife/shopping like? apart from on campus is there much to do? im just a bit worried of being stuck on campus all the time :L

also, what is the difference in colleges? what sort of atmosphere is there in each of them?

sorry for all the questions, i just cant decide where to go ahah. thanks in advance :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending