The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

People applying for Sheffield Hallam Uni 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Got a conditional place for Adult Nursing, so happy as this is my first choice. Just need to wait for the other offers and then can apply for accommodation. I think the forge as first and Devonshire courtyard as my second.

Posted from TSR Mobile
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Reply 381
I hold a place for Events Management with Arts and Entertainment. Its the only uni I didn't visit that I applied to. I hadn't really considered actually going but people have told me it's quite good. Anyone whose visited an open day shed some light on what it's like? And has accommodation already opened?!? Woops.
Got a conditional offer for Physiotherapy today! :smile:
Reply 383
I've accepted Events here as my firm! Thinking either Opal 1 and Victoria Halls for accommodation!
Original post by helerrrn
I hold a place for Events Management with Arts and Entertainment. Its the only uni I didn't visit that I applied to. I hadn't really considered actually going but people have told me it's quite good. Anyone whose visited an open day shed some light on what it's like? And has accommodation already opened?!? Woops.

I don't know about events management but I've now been to see the uni 3 times and love it! The city is also really nice :smile:
Yeah haha it opened at the beginning of January :s-smilie: everyone I know whos either just started or graduated would highly recommend it :biggrin:
Does anyone have any idea why The Forge has got two starting contract dates?! One the 13th and one on the 18th?
Reply 386

I applied for 4 different types of events courses that covered the arts events - Kent, BIMM, Bournemouth and sheffield, and I definitely thought sheffield was the best because it is still quite business based so you do get more experience whereas a lot of the courses I found were to specific, but then obviously it depends what you want to do. Tutors were really lovely on the open day and Sheffield itself is brilliant for arts events with a lot going on in the city. Having the option of a years placement is what did it for me. and the uni is very much about employability and they are teaching you for the job. Accommodation is pretty reasonable for what you get and there are some really nice options like Victoria Halls. Where have you put for your top choice?
Reply 387
Original post by GabbiFacc
Got a conditional place for Adult Nursing, so happy as this is my first choice. Just need to wait for the other offers and then can apply for accommodation. I think the forge as first and Devonshire courtyard as my second.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ive put the forge as my first. Fell in love when i had my viewing :smile:
Reply 388
Original post by BronwynMoorhouse
Does anyone have any idea why The Forge has got two starting contract dates?! One the 13th and one on the 18th?

this could mean that it has an early arrival date, which would be the 13th, thats what i would have thought anyways :smile:
Reply 389
Original post by Phreaktwo
Got an unconditional offer to study Hospitality Business Management. About 70% sure i'll be coming to SHU but ive had 4 other offers at different uni's so ive got other open days to attend before I make my final decision.

It's looking like Victoria Halls is the place to be alongside Trigon and the forge.

I'm doing the same course and I've applied to Victoria halls and Trigon too hahaha Sheffield definitely seems like the place for me
Reply 390
Anyone know how you can request to shar halls with a friend? trying to find out how...
Original post by millsidd
Anyone know how you can request to share halls with a friend? trying to find out how...

I'm pretty sure you can't request to be in the same place as someone and guaranteed it. You can apply for the same building but i think thats as far as it goes.
Reply 392
Original post by lh193
I applied for 4 different types of events courses that covered the arts events - Kent, BIMM, Bournemouth and sheffield, and I definitely thought sheffield was the best because it is still quite business based so you do get more experience whereas a lot of the courses I found were to specific, but then obviously it depends what you want to do. Tutors were really lovely on the open day and Sheffield itself is brilliant for arts events with a lot going on in the city. Having the option of a years placement is what did it for me. and the uni is very much about employability and they are teaching you for the job. Accommodation is pretty reasonable for what you get and there are some really nice options like Victoria Halls. Where have you put for your top choice?

It's most likely going to be Bournemouth, as I do business and management already so wanted something based solely on events (I hold an offer for Business and Events Management at UWE, but disliked the course content), mainly as even 'events' is quite broad for me (hold an offer for Music and Live Event Management which is eventually the field I am aiming for). But yeah, I met the course tutors at Bournemouth and was really impressed, also the years work placement is compulsory so it means everyone will be back for the final year at the same time! And the accommodation is the best I've seen, it's so lovely and most of it is owned by BU, it is a tad expensive though because it's in the south. (Victoria Halls don't have any accommodation in Bournemouth but I saw them in Cardiff). Also the BU course is accredited and Sheffields isnt, according to unistats I looked at but both uni's had good employment rates though, which is reassuring :-)
Reply 393
It's most likely going to be Bournemouth, as I do business and management already so wanted something based solely on events (I hold an offer for Business and Events Management at UWE, but disliked the course content), mainly as even 'events' is quite broad for me (hold an offer for Music and Live Event Management which is eventually the field I am aiming for). But yeah, I met the course tutors at Bournemouth and was really impressed, also the years work placement is compulsory so it means everyone will be back for the final year at the same time! And the accommodation is the best I've seen, it's so lovely and most of it is owned by BU, it is a tad expensive though because it's in the south. (Victoria Halls don't have any accommodation in Bournemouth but I saw them in Cardiff). Also the BU course is accredited and Sheffields isnt, according to unistats I looked at but both uni's had good employment rates though, which is reassuring :-)

I looked at the arts uni in bournemouth and thought the course was too specific (but I did like the idea of creating your own promotional material as i'm keen on graphic design which was originally what I planned on doing at Uni). I'd like to go into music and arts festivals but want to keep my options open for weddings, etc because it's such a competitive industry and I'm sure I'll change what I want to do by the time I come out of Uni. I generally didn't like Bournemouth as a place though. I already live on the coast in Norfolk and it just reminded me too much of home. I want somewhere different and Sheffield is a different world compared to the little village I live in haha.
Reply 394
Original post by willy96
I'm doing the same course and I've applied to Victoria halls and Trigon too hahaha Sheffield definitely seems like the place for me

****ing sweet! I've confirmed my place now so I just need to get accommodation out the way! Did you go to the open day on Saturday?
Reply 395
Original post by lh193
I looked at the arts uni in bournemouth and thought the course was too specific (but I did like the idea of creating your own promotional material as i'm keen on graphic design which was originally what I planned on doing at Uni). I'd like to go into music and arts festivals but want to keep my options open for weddings, etc because it's such a competitive industry and I'm sure I'll change what I want to do by the time I come out of Uni. I generally didn't like Bournemouth as a place though. I already live on the coast in Norfolk and it just reminded me too much of home. I want somewhere different and Sheffield is a different world compared to the little village I live in haha.

I totally get you, only I am the opposite haha! I've grown up in Birmingham, only about 3 miles from the dead centre of it, and being in the Midlands we are so far from any beach! Probably why I liked Bournemouth so much.
Reply 396
Original post by Phreaktwo
****ing sweet! I've confirmed my place now so I just need to get accommodation out the way! Did you go to the open day on Saturday?

I wasn't able to but might go to the one in March still not 100% though. If I were you put Victoria Halls as your first accommodation it seems to be the favorite for most people and is really close to night clubs and city centre. :wink:
Reply 397
Original post by millsidd
Anyone know how you can request to shar halls with a friend? trying to find out how...

Original post by lipslikemorphine
I'm pretty sure you can't request to be in the same place as someone and guaranteed it. You can apply for the same building but i think thats as far as it goes.

They don't guarantee it but if BOTH of you put in the notes when you apply that you want to be together then they'll try and accommodate you. you may want to avoid one of the oversubscribed halls in favour of somewhere less popular. I can say from experience that Pearl House and The Courtyard- although aren't as posh as Victoria Halls- are perfectly comfortable, cheap and really close to the uni.
Reply 398
Original post by laurenjr
Ive put the forge as my first. Fell in love when i had my viewing :smile:

The photos make it look really nice but have been unable to view it as it wasn't open on the open days to view. When did you view it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 399
Original post by RyanT96
Computer Science here hopefully. Interview today (5th), anyone else?

I'm doing Games Software Development haha, good luck for your interview :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending