The Student Room Group

GMAT / GRE for an A level Student?

Hi all,

I am a GCSE student and I was wondering whether it would be advisable for me to take the GMAT or the GRE at A level time? My maths and reasoning skills are quite good. Should I leave it for later or take it at A level time?

Thanks!
Anyone?
Anyone?
hello...i suggest you take both.gmat is specific to admissions to business schools and gre to masters.but many B schools also accept GRE score these days.
n you wouldnt need to prepare much for both separately.i personally find GMAT exam a more challenging one
Original post by mrsolivegreen
hello...i suggest you take both.gmat is specific to admissions to business schools and gre to masters.but many B schools also accept GRE score these days.
n you wouldnt need to prepare much for both separately.i personally find GMAT exam a more challenging one

Many thanks for your reply! I wanted to go into Economics and Investment Banking in the future; would these exams help in any way? Are there any management exams that are taken at A level, equivalent to that or GMAT / GRE?

Many thanks!
A GRE test would be more apppropriate for you at this stage.you can take a GMAT if you decide to do a masters in management after your graduation.My strong suggestion at this stage for you is to prepare and take a GRE exam
Original post by mrsolivegreen
A GRE test would be more apppropriate for you at this stage.you can take a GMAT if you decide to do a masters in management after your graduation.My strong suggestion at this stage for you is to prepare and take a GRE exam

Alright thanks for that! I'll take a look at my preparation options soon.
Reply 7
You shouldn't be thinking about the GRE or the GMAT yet, if you haven't even taken A-Levels. Concentrate on your studies first, then do the GRE/GMAT when you are progressing through your degree and have decided which route you want to take - business school or other graduate studies. It will literally bring you NO benefit to do it earlier, as your score will expire by the time you even get around to applying.
Original post by avash27
You shouldn't be thinking about the GRE or the GMAT yet, if you haven't even taken A-Levels. Concentrate on your studies first, then do the GRE/GMAT when you are progressing through your degree and have decided which route you want to take - business school or other graduate studies. It will literally bring you NO benefit to do it earlier, as your score will expire by the time you even get around to applying.

So, not at A level time? Later than that?!
Reply 9
Original post by londoncricket
So, not at A level time? Later than that?!

Well... yeah, obviously. It is an exam used to gauge your readiness for GRADUATE school. It has absolutely no bearing upon undergraduate studies. I took the GRE the summer before going into my final year of university... that's when you should be thinking of doing it. The score expires in 5 years anyway, so why waste over $180 to take an exam you definitely will not be prepared for, and you will have to take again anyway?
Original post by avash27
Well... yeah, obviously. It is an exam used to gauge your readiness for GRADUATE school. It has absolutely no bearing upon undergraduate studies. I took the GRE the summer before going into my final year of university... that's when you should be thinking of doing it. The score expires in 5 years anyway, so why waste over $180 to take an exam you definitely will not be prepared for, and you will have to take again anyway?

Alright, thanks! Does university automatically prepare you for the GRE or do you have to do classes outside of university?

Thanks!
Reply 11
Original post by londoncricket
Alright, thanks! Does university automatically prepare you for the GRE or do you have to do classes outside of university?

Thanks!

No need for classes, just get yourself a good book (plenty on Amazon if you search it, I personally used Kaplan) and brush up on the skills you need with the exercises in it. Some will also give you supplementary ones you can do online, and practice tests as well.
Original post by avash27
No need for classes, just get yourself a good book (plenty on Amazon if you search it, I personally used Kaplan) and brush up on the skills you need with the exercises in it. Some will also give you supplementary ones you can do online, and practice tests as well.

Okay. I'll take a look nearer the time! Thanks!
Reply 13
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending