The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by lovekitty123
Im interested in studying medicine abroad. Im from London. I cant decide between these two universities?

Pros and Cons of Both?

Thanks in advance!

I looked at Palacky as thought it was amazing especially when I saw this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1nHw2xhw3M

Unfortunately Czech Rep was just too much money for my family. Palacky facilities are supposed to be fantastic.
Reply 2
Both have very good, modern faculties as far as im aware... I think there is a larger number of international students at Masaryk though... whether thats an advantage or a disadvantage depends on you I guess.
Reply 3
I know very little about Masaryk university too and how to apply there, outreacheducation can help you to apply to palacky for free and they offer free advice. I'm taking the entrance exam in March.
Reply 4
Original post by brokenrose
I know very little about Masaryk university too and how to apply there, outreacheducation can help you to apply to palacky for free and they offer free advice. I'm taking the entrance exam in March.

Same here... are you sitting it in London or Manchester if you dont mind me asking :tongue:?
Reply 5
Why go abroad out of interest?
Reply 6
Original post by Hades_M
Same here... are you sitting it in London or Manchester if you dont mind me asking :tongue:?

I think I told you on a different thread, I'm taking it in manchester! What about you?
Reply 7
I think I told you on a different thread, I'm taking it in manchester! What about you?

London, only because the exam is a day earlier. How is your prep for the exam? I feel the chem and maths will be OK but the biology spec is so broad and a lot of it is beyond or not in my A level bio spec :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by Hades_M
London, only because the exam is a day earlier. How is your prep for the exam? I feel the chem and maths will be OK but the biology spec is so broad and a lot of it is beyond or not in my A level bio spec :s-smilie:

What exam board are you for biology a level?

Also, are you taking the entrance exam for masaryk or palacky?
Reply 9
Original post by Hades_M

The prep is going ok, I have taken a week off from work to focus on it fully (I'm currently taking a gap year). What about you? Apparently the chemistry is harder (that's what I read somewhere) I don't know why though. I completely gar with you on the biology aspect, I even borrowed my friends human biology book and that doesn't help :frown: . Good luck though!
Reply 10
Original post by Hades_M

Also I saw somewhere that you applied for Charles uni too, which faculty? I applied to hradec kralove only because I got AAB so I don't need to take the entrance exam :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by 345rty
Why go abroad out of interest?

There are many reasons, for me personally only considered it because I got AAB, I was forced to take a gap year due to conditions and going abroad is less years that doing biomed + med and actually the same number of years doing normal med as you only have to do 1 year training as a foundation doctor as the course is 6 years. To me now it probably is for the best as I love traveling so going to another would be great experience. I hope that makes it clearer :smile:
Reply 12
What exam board are you for biology a level?

Also, are you taking the entrance exam for masaryk or palacky?

We are talking about palacky uni, and I took ocr biology.
Reply 13
We are talking about palacky uni, and I took ocr biology.

oh right, im also really interested in palacky, out of interest, have you visited the uni or the city? if so, whats it like?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
oh right, im also really interested in palacky, out of interest, have you visited the uni or the city? if so, whats it like?

Also, im also taking OCR biology and doing AS at the moment (retaking the year) im finding biology really hard:frown: any tips? on revision etc?

No unfortunately I wasn't able to see the uni before hand but it's quite a modern building (you know the ones with like glass windows everywhere) but in a old city (I love old buildings :P) . I was told they have very new modern facilities better than some of the unis in uk.

With regards to biology pick out the subjects that you find difficult and make it into bite size revision cards and take these with you every where and when possible just read it and test yourself. Make bigger revision maps for diagrams eg the immunisation responses. Give yourself 10 mins and see how much you can regurgitate without looking. Key with this is repitition. Does that help? X
Reply 15
Also I saw somewhere that you applied for Charles uni too, which faculty? I applied to hradec kralove only because I got AAB so I don't need to take the entrance exam :smile:

After looking into it a bit I realized I would not like it at Charles so im not going to apply there anymore, I am going to sit the IMAT for medical schools in Italy though
Reply 16
Original post by Hades_M
After looking into it a bit I realized I would not like it at Charles so im not going to apply there anymore, I am going to sit the IMAT for medical schools in Italy though

I was going to apply to Italy unis but I read somewhere that because they are very catholic country they don't allow dissections in medical schools. I might be wrong though...
Reply 17
No unfortunately I wasn't able to see the uni before hand but it's quite a modern building (you know the ones with like glass windows everywhere) but in a old city (I love old buildings :P) . I was told they have very new modern facilities better than some of the unis in uk.

With regards to biology pick out the subjects that you find difficult and make it into bite size revision cards and take these with you every where and when possible just read it and test yourself. Make bigger revision maps for diagrams eg the immunisation responses. Give yourself 10 mins and see how much you can regurgitate without looking. Key with this is repitition. Does that help? X

Yeah i'll try those revision techniques, its just biology has so much info you need to memorize :frown:, i guess i better get used to it now if I want to do medicine :P , Thank you so much:smile: x

I was going to apply to Italy unis but I read somewhere that because they are very catholic country they don't allow dissections in medical schools. I might be wrong though...

yeah i read that somewhere too, it would suck if its true
Reply 18

Yeah I know they don't allow dissections which I guess is subjective when you question whether or not it is essential in a medical school, but the tuition fees are only around £1500-2000 per year as opposed to £8000 for Palacky, the faculties are pretty good too so I thought it's worth a shot
Reply 19
Original post by Hades_M
Yeah I know they don't allow dissections which I guess is subjective when you question whether or not it is essential in a medical school, but the tuition fees are only around £1500-2000 per year as opposed to £8000 for Palacky, the faculties are pretty good too so I thought it's worth a shot

Good luck! I think you'll do great, are you doing the mcats then?

Latest

Trending

Trending