The Student Room Group

American conservative says that death penalty for gays "not unreasonable"

Anti-LGBT researcher Paul Cameron open to death penalty for ‘dangerous’ gay ‘parasites’

“One must understand those who act on their homosexual desires or interests usually end up being parasites on society, and parasites that are very dangerous for society, not only because they take far more than they contribute to society, but they particularly injure children,” Cameron said.

What the hell is wrong with some people?

It reminds of the Ugandan minister who said that a man raping an underage girl is better than consensual sexual acts between two adult males, on the basis that "At least it is natural".

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
He's a geriatric republican man, what do you expect?

The good news is that the republican party will be more or less finished in another 10 years or so, when the majority of its men stuck in 1950s America have died. It seems like UKIP are the equivalent to the US republican party (which is why I wouldn't vote for them in a general election).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
I wish Ted Heath had been executed.
Lots of people don't reason well, he's just one of them.

No man, 1950s America was vastly more liberal and tolerant than just about any previous Western society, and would compare favourably with just about any African or Asian society of today on the same score. Your 'tude is misdirected. But fashionable. So good for you, I guess.
And geriatric might not be the word you really want. Not only because it's so like ageist man, but also it signifies to clever types a man of advanced years and socially-healing wisdom.

/oh **** I've done a bad. Hope no-one notices/

Actually I'm wrong there. I knew what each of the two parts of the greek word geriatrics meant, old and healer, but that doesn't mean old healer guy, as I thought. It means healer of old guys, not what I thought. I admit it, I'm a ****.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by MostUncivilised
Anti-LGBT researcher Paul Cameron open to death penalty for ‘dangerous’ gay ‘parasites’

It reminds of the Ugandan minister who said that a man raping an underage girl is better than consensual sexual acts between two adult males, on the basis that "At least it is natural".

Why is this not in 'international'?

Clearly he's completely batty though, if any mainstream party adopted this position in the UK they'd probably be out of power for a good decade.

Original post by No Man
He's a geriatric republican man, what do you expect?

The good news is that the republican party will be more or less finished in another 10 years or so, when the majority of its men stuck in 1950s America have died. It seems like UKIP are the equivalent to the US republican party (which is why I wouldn't vote for them in a general election).

The Republican Party is very much alive, the reason they'll probably lose 2016 is because the Tea Party are complete nutters and the Republicans like the Tories here have no real strategy regarding how to take Democrat strongholds/North of England which means they both end up having to listen to what are presented as the only viable alternatives based on shady evidence.
Original post by Rakas21
Why is this not in 'international'?

Clearly he's completely batty though, if any mainstream party adopted this position in the UK they'd probably be out of power for a good decade.

The Republican Party is very much alive, the reason they'll probably lose 2016 is because the Tea Party are complete nutters and the Republicans like the Tories here have no real strategy regarding how to take Democrat strongholds/North of England which means they both end up having to listen to what are presented as the only viable alternatives based on shady evidence.
You rong, bruv. The Republicans lose because racial minorities vote for the party most subservient to their demands (Dems), while the racial majority won't vote in their racial interests for the party that's slightly less subservient to minority race hustling (Reps).

For the Republicans to win, they just have to start reaching out to their conservative, White base, instead of abusing them and pandering to every other group.

vdare "sailer strategy"
America: so advanced yet so backwards at the same time.
Reply 8
I agree. Homosexuals are a completely danger to children - Putin said so, so it must be true!

I often find it interesting how many times more hardcore American conservatives crossover with authoritarian Russian politicians. They share oh so much in common.
Reply 9
Its wrong but no more wrong that removing food aid which by far is the worse crime, you're going to starve people to death, how the hell can you justify that become some gay law wasn't passed.
Yet again the gays = paedophiles line gets trotted out. Not that I'm aware of America actually executing 'normal' paedophiles anyway, so this guy's logic doesn't even stand up. I'd also love to know why he thinks gay people cost more to society than they contribute.
Original post by kumon
Its wrong but no more wrong that removing food aid which by far is the worse crime, you're going to starve people to death, how the hell can you justify that become some gay law wasn't passed.

I'm not sure what point you're making?
I read a pretty interesting book that deals with the rise of the Christian Right in America and, if the author is to be believed, they are possiibly more dangerous than some people think. I certainly wouldn't write off the electoral chances of ultra-conservative Republicans in years to come. Check out the book if interested: Chris Hedges, American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War on America.
Reply 13
Original post by shadowdweller
I'm not sure what point you're making?

I'm saying they shouldn't stop food aid as it kills starving people that are already in pain.

Also if you're gay you can "hide" it, as many people here in the Uk do in schools for example, by not actively trying to look for a partner, but people that are hungry shouldn't be forced to starve because of it, they can't escape hunger.
Original post by kumon
I'm saying they shouldn't stop food aid as it kills starving people that are already in pain.

Also if you're gay you can "hide" it, as many people here in the Uk do in schools for example, by not actively trying to look for a partner, but people that are hungry shouldn't be forced to starve because of it, they can't escape hunger.

I am confused as to the relevance?
Reply 15
I am confused as to the relevance?

Forgien agencies stopped food aid because of this law!!! And now millions of people will starve to death. Have you ever been hungry? to die from it is awful.
Original post by kumon
Forgien agencies stopped food aid because of this law!!! And now millions of people will starve to death. Have you ever been hungry? to die from it is awful.

I'm not denying the awfulness of it. I was just confused as to why you were mentioning it.
Reply 17
I'm not denying the awfulness of it. I was just confused as to why you were mentioning it.

Well now you know :smile:
Original post by rich.thomas
I read a pretty interesting book that deals with the rise of the Christian Right in America and, if the author is to be believed, they are possiibly more dangerous than some people think. I certainly wouldn't write off the electoral chances of ultra-conservative Republicans in years to come. Check out the book if interested: Chris Hedges, American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War on America.

Sounds an interesting book. I found it really interesting when I studied the Christian right as part of my US politics module at A-level, how a country so advanced like America could still have religion as such a big influence.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MostUncivilised

Original post by Theflyingbarney
Yet again the gays = paedophiles line gets trotted out. Not that I'm aware of America actually executing 'normal' paedophiles anyway, so this guy's logic doesn't even stand up. I'd also love to know why he thinks gay people cost more to society than they contribute.

The Southern Poverty Law Centre, which tracks racists, anti-semitic and anti-gay groups, has this to say about Paul Cameron:

'Paul Cameron is an infamous anti-gay propagandist whose one-man statistical chop shop, the Family Research Institute, churns out hate literature masquerading as legitimate science. Cameron dresses up his "studies" with copious footnotes, graphs and charts, and then pays to publish them in certain journals. Cameron's work has been rejected by both the American Psychological Association and the American Sociological Association, yet his ludicrous statistics are frequently referenced in sermons, news broadcasts, politicians' speeches and even court decisions.
'

His 'studies' are used by the Family Research Council and by the 'American Family Association', who are both actively involved with and agree with the punitive Nigerian, Russian and Ugandan anti-gay laws. The FRC also wrote or guided many of the anti-gay discrimination laws which are springing up in the US under the guiseof 'religious freedom'. The head of the FRC, Tony Perkins, wrote the recently-vetoed Arizona law.

Also, the paedophilia 'link' that Goodluck Jonathan, Putin and Museveni keep insinuating - is an outright FALSEHOOD, and is insulting and repugnant to all gay people who are parents and love their children.

'Consensus now exists that pedophilia is a distinct sexual orientation, not something that develops in someone who is homosexual or heterosexual. Some people with pedophilic urges are also attracted to adults, and may act only on the latter urges. Because people with pedophilic urges tend to be attracted to children of a particular gender, they are sometimes described in the literature as heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual pedophiles. Roughly 9% to 40% of pedophiles are homosexual in their orientation toward children but that is not the same as saying they are homosexual. Homosexual adults are no more likely than heterosexuals to abuse children.'

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Mental_Health_Letter/2010/July/pessimism-about-pedophilia

BTw, I said in another thread that paedophilia was a paraphilia, not a sexual orientation. From the excerpt above it seems that scientific distinctions on this matter have changed, of which I was not aware.

Paul Cameron has been particularly honest in his hatred and ignorance but make no mistake - the US anti-gays and other similar groups around the world may not be saying the same things but it doesn't mean that they don't agree with him.

Despicable and inhuman - and certainly NOT Christian.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending