The Student Room Group

UCL postgrad applicants 2014-2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by as437
I'm from Canada, so this might not apply to UK universities, but some programs here look favourably on volunteer and work experience. You just need to find a way to spin what you've done in the most impressive light. If your volunteer and work experience aren't "medical" in nature, could you perhaps focus on the existing skills and experience you have that would translate well into a medical field? The way I see it, your personal statement will explain why you're interested in the course in the first place, and your CV can show that you possess the attributes necessary to succeed in that course.

Cheers so much for this, really helped. So obvious now you've said it lol.
Hey guys, I'm a EU citizen who wants to apply to a MSc at UCL, but I have a question regarding the personal statement. The thing is, I'm currently studying a 2-year MA of which I've completed the first semester, and I find the courses highly relevant for the UCL degree that I'm applying to. My plan is to go on leave for the MA after summer, as I only need to do an internship and write a thesis to complete the degree. Thus, my plan is to do the MSc at UCL while I'm on leave, and once I finish the MSc I'll return to my homecountry to finish up my MA (doing it this way has certain economic advantages in relation to student funding). However, how do I go about explaining this situation to UCL when I'm applying? Are they gonna be more prone to reject me if they know that I'm returning to finish another MA after completing the UCL MSc? Or should I just avoid mentioning it in the personal statement (and if I do that, what about the highly relevant completed courses from the MA?). A third option is of course to say that the UCL degree is so goddamn sexy that I'm willing to drop out of my MA to start at UCL, this, however, might make me look like a less committed student. What are your thoughts about this? Anyway, any help is greatly appreciated!
Reply 122
Original post by baf_92
I've been given an unconditional offer for the Publishing MA, so I could well be seeing you in September!

I've applied for the MA in publishing as well! If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take for them to get back to you? My references were sent in about 3 weeks ago and I'm getting a little anxious...
Reply 123
preparing an application for Bartlett school of planning. any offer holders or candidates for the same school?
Reply 124
Original post by Always.Inbetween
Cheers so much for this, really helped. So obvious now you've said it lol.

No problem :smile: Good luck with your CV!
Reply 125
Original post by KingOfTheBongo
Hey guys, I'm a EU citizen who wants to apply to a MSc at UCL, but I have a question regarding the personal statement. The thing is, I'm currently studying a 2-year MA of which I've completed the first semester, and I find the courses highly relevant for the UCL degree that I'm applying to. My plan is to go on leave for the MA after summer, as I only need to do an internship and write a thesis to complete the degree. Thus, my plan is to do the MSc at UCL while I'm on leave, and once I finish the MSc I'll return to my homecountry to finish up my MA (doing it this way has certain economic advantages in relation to student funding). However, how do I go about explaining this situation to UCL when I'm applying? Are they gonna be more prone to reject me if they know that I'm returning to finish another MA after completing the UCL MSc? Or should I just avoid mentioning it in the personal statement (and if I do that, what about the highly relevant completed courses from the MA?). A third option is of course to say that the UCL degree is so goddamn sexy that I'm willing to drop out of my MA to start at UCL, this, however, might make me look like a less committed student. What are your thoughts about this? Anyway, any help is greatly appreciated!

If I were in your position, I would check and see what UCL's policy is for this. I know that for Canadian universities, there are strict rules against being enrolled in more than one program at the same time (even at separate universities). I'm not sure if the rules are the same in the UK though. I think that UCL's admissions team should be able to provide guidance on this. I'd also check with the university where you're currently completing your MA.

Also, I don't know how effective it would be to avoid mentioning your MA in your personal statement. UCL will likely ask for all of your transcripts and they'll be able to see that you're enrolled in the MA based on that.
Original post by Ritabee
Has anyone applied to the MSc in Developmental and Clinical Practice?

Applied 4 weeks ago...hoping to receive a reply within the next 2 weeks

Developmental psychology and clinical practice? I applied way back in October and have heard nothing since. The wait is killing me. Have your heard anything about interviews since they're taking only 12 students? I'm an overseas applicant by the way
Reply 127
Hi there,

does anyone have experience of how quickly UCL gives out PhD offers? (Especially if the potential supervisor has already said "yes")

Thanks
Original post by KingOfTheBongo

As suggested above, UCL will probably require your transcripts, and it would be pretty annoying for you if they offered you a conditional place asking that you complete your MA, if you don't explain it to them. I think your best bet would be explaining the situation briefly, but really focusing on the fact that you only have an internship and thesis to write. Sort of a "before I do my internship", "before embarking on my final thesis" situation, and try to separate those components of the MA as much as possible from your MA courses, leaving you free to talk about how relevant they are to the MSc. Somehow it looks like then you have done the bulk of the course and only have the independent stuff to do. I think you're right about option three too.
Reply 129
Original post by Spairos
Hi there,

does anyone have experience of how quickly UCL gives out PhD offers? (Especially if the potential supervisor has already said "yes")

Thanks

Hi,

I got invited to an interview 6 weeks after all of my documents were received by the admissions office. I hadn't contacted a supervisor beforehand but had named 2 that I wanted to work with in the application. As for the time frame from interview to offer/rejection, I don't know yet, my interview isn't until next week.
Reply 130
Original post by supriyajoshi
Developmental psychology and clinical practice? I applied way back in October and have heard nothing since. The wait is killing me. Have your heard anything about interviews since they're taking only 12 students? I'm an overseas applicant by the way

The tricky thing about this MSc is that they didn't mention that they would only be evaluating applications until AFTER the deadline...so we have to wait until March 10. My friends have received rejections, but I have nothing yet.
Original post by Ritabee
The tricky thing about this MSc is that they didn't mention that they would only be evaluating applications until AFTER the deadline...so we have to wait until March 10. My friends have received rejections, but I have nothing yet.

Hi girls!
I'm glad to hear you're still on the run for a place in the MSc. I've got a rejection this week, so if you haven't heard about it it's a good thing, probably you'll have an invitation for an interview.
Good luck to both!
Original post by Ritabee

Oh even me and a friend of mine have not heard anything yet. I mailed them yesterday to enquire and they said they still don't have decisions from the department yet and hopefully they'll let us know 'shortly'. I thought the deadline was on 17th February, then why would they wait till after March 10?
Anyone got any tips on my NERC DTP interview at UCL Tuesday?
Reply 134
Oh even me and a friend of mine have not heard anything yet. I mailed them yesterday to enquire and they said they still don't have decisions from the department yet and hopefully they'll let us know 'shortly'. I thought the deadline was on 17th February, then why would they wait till after March 10?

No no, I meant that they will reply BY March 10...Meaning you should hear in the next week...the deadline was feb 17 but they waited til allt he applications were in before evaluating
Original post by Ritabee
No no, I meant that they will reply BY March 10...Meaning you should hear in the next week...the deadline was feb 17 but they waited til allt he applications were in before evaluating

Oh well that sounds about right. Lets hope to hear from them soon now, it's been wayy to long. Do you have any idea as to whether they interview all applicants that they haven't rejected or do they give out direct offers as well?
Reply 136
Original post by roshea
I've applied for the MA in publishing as well! If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take for them to get back to you? My references were sent in about 3 weeks ago and I'm getting a little anxious...

I sent my application off the week before christmas so i had to wait until the university reopened anyway, but I received an email inviting my to an interview about 4 weeks after I sent in my application. You probably won't here anything until they decide to do another set of interviews though. So I wouldn't get too anxious :smile:
Reply 137
Has anyone heard anything for MSc Economics? My six weeks after "Application complete" is soon coming around.

Also does everyone need to do an interview before receiving an offer?
Reply 138
Oh well that sounds about right. Lets hope to hear from them soon now, it's been wayy to long. Do you have any idea as to whether they interview all applicants that they haven't rejected or do they give out direct offers as well?

I have no idea honestly...I'd imagine all applicants have to do interviews...not quite sure!
Reply 139
Original post by oli92
Has anyone heard anything for MSc Economics? My six weeks after "Application complete" is soon coming around.

Also does everyone need to do an interview before receiving an offer?

I received an offer late November, no interview needed. Good luck with the application.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending