The Student Room Group

Guys who work out obsessively are just as bad as girls.

When ever a boy goes to the gym and works out, gets the ol' six pack :rolleyes: he is celebrated and praised. I think this is just as bad as the media perpetuating the ideal female beauty in every magazine stand on the front cover.

Why is it okay for guys to care so much about their body? Just go on youtube and you'll be horrified at all the wanabes raking in millions of views from equally desperate "fans"

/Discuss
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm going to the gym in about 45mins or so to do some cardio to stay fit and also work on my six pac. It's coming along quite nicely - but no one's praising me :frown:
I go to the gym to stay healthy - I've always been crap at sports but I do care about my fitness and health.

If it makes me better looking and the ladies like it, then I'm certainly not complaining!
you jel?
Reply 4
Don't be mad.

Guys have to eat properly, sleep properly and train hard to get that six pack.

That's a sign of dedication to health and fitness.

All girls have to do is eat a slice of bread, some water, and a slice of ham to get the body that they think is so beautiful i.e. be a skinny stick.
What is your definition of obsessively? If someone enjoys going to the gym and working out, why should they be looked down on? Why is that an obsession? The gym is a hobby for many people. It's like someone who plays guitar every day because they enjoy it, is that an obsession?

This thread is just silly.
Reply 6
Original post by Secretnerd123
you jel?

Can muslim girls go the gym?
Reply 7
Yes - boys are if anything more concerned about their personal image. What is your point?
Reply 8
Wow, this is incredibly dumb. Working out and keeping fit has numerous health benefits. The substantial majority of people are out of shape, so why shouldn't someone who works out be praised. You clearly have no idea about the amount of dedication and discipline it requires to build a muscular physique.
Original post by Red one
Can muslim girls go the gym?

yes, dont see how this is relevant to your question though :smile:
Reply 10
I'm talking about the double standard here that all of the gym monkey people are missing. I'm not talking about going to the gym to stay healthy once a week or what have you. I'm talking about people who sculpt their bodies and spend every waking moment lifting a weight or watching what they're eating.

I think it's so dumb. :rolleyes:
Reply 11
Original post by Red one
I'm talking about the double standard here that all of the gym monkey people are missing. I'm not talking about going to the gym to stay healthy once a week or what have you. I'm talking about people who sculpt their bodies and spend every waking moment lifting a weight or watching what they're eating.

That's nice. Now do some exercise to relieve that pent up stress over this major issue.
COOL STORY OP

seriously though great story
Reply 13
Original post by tehforum
That's nice. Now do some exercise to relieve that pent up stress over this major issue.

Who are you and why do you keep following me on TSR? Are you another bottom-feeder that I should add to my ignore or...?
Just look at any magazine shelf.

There are 100 magazines critiquing/celebrating various women for the way they look.

On the other hand……..The handful of magazines about Men are for Men's Health or Fashion.

I don't think the problem is really comparable.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Red one

A) The average person needs to go the Gym more than once a week.

B) Most people watch what they eat.

C) You do not spend that long in the gym to get a good body.

D) Guys want to sleep with girls.
(edited 10 years ago)
Don't be mad.

Guys have to eat properly, sleep properly and train hard to get that six pack.

That's a sign of dedication to health and fitness.

All girls have to do is eat a slice of bread, some water, and a slice of ham to get the body that they think is so beautiful i.e. be a skinny stick.

Apologies if you were just being facetious, but if you look at the difference between fashion magazines and women's fitness magazines, you'll see that not all women are beholden to the catwalk vision of perfection.

For a girl to get a body that guys look at and find irresistible she can't just eat 50 calories a day and hope for the best. That's a route to a flat arse and unsupported tits.
Reply 17
Original post by TurboCretin
If you look at the difference between fashion magazines and women's fitness magazines, you'll see that not all women are beholden to the catwalk vision of perfection.

For a girl to get a body that guys look at and find irresistible she can't just eat 50 calories a day and hope for the best. That's a route to a flat arse and unsupported tits.

Then that's most girls then.

Except for a moderate diet, and a bit of cardio they don't do much else.
Then that's most girls then.

Except for a moderate diet, and a bit of cardio they don't do much else.

Are guys that much different?
So guys are praised for going to the gym regularly, eating well and generally living a healthy lifestyle.. How is that bad?

The pressure on girls is more orientated towards being skinny, and the media makes people think the only way to achieve this by under-eating and doing weird and potentially dangerous diets. Nothing like the situation with guys.

Quick Reply