The Student Room Group

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2440
Original post by Don Jesu
I heard the ethical article discussion attributes most of the marks for the interview, which doesn't seem to correlate with the sheet. Also, the sheet seems to contain things attainable from your PS, e.g. work experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Everything is weighed equally. There isn't even a mark for how you discuss the article.

Original post by ededed123
That was not the sheet they had in front of me at the interview. it was much more detailed and was a tick box kind of sheet? Any one else see a similar sheet??

It is that sheet.

Original post by Doodle00
So I found the sheet that they use to score our interview:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/105713/response/263181/attach/3/A100%20Scoring%20Sheet.pdf

Hopefully I score 4/5 on each section, though I'm worried my communication skills section might be marked down slightly as I said some strange things during my interview, stating that a study showed that the rate of organ donation increases with the rate of mortality due to car crashes for example. I'm quite hopeful though other than one question everything seemed very straightforward and nice.

The panel was saying people who score 5/5 in all sections get the offers guaranteed. Then all the 4.5s and so on. I remember him saying if you score 4/5 in all sections it is unlikely you will get an offer as the places get filled up with 4.5-5 in all sections. Anything below 4 = no chance.
Did anyone not have a student sitting in on their interview?
Original post by Anxious Owl

yep I did. they had a straight face throughout though. interview in general was very strange. the interviewers were almost silent througout.
Reply 2443
I heard the ethical article discussion attributes most of the marks for the interview, which doesn't seem to correlate with the sheet. Also, the sheet seems to contain things attainable from your PS, e.g. work experience.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Where did you hear that from? One of the students in the waiting room told me not to worry excessively about the article, and that they just wanted to see how you can present different ideas, and evaluate whether or not you're a psycopath one wouldn't want to become a doctor :tongue:

However one could contend that communication might relate as well to how you present the article, "understanding the realties of medicine"
could be how you present the huge lack of organs available and how this impacts populations, etc.

Also work experience in personal statements is sometimes only mentioned formally, focusing on quantity rather than quality and often doesn't represent what you really got from it, which I'd be guessing is what they were interested in during the interview.

Anyway, I'm not sure analysing the assessment sheets is beneficial for us right now, as we don't know how they grade us anyway, we just need to hold on this month :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by medsing
Where did you hear that from? One of the students in the waiting room told me not to worry excessively about the article, and that they just wanted to see how you can present different ideas, and evaluate whether or not you're a psycopath one wouldn't want to become a doctor :tongue:

However one could contend that communication might relate as well to how you present the article, "understanding the realties of medicine"
could be how you present the huge lack of organs available and how this impacts populations, etc.

Also work experience in personal statements is sometimes only mentioned formally, focusing on quantity rather than quality and often doesn't represent what you really got from it, which I'd be guessing is what they were interested in during the interview.

Anyway, I'm not sure analysing the assessment sheets is beneficial for us right now, as we don't know how they grade us anyway, we just need to hold on this month :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was hard to bring in work experience when talking about the article though. I tried my hardest to find some connections lol. Having said quality over quantity, one of the grading categories was committment (including work experience) which kind of sounds more like how much work experience have we got. And evidence of teamwork and communication could be simply determined when they ask give an example of where you acted like a team player/communicated effectively whereas some people weren't asked such questions.
Reply 2445
It was hard to bring in work experience when talking about the article though. I tried my hardest to find some connections lol. Having said quality over quantity, one of the grading categories was committment (including work experience) which kind of sounds more like how much work experience have we got. And evidence of teamwork and communication could be simply determined when they ask give an example of where you acted like a team player/communicated effectively whereas some people weren't asked such questions.

True, although if you think about it, these people have been doing that job for years, I guess they can extract the info they are looking for pretty much from anything we say lol. So again, we can't know now anyway, we'd probably end up becoming delusional or getting depressed for nothing :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by medsing
True, although if you think about it, these people have been doing that job for years, I guess they can extract the info they are looking for pretty much from anything we say lol. So again, we can't know now anyway, we'd probably end up becoming delusional or getting depressed for nothing :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

good point. let's just wait and see what unfolds. are you an A level student, reapplicant or grad btw medsing?
Reply 2447
good point. let's just wait and see what unfolds. are you an A level student, reapplicant or grad btw medsing?

I'm an EU student so not really A level but the equivalent, on my last year anyway. :smile:
guys i wasc thinkin about apply here next year for med. If i have a UCAS point score of about 560 , what UKCAR roughyl wouldi need to secure an interview? around 760-780?
Original post by Buggybear1
guys i wasc thinkin about apply here next year for med. If i have a UCAS point score of about 560 , what UKCAR roughyl wouldi need to secure an interview? around 760-780?

I applied with 570 this year and a ukcat of 723 and I got an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My UCAS tarrif was 540 and my UKCAT was 730 and I got an interview, so probably 700?
I kind of want to know who I saw on Wednesday as I was there all day :ninja:
Reply 2452
Original post by Legit
Everything is weighed equally. There isn't even a mark for how you discuss the article.

It is that sheet.

The panel was saying people who score 5/5 in all sections get the offers guaranteed. Then all the 4.5s and so on. I remember him saying if you score 4/5 in all sections it is unlikely you will get an offer as the places get filled up with 4.5-5 in all sections. Anything below 4 = no chance.

Evidently the sheet they use has changed. In my interview I didn't see a detailed sheet, they just had paper to write notes about what I was saying.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by yasminalsaffar
My UCAS tarrif was 540 and my UKCAT was 730 and I got an interview, so probably 700?

oh thank you and to babaychocolate. Do u guys know whether the EPW is valued? Because im takign 3 A levels and an EPQ nd i am predicted all A* in them, that combined with my AS A grade in Econ wud give me 560
oh thank you and to babaychocolate. Do u guys know whether the EPW is valued? Because im takign 3 A levels and an EPQ nd i am predicted all A* in them, that combined with my AS A grade in Econ wud give me 560

I think it is. If its here then it should be fine:http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/explore-your-options/entry-requirements/tariff-tables
Original post by Doodle00
Evidently the sheet they use has changed. In my interview I didn't see a detailed sheet, they just had paper to write notes about what I was saying.

At my interview, they just all stared at me and occasionally looked down/referred to this document containing my personal statement, reference and what looked like a whole heap of numbers which I'm guessing are my grades? (Not sure about the last one, my periphery vision is highly unreliable). One of them looked really bored. Oh dear, I need to stop reliving my interview and move on with my life.

Yep, me. I was in group D on 25th :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2457
Original post by Cephalosporin
At my interview, they just all stared at me and occasionally looked down/referred to this document containing my personal statement, reference and what looked like a whole heap of numbers which I'm guessing are my grades? (Not sure about the last one, my periphery vision is highly unreliable). One of them looked really bored. Oh dear, I need to stop reliving my interview and move on with my life.

You're not alone, relive it every day :/

There were no students on panel on the 24th!
Did anybody else have a degree of difficulty understanding the interviewers' accents? :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending