The Student Room Group

The real reason why women go for high status dudes

"Bingo. So few men understand that this reasoning is what guides the majority of female action. Women are creatures of the herd (read: other women, especially their group of friends). The herd s their highest authority. So crucial is the herd in the female mind that to be excommunicated from or looked down upon by the rest of the herd is almost akin to death-it is simply one of the worst things a woman can imagine.

She will go to very great lengths to avoid this fate. If that means lying (about sexual past, cheating, past pregnancies or relationships, family, or whatever else you can think of) or attacking another woman to protect herself (women are often more horrible/two-faced to each other in more devious ways than most men can imagine), then so be it. Nothing is worse than excommunication.

Of course, on the other hand, to be looked up to by the herd is the greatest possible reward a woman can receive. A woman will do almost anything to make this happen. Snagging a doctor or similarly high status male, as basil mentioned, makes this happen more effectively than almost anything else a woman can do. Thus, when such a male appears (one with enough status to instantly boost her into the envy of her peers), most women will be willing to do much more than expected to keep him.

Ever wondered why women (even "good" ones) seem to go the extra mile for certain high status guys (rock stars, celebrities, and other "super alphas", as Roissy would term them)? Sure, these men push attraction triggers, but that's not the meat of the cause. The real reason is status. Women behave the way they do around such men because they have the ability to give women what they want more than ANYTHING else: the envy of other women.

Any action she could take (no matter how degrading/slutty/shameful/etc it may seem outwardly) can easily be justified in her mind by the potential reward being with such a man can give her. The envy of her peers is almost invaluable.

A celebrity, due to his visibility, can give a woman more status and incite the envy of more females than almost any other man (even a non-famous, but still wealthy and good looking doctor/lawyer/etc). This is why these men tend to have the largest number of followers willing to do the largest number of crazy things sexually to attach themselves to them. Sure, they're attractive, but their ability to make other women jealous is the biggest prize here."

II didn't write this but I happen to agree with a sizeable portion of it.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's pretty simple. I've gone over this many times

I think as beings, humans want power. Money is a manifestation of power, as is status. But neither excess money or status are really important, what they really want is control.

Men want this control by getting to bang as many girls as they want and live a comfortable life to be the envy of their mates. Girls are less likely to do this, so they go for the guy with that power, if you're close to somebody with power, you have power too, or at least that's what they think. That's what makes them attracted to the guy.

Funnily, the bible said the love of money is the root of all evil, but it's wrong in this sense. The love of power is the root of evil, as money is a manifestation of power.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
It's pretty simple. I've gone over this many times

I think as beings, humans want power. Money is a manifestation of power, as is status. But neither excess money or status are really important, what they really want is control.

Men want this control by getting to bang as many girls as they want and live a comfortable life to be the envy of their mates. Girls are less likely to do this, so they go for the guy with that power, if you're close to somebody with power, you have power too, or at least that's what they think. That's what makes them attracted to the guy.

Funnily, the bible said the love of money is the root of all evil, but it's wrong in this sense. The love of power is the root of evil, as money is a manifestation of power.

Can't argue with fact.
Oh dear.

Basically all this is saying is that women want to be thought well of by their friends. Doesn't everyone? Why would anyone want to have "friends" who have a negative opinion of them?

As for the alpha male stuff, yes, some shallow women will go after men purely for their social status. Some men do the same thing, especially with rich divorcees.

In my experience, most young people who haven't yet found their standing in the world go for others in the same position, who they like for other reasons.

Your post makes it sound like no-one has expressed an interest in you and you're looking for a way of blaming women for not wanting to be with you (it doesn't speak well of you that you're happy to liken them to herd animals lacking independent thought).

How about being more introspective and looking at what you have to offer a partner? There are LOADS of qualities girls find attractive. It's not all about status.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Musie Suzie
Oh dear.

Basically all this is saying is that women want to be thought well of by their friends. Doesn't everyone? Why would anyone want to have "friends" who have a negative opinion of them?

As for the alpha male stuff, yes, some shallow women will go after men purely for their social status. Some men do the same thing, especially with rich divorcees.

In my experience, most young people who haven't yet found their standing in the world go for others in the same position, who they like for other reasons.

Your post makes it sound like no-one has expressed an interest in you and you're looking for a way of blaming women for not wanting to be with you (it doesn't speak well of you that you're happy to liken them to herd animals lacking independent thought).

How about being more introspective and looking at what you have to offer a partner? There are LOADS of qualities girls find attractive. It's not all about status.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You agreed with the points made in the post as shown by bolded text.

The part underlined I happen to argue with. Young love is as close as you can get to non-materialistic romance.

Bit in red shows you have no idea what is going on. I didn't write the italic text. It was a quote.
Reply 6
Same reason why girls are suddenely interested in blokes who are married, have babies with them, or have girlfriends. It's often less to do with whether they are interested in someone, but the mere fact that someone else is. If a man is married, someone else has validated him, ergo there must be something good about him - even if she doesn't know what it is.

How often do you hear (esp on here) about some girl who isn't interested in her friend (-zoned mate) until he gets a girlfriend, and all of a sudden it's on like Donkey Kong?
Reply 7
That text is a collection of paralogisms. A number of clichés that are falsely treated as real empirical evidence and explained by pseudo-anthropological/psychological reasoning, same as some of the posts in this thread.

"Ever wondered why women (even "good" ones) seem to go the extra mile for certain high status guys (rock stars, celebrities, and other "super alphas", as Roissy would term them)?"

Petitio principii par excellence. A cliché for which there is no evidence whatsoeve, but it's used as evidence to prove the overall underlying notion and the following "explanations".

Give me some broad empirical evidence for all that (by that I don't mean girls you know irl) and a good explanation (and not some bar room clichés) and we can talk.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Clip
Same reason why girls are suddenely interested in blokes who are married, have babies with them, or have girlfriends. It's often less to do with whether they are interested in someone, but the mere fact that someone else is. If a man is married, someone else has validated him, ergo there must be something good about him - even if she doesn't know what it is.

How often do you hear (esp on here) about some girl who isn't interested in her friend (-zoned mate) until he gets a girlfriend, and all of a sudden it's on like Donkey Kong?

Absolutely.
Original post by qua
That text is a collection of paralogisms. A number of clichés that are falsely treated as real empirical evidence and explained by pseudo-anthropological/psychological reasoning, same as some of the posts in this thread.

"Ever wondered why women (even "good" ones) seem to go the extra mile for certain high status guys (rock stars, celebrities, and other "super alphas", as Roissy would term them)?" :facepalm2:

Give me some broad empirical evidence for that (by that I don't mean girls you know irl) that this is true and a good explanation (and not some bar room clichés) and we can talk.

Ok yeah sure because rockstars and sportsmen obviously have comparable levels of sexual encounters when compared to a refuse collector or supermarket cashier.

I'll search Pubmed.
Reply 10
Original post by bammy jastard 27

No offence, but that's bar room wisdom at its best. Do you have empirical evidence that this is true and a psychological, anthropological, biological or whatever explanation why that's the case and why there is a gender-specific difference as you suggest (other than "girls are less likely to do this")?

Original post by KenGosgrove
Ok yeah sure because rockstars and sportsmen obviously have comparable levels of sexual encounters when compared to a refuse collector or supermarket cashier.

I'll search Pubmed.

So we are talking about celebrity gossip, or what exactly is our basis for discussion?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by qua
No offence, but that's bar room wisdom at its best. Do you have empirical evidence that this is true and a psychological, anthropological, biological or whatever explanation why that's the case and why there is a gender-specific difference as you suggest (other than "girls are less likely to do this")?

So we are talking about celebrity gossip, or what exactly is our basis for discussion?

More from general experience, although like you say may be slightly warped from the views of celebrities. They are generally the most accepted general role models of young men and young women, most people try to follow their ways religiously as social figures. I'd say it's quite applicable in this sense.

I'd say girls are less likely to do this due to their genetic imprint and the way society works. In general women have been known to look for security over the course of evolution, they're usually looking for stability and living a comfortable life, and they get that from a man with power. I think I should have used the words 'less able' to do this.

I'll go on google scholar in a bit haha.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
True to a certain extent.

But don't most people want what everyone else wants?
Reply 13
It definitely is true. But they don't even have to be successful, just socially high status. Looks at all those 'twitter famous' guys for example.
Original post by Clip

This is quite true, I vividly remember after I got my first girlfriend after being resolutely ignored by girls throughout secondary school. I was constantly being flirted with or told so-and-so fancied me, all of whom had some social connection with my girlfriend.
Original post by KenGosgrove
You agreed with the points made in the post as shown by bolded text.

The part underlined I happen to argue with. Young love is as close as you can get to non-materialistic romance.

Bit in red shows you have no idea what is going on. I didn't write the italic text. It was a quote.

Actually I was pointing out that everyone - men and women - like to be liked. I then went on to explain why I disagree with your post overall.

I know you didn't write it, but the fact that you said you've never heard so much truth suggests you may as well have done as you agree with/believe everything in it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
And men don't want to be looked up to by their peers?
Reply 17
To all the women on here saying that men are the same... They aren't. There was a study that found women are more attracted to guys that have a lot of female attention.

On the other hand men were less attracted to women that had a lot of male attention.

I can't recall the name of the study though
Original post by Jordooooom
To all the women on here saying that men are the same... They aren't. There was a study that found women are more attracted to guys that have a lot of female attention.

On the other hand men were less attracted to women that had a lot of male attention.

I can't recall the name of the study though

"I can't recall the name of the study though"

what a coincidence....:P
Reply 19
I must be an exception to the rest of my female kind as within a month of meeting and becoming serious with my boyfriend, he lost his job. Had to move out his friends house and live rent free with his sister.

Whenever we talk about this time he always said he was worried I would leave him as in his eyes, he was a 'bum'. In my eyes though, I don't give a hoot about money or power. If rather have a friend in my partner.

Plus the herd thing happened to me. My best friend completely went against my boyfriend due to something he said to another male friend while drunk (sizing each other up sort of thing; better look after her, why you going to do something about it etc) and while those two got over it, my best friend, who wasn't even involved or AROUND at the time of the alleged conversation ultimately rejected him.

I turned around and told her to knock it off or to essentially get lost. Unfortunately I am fair in everything and their spat had been resolved, while she had an issue over nothing that didn't even concern her. I sided with my boyfriend and not her.

So not only do I not seek power through my partner, I also went against the 'herd' so to speak.

Then again I'm not really a fond lover of children not do I clean, so I'm not a great female stereotype all around, lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending