Euro Elections Poll and can UKIP win? Watch

breenm
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So the European Elections are this year, and fast approaching. Many voting intention polls predict the winning order will be: Labour, UKIP, Conservative, Lib Dem, Green, but UKIP tends to have a surge of support closer to election time. So, can UKIP win? Also, please take part in the poll above, and feel free to discus other issues relating to the election.
No Man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I will be voting UKIP. It's about time the unelected European Commission heard all sides of arguments related to whatever is spoken about in Brussels (even better if other nations vote Euroskeptics), since that's what democracy is all about (if you can elect people that is).
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'll likely vote Lib Dem in the Euro's. The Alliance of Liberals and Democrats agrees with a lot of reforms needed but does not spout Euro-skeptic babble.

I don't believe Ukip will win and even if they do they won't breach 30%.
Blue Meltwater
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This'll be the first election I can vote in! Pretty likely to vote Green, unless anything drastic changes my mind.
meenu89
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think they will either win or come a very close second.
redferry
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I wish I could vote Labour and Greens. Sorry Greens, no votes for you because your environment policies are misguided.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by redferry)
I wish I could vote Labour and Greens. Sorry Greens, no votes for you because your environment policies are misguided.
At an EU level its probably worth seeing what coalition our parties are part of and what the aims of said coalition are.
wildrover
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Voting for UKIP I heard the LIb Dems could potentially finish 5th, behind the Greens haha
breenm
Rep:
?
I think Clegg would be soon out if the Greens beat them. I am a Tory, but I'd be rather amused if UKIP beat Labour.
breenm
Rep:
?
Bump for more results please
thesabbath
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Eurosceptics of all parties should lend their votes to UKIP for this otherwise meaningless election which could be branded "the referendum that Dave, Nick & Ed won't let us have".

A UKIP victory would provide the clearest possible demonstration that the UK intends to leave the EU if meaningful reforms are not achieved, which would strengthen its hand in any negotiations.

I believe the EU is not reformable because of its commitment to ever closer union and its binding principle that powers, once handed over to Brussels, can never be repatriated.

We ultimately have to choose between federal Europe and national sovereignty and if UKIP are in a position to make those arguments on behalf of Eurosceptics then this can only be good for our democracy.
chrisawhitmore
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As a Eurosceptic, I will be voting UKIP, because it really doesn't matter what policies any party has given that their MEPs can't propose legislation.
Libtardian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Being a leftist forum I am largely surprised at the results so far.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by otester)
Being a leftist forum I am largely surprised at the results so far.
It's a liberal forum, there's little evidence that it's economically ruled by the left or right,
mojojojo101
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I reckon we will get a record turn out... maybe 30%...

Will need to look into which parties will be allied with which others in EU parliament before making my final desicion but it won't be UKIP, their brand of anti-democracy is not for me.
the mezzil
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Voting UKIP.

It is the duty of the public to protect our freedoms, and protest against injustices imposed by the EU.

I see it as more of a vote for freedom.
Swanbow
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It will be a disappointing election for the three main parties. I'll have to see if any independents draw my eye first, but at the minute I'll vote UKIP as a protest vote.
Ace123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Considering the age demographic and left wing stance of this forum I am very surprised UKIP are this high when most keep spining most UKIP voters are all pensioners, we are seeing real change in politics
Teaddict
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Everyone on this thread should give this a read: http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/01/16/...s-first-place/
Ace123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Teaddict)
Everyone on this thread should give this a read: http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/01/16/...s-first-place/
polls always underestimate UKIP, in the 2009 EU election between January-May UKIP in the polls almost tripled from 7% in January to 15-19% in May
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (10)
6.49%
They might tell the bully (16)
10.39%
I don't think they'd understand (28)
18.18%
It might lead to more bullying (57)
37.01%
There's nothing they could do (43)
27.92%

Watched Threads