The Student Room Group

Medicine in UCAS Exta !

Hey guys,

I really need help as I'm unsure of what to do.
I applied for medicine and got rejections from all 4 but I did get my back up to do biomedical science at Nottingham. I check UCAS extra and there ARE medicine courses available!

However the catch is that if I want to apply through extra, I would have to reject my back up at Nottingham. I am worried this is really risky, because I may not get an offer via Extra and you can only apply one course at a time until early July.

Ever heard of anyone getting through Extra into medicine? Should I do it or is it too risky?

Thanks for you help !
Reply 1
I have no idea, but to be honest the questions are:
1. Could you really handle doing Biomedical science for 3 years?
2. Do you REALLY want to do Medicine, to the point of a potential extra year out, or would Biomedical science be okay?
3. Do you really want to go to Nottingham?
4. Which are the medical schools on Extra? I've never heard of any being there before, but I'm not an expert in this.
5. What would you do with a gap year if you didn't get into Medicine?

I think you need answers to all of those before you proceed.
Reply 2
You should recheck whether an A100 medicine course is in UCAS Extra. Medicine courses are always oversubscribed with excellent applicants, with no places in Extra.

You may be confusing the A100 medicine course with either medical science, vetinary medicine, or the A191 medicine course. Neither of these courses is what you are looking for.
Reply 3
The only course on extra I can see is Buckingham, and that obviously costs 35k a year. I'd reapply and save yourself the money!
Reply 4
I'd take a gap year and accumulate a big pile of cash for the latter years where you won't have as much maintenance loan.
Reply 5
Original post by Superboy
You should recheck whether an A100 medicine course is in UCAS Extra. Medicine courses are always oversubscribed with excellent applicants, with no places in Extra.

You may be confusing the A100 medicine course with either medical science, vetinary medicine, or the A191 medicine course. Neither of these courses is what you are looking for.

Check out the link, A100 courses. I was shocked too that medicine is even on there :eek:

http://search.ucas.com/search/providers?CountryCode=&RegionCode=&Lat=&Lng=&Feather=&Vac=1&AvailableIn=2014&Query=medicine&ProviderQuery=&AcpId=&Location=&SubjectCode=
Reply 6

On the left hand side of the web page, where it says "availability" click on "courses open to new applicants". Suddenly, all of the medicine courses disappear!
Reply 7
Original post by Beska
The only course on extra I can see is Buckingham, and that obviously costs 35k a year. I'd reapply and save yourself the money!

:eek::eek::eek: 35 k who the hell can afford that ?
Reply 8
Original post by SSS_JJJ
:eek::eek::eek: 35 k who the hell can afford that ?

Its what all the internationals are paying, and enough people are interested at that to make UCLAN copy it.
Reply 9
Original post by 345rty
Its what all the internationals are paying, and enough people are interested at that to make UCLAN copy it.

Perhaps its aimed at internationals. 157,000 pounds... wow

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending