The Student Room Group

is sex drive socially constructed?

there seems to be a belief going' round that men and women see sex the same way and they only behave differently , as in guys are after casual sex (with much lower standards in looks ) a lot more than women because they are encouraged or even ''forced'' by society, while women are slut-shamed for promiscuity so therefore try to suppress their urge to mate with just about every guy they see on the street. so if all social factors were eliminated men and women would act exactly the same on the ''sexual market''.

of course, this goes hand in hand with blank slate and men and women are exactly the same : having 10-20 times more testosterone does not influence your sex drive, women see sex the same way as men and don't get emotionally involved etc.

Scroll to see replies

Sex drive is dependent on hormones. But the idea that men have a higher sex drive than women is false, it depends on the individual.
Reply 2
Men on average have a much higher sex drive than women. Believing that women have an equal one is a social construct.

Also I'd like to add that as we have seen in previous threads women have identical views about a man having too many partners as men do to women.

Slut shaming and player hating. Both are unfair! *rolls eyes*

Original post by shadowdweller
Sex drive is dependent on hormones. But the idea that men have a higher sex drive than women is false, it depends on the individual.

The average man has a much higher sex drive than the average woman and you know it. It's called evolution :-)
Original post by Huskaris
The average man has a much higher sex drive than the average woman and you know it. It's called evolution :-)

On average possibly, but it still does vary on an individual basis, which is something people seem to ignore.
Reply 4
On average possibly, but it still does vary on an individual basis, which is something people seem to ignore.

Ok then. Everyone can we please stop saying that leopards are faster than turtles because that's not the case because some leopards have no legs. Stop generalising so much everyone! There are one or two exceptions!
Ok then. Everyone can we please stop saying that leopards are faster than turtles because that's not the case because some leopards have no legs. Stop generalising so much everyone! There are one or two exceptions!

Clearly not what I meant.

All I'm saying is that men having a higher sex drive is often used to try and justify the player v. slut argument, when it's not necessarily accurate. (Nor justifiable, but that's a different argument)
Reply 6
Clearly not what I meant.

All I'm saying is that men having a higher sex drive is often used to try and justify the player v. slut argument, when it's not necessarily accurate. (Nor justifiable, but that's a different argument)

Look at the girls would you date... Thread. Vast majority of girls would not date a guy with more than 30 sexual partners.

Insecurities being projected onto men, abusive relationship as a consequence and yet another example of player shaming. All women disgust me as a consequence and I will spend my life spouting bull**** about equality on TSR for the rest of my life as a consequence ;-)
Look at the girls would you date... Thread. Vast majority of girls would not date a guy with more than 30 sexual partners.

Insecurities being projected onto men, abusive relationship as a consequence and yet another example of player shaming. All women disgust me as a consequence and I will spend my life spouting bull**** about equality on TSR for the rest of my life as a consequence ;-)

I'm not talking about women's views on it atm, I'm talking about men's; it seems a frequently spouted opinion on here that it's fine for men to sleep around but not women, and that view is usually coming from men.
Reply 8
This is TSR. Very few of the guys here sleep around. And as I said women have exactly the same views about men not being able to sleep around. Then again im guessing that admitting that wouldn't fit in with your blinkered view of the world.

After all the whole world is based around us men oppressing women at every opportunity. I actually have a tally chart for how many women I have oppressed this week, gets me so excited.

You're luckily in a quickly fading minority of women who believe that men all view women as possessions and all we do is pass judgement on them. We spend half our lives worshipping women not trying to do them down.

Grow up and get over the fact you can't get any and do something to solve the issue rather than taking it out on men.
(edited 10 years ago)
This is TSR. Very few of the guys here sleep around. And as I said women have exactly the same views about men not being able to sleep around. Then again im guessing that admitting that wouldn't fit in with your blinkered view of the world.

After all the whole world is based around us men oppressing women at every opportunity. I actually have a tally chart for how manga women I have oppressed this week, gets me so excited.

You're luckily in a quickly fading minority of women who believe that men all view women as possessions and all we do is pass judgement on them. We spend half our lives worshipping women not trying to do them down.

Grow up and get over the fact you can't get any and do something to solve the issue rather than taking it out on men.

I'm not saying TSR is reflective of general viewpoints or anything, it's a for instance. You're missing my point, it seems more commonplace for women to think people shouldn't sleep around, period, and men to think men can but not women. Obviously this isn't true of everyone.

I've not said anything about women being oppressed by men.

I'm not taking anything out on men, I'm simply stating an opinion.

After all the whole world is based around us men oppressing women at every opportunity. I actually have a tally chart for how many women I have oppressed this week, gets me so excited.

Grow up yourself and stop being rude just because has a different view.
Reply 11
I'm not saying TSR is reflective of general viewpoints or anything, it's a for instance. You're missing my point, it seems more commonplace for women to think people shouldn't sleep around, period, and men to think men can but not women. Obviously this isn't true of everyone.

I've not said anything about women being oppressed by men.

I'm not taking anything out on men, I'm simply stating an opinion.

So women think people shouldn't sleep around and men think men should but women can't.

Now who's generalising.

I'm sorry but the vast majority of your arguments and viewpoints are divisive and a joke. Stop having a go at men all the time and get over whatever it is that's bugging you. It's you who has the problem dear.

The vast majority of people don't hold these views you preach on about. I just don't see what yourn problem is.
Reply 12
Original post by qwertyking

Oh just in time for the white knight. Go on bro, maybe you'll get to bang this one! Maybe this one will go for it! Probably not though :-)
This is an interesting question, and one that I'm sure the answer has changed to over the decades.

Biologically, men are bound to have a higher sex drive. They have the physical ability to reproduce almost infinitely; they could have sex with five plus women a day and conceive children each time (in theory, though unlikely to be successful every time) if they really wanted to. Men need to spread their genes as much as they can and as soon as they can, and to some extent this explains why their sex drive tends to be higher - because although the majority will stick to one partner now, the need to have sex as much as possible hasn't gone entirely.

Women, however, can have one pregnancy per year, approximately. They know this, and having unprotected sex has much, much greater implications for them than for men - physically at least. In the past, any woman having unprotected sex would have had to accept the fact that this may result in being in a life threatening condition - as pregnancy often used to be - and in tremendous pain, followed by the life long commitment of parenthood.

Now that people have sex more for pleasure than reproductive, I do think that things are getting more equal. However, the thought and reality that men want more sex than women has never quite been shook off, so there is still some truth in that.

We will always be biologically different, and have exactly the same hormones as we did when sexual differences were a survival instinct.
So women think people shouldn't sleep around and men think men should but women can't.

Now who's generalising.

I'm sorry but the vast majority of your arguments and viewpoints are divisive and a joke. Stop having a go at men all the time and get over whatever it is that's bugging you. It's you who has the problem dear.

The vast majority of people don't hold these views you preach on about. I just don't see what yourn problem is.

I already said this isn't the view of everyone - nor is it true of the majority - they just seem to be the more prominent viewpoints on here.

I'm not having a go at men? All I said initially was that sex drive varies between individuals, and you've pretty much been attacking my stance from the off.

Idgaf what people's views on promiscuity are, providing they're not hypocritical. Doesn't mean I'm preaching anything if o question something though.
Reply 15
I already said this isn't the view of everyone - nor is it true of the majority - they just seem to be the more prominent viewpoints on here.

I'm not having a go at men? All I said initially was that sex drive varies between individuals, and you've pretty much been attacking my stance from the off.

Idgaf what people's views on promiscuity are, providing they're not hypocritical. Doesn't mean I'm preaching anything if o question something though.

Surely it's hypocritical to bang on about slut shaming when women feel the same way?

To be honest I can see your viewpoints won't change. Obviously me saying this doesn't come from just this thread it comes from seeing a fair few of your posts dotted around the site, and generally they give me the viewpoint that you only see what you want to see to be honest.

Men and women have faults, because we are people. Go after the individuals and not an entire gender.
The idea that men and women are equal biologically is a social construct.
Surely it's hypocritical to bang on about slut shaming when women feel the same way?

To be honest I can see your viewpoints won't change. Obviously me saying this doesn't come from just this thread it comes from seeing a fair few of your posts dotted around the site, and generally they give me the viewpoint that you only see what you want to see to be honest.

Men and women have faults, because we are people. Go after the individuals and not an entire gender.

Not really, I'd call women out on slut shaming too, but I see it less often. Obviously this is likely due to the threads I go on.

I don't recall expressing a view point elsewhere beyond there being nothing wrong with promiscuity. And yes, my viewpoint on that won't change.

I'm not even going after the entire gender. If you have, as you say, seen my posts dotted around the site, you'll see they address individual viewpoints on the subject, not some hypothetical collective viewpoint of men, because there isn't one.
Original post by qwertyking

Appreciated :hat2:
Men on average have a much higher sex drive than women.

So you have experience of being a man and a woman? Wow.

No? You don't?

Then why are you speaking for women?

And do not use evolutionary theory in the most rudimentary way possible. People on here constantly put 'it's evolutionary theory!' onto the end of their opinion like their backing it up with evidence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending