The Student Room Group

MPhil in Management - University of Cambridge 2013-2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Hello:

I am considering applying to the program in the future. Can anyone tell me the age range of students and whether anyone had a GRE score - or if GMAT was the standard for everyone. Thank you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 261
Hello:

I am considering applying in the future. Can anyone tell me the age range of students and if anyone used a GRE score instead of GMAT. Thank you.
Reply 262
Majority are recent college graduates in the range 21-24. I don't know anyone who gave GMATs or GREs, but most have excellent GPAs (3.72 is the least I know). Most have internships. Almost half the class has Arts/Humanities background. A quarter is technical.

But why do you want to do this course?
Reply 263
Original post by zingerbmt
Majority are recent college graduates in the range 21-24. I don't know anyone who gave GMATs or GREs, but most have excellent GPAs (3.72 is the least I know). Most have internships. Almost half the class has Arts/Humanities background. A quarter is technical.

But why do you want to do this course?

Can I ask you how stressful is this programme?
Does this course focus on theories more than practical approaches?
I've got offers from both the Lse and the Judge business school but I'm not sure which one should I choose.
Reply 264
It is quite balanced! You will work on case studies and some theory but they try to connect it with the practical
aspect. In 2 weeks for example we have a visit n the Jaguar Factory to see in practice what we learned in theory (supply chain management).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 265
Anyone knows when Cambridge will give the admission decisions ?
Reply 266
Original post by cake1202
Can I ask you how stressful is this programme? <br>
Does this course focus on theories more than practical approaches?<br>
I've got offers from both the Lse and the Judge business school but I'm not sure which one should I choose.
<br>

The only stressful part of it is having to compete with such a talented lot. The people set the bar really high, and it is very common to see people fail some courses. The concepts are quite easy to understand for all the subjects though. Nothing tricky. But you have to give at least three hours of study everyday in addition to the lectures. And perhaps you'd be surprised to know that on average there's no more than one two-hour lecture everyday (so not many lectures). And only 16 hours per subject per term.
Reply 267
Original post by VdV
Anyone knows when Cambridge will give the admission decisions ?

The decisions should be rolling out now. The latest they can possibly take is the end of April.
Reply 268
The decisions should be rolling out now. The latest they can possibly take is the end of April.

There is no deadline like that? If you scroll back you will see some people only got decisions in May. And I am pretty sure that if you go back to the 2012/13 thread there were people who only got notified in June. Judge is notorious for late decisions.
Reply 269
The MPhil's FAQ says "you should not expect any offer to be sent before the end of March"
Reply 270
<br>

The only stressful part of it is having to compete with such a talented lot. The people set the bar really high, and it is very common to see people fail some courses. The concepts are quite easy to understand for all the subjects though. Nothing tricky. But you have to give at least three hours of study everyday in addition to the lectures. And perhaps you'd be surprised to know that on average there's no more than one two-hour lecture everyday (so not many lectures). And only 16 hours per subject per term.

Please excuse me if this is the stupid question :s-smilie: but I don't really understand. Can you please tell me why there is competition amongst students in this course? I mean the grading is based on the relative grading system, right?
Also, I guess students must be studying quite hard by themselves because of short lecture hours of each subject.
Reply 271
The competition aspect is quite common at Cambridge in postgrad. Many students arrive having been at or near the top of their class in undergrad. Suddenly they are just one of a very talented pack... It can be a difficult adjustment for some people.

Also, not sure what you mean by relative grading. If you mean that raw marks are adjusted so that the top x% get a distinction, next y% a merit etc, I'm not really aware of any postgrad courses in Cam that work that way, but not sure about Judge.
Reply 272
Original post by sj27
The competition aspect is quite common at Cambridge in postgrad. Many students arrive having been at or near the top of their class in undergrad. Suddenly they are just one of a very talented pack... It can be a difficult adjustment for some people.

Also, not sure what you mean by relative grading. If you mean that raw marks are adjusted so that the top x% get a distinction, next y% a merit etc, I'm not really aware of any postgrad courses in Cam that work that way, but not sure about Judge.

Thank you for your answer :biggrin:

Do you have any ideas about pass/fail ratio in this programme?
Reply 273
Still haven't heard anything, should I be worried?? I know people got in pretty late but I have offers from LSE and Imperial and I don't know what to do about that!
Reply 274
I got an offer for this course, but I have heard so many negative things about it, that I am thinking of rejecting it. So basically, do you guys think I should change my mind? If so, why?
Reply 275
Original post by Sophietje
I got an offer for this course, but I have heard so many negative things about it, that I am thinking of rejecting it. So basically, do you guys think I should change my mind? If so, why?

What do current students of this course think?
Reply 276

I do hope you are basing that decision on more than a few random anonymous posters on TSR, especially if you are just thinking of doing a similar management degree elsewhere.
Reply 277
Original post by sj27
I do hope you are basing that decision on more than a few random anonymous posters on TSR, especially if you are just thinking of doing a similar management degree elsewhere.

Well, I have gotten a pretty good offer from Oxford, for a different degree which people said they enjoyed. I've spoken to around 5 people who are doing/have done this degree and none of them mentioned positive things on this degree only negative ones. I am indeed asking because I want to know whether these people's opinions were representative for the general opinion on this course.
Reply 278
Well, I have gotten a pretty good offer from Oxford, for a different degree which people said they enjoyed. I've spoken to around 5 people who are doing/have done this degree and none of them mentioned positive things on this degree only negative ones. I am indeed asking because I want to know whether these people's opinions were representative for the general opinion on this course.

That's perfectly valid - I've just seen people in the past here apparently take decisions based on what a few random posters have said which is ...pretty scary. Which course at Oxford btw?
Reply 279
Original post by sj27
That's perfectly valid - I've just seen people in the past here apparently take decisions based on what a few random posters have said which is ...pretty scary. Which course at Oxford btw?

I didn't take it personal:wink: No worries.

Evidence-Based Social Intervention and Policy Evaluation, which is.. pretty different from this, and more similar to another offer I got from LSE (Management, Organisations and Governance).

So it's also more a life choice than it is a study choice, however, if this program would be super-awesome, than I might reconsider because all three programs would equip me to work within an international organisation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending