The Student Room Group

GCSE Controlled Assesment Help

I'm currently doing my biology controlled assessment and I'm investigating the factors that affect the rate of enzyme activity and I've chosen concentration, I need to do a risk assessment evaluation and wanted to know what are the risks that come with doing this experiment if there are any

Many Thanks
Reply 1
What's the method? Possibility gets too hot when testing temperature?
Reply 2
What is the enzyme? What is the substrate?
Reply 3
Original post by maestrocam
What's the method? Possibility gets too hot when testing temperature?

im testing how long it will take for trypsin to turn photographic film from black t clear (for trypsin to digest the protein on the film) at different concentrations.
Reply 4
Original post by Ava-
What is the enzyme? What is the substrate?

trypsin is the enzyme and photographic film is the protein that it will digest.
Reply 5
Original post by Siham_xox
trypsin is the enzyme and photographic film is the protein that it will digest.

I've just googled it and Trypsin is a irritant at 1% and above. That could be worth writing down as safety risk. You would need to clean up spillages quickly, wash hands and eyes if they come into contact (as well as normal lab procedure.)
Is there any other substances used in the experiment? Otherwise you could write about broken glass etc, but that's pushing it a bit.
I always found the marking for GCSE controlled assessments is quite nice, so I wouldn't worry too much :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Ava-
I've just googled it and Trypsin is a irritant at 1% and above. That could be worth writing down as safety risk. You would need to clean up spillages quickly, wash hands and eyes if they come into contact (as well as normal lab procedure.)
Is there any other substances used in the experiment? Otherwise you could write about broken glass etc, but that's pushing it a bit.
I always found the marking for GCSE controlled assessments is quite nice, so I wouldn't worry too much :smile:

Trypsin is the only substance, if you don't include water. Thanks for your help I was a tad confused hearing things from all over but cleared my query.
fbd.jpg
Reply 8
Risk of allergy from enzymes?

how about this should help

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/80664-unit-b733-biology-controlled-assessment-teacher-guidance-accredited.pdf

go to page 8 or press ctrl+f and type allergies shows u basically risks associated with it. The internet is your guide just search a little persistence pays off trust me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending