The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL MSc Financial Risk Management, anyone on this course?

hi there, is anyone currently on the UCL MSc Financial Risk Management, anyone on this course?

I have a question with regard to the dissertation part of the course, which requires students to undertake a work placement, and i am just wondering whether or not this is something the UCL organize and list out for student, or is it students have to find a placement themselves?

thanks
Reply 1
Original post by dawgnut
hi there, is anyone currently on the UCL MSc Financial Risk Management, anyone on this course?

I have a question with regard to the dissertation part of the course, which requires students to undertake a work placement, and i am just wondering whether or not this is something the UCL organize and list out for student, or is it students have to find a placement themselves?

thanks

Hello there,

I applied for this course last 2 weeks. Have you heard anything from UCL?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by moz5072
Hello there,

I applied for this course last 2 weeks. Have you heard anything from UCL?

Hi yes, my second reference was submitted early Dec.

I got an offer in late Feb. Good luck.

I actually sat one of the lectures last Friday, intending to sit one more tomorrow to get a feel of the course.
Reply 3
95% foreign guarantee you.
Reply 4
Original post by dawgnut

I actually sat one of the lectures last Friday, intending to sit one more tomorrow to get a feel of the course.

Thats really nice. So you live in London? Please let me know what do you think about this course because I heard so many negative comments about it. Since Msc Financial Risk Management is under Computer Science, are we expected to have a strong background in computer?
Reply 5
Original post by moz5072
Thats really nice. So you live in London? Please let me know what do you think about this course because I heard so many negative comments about it. Since Msc Financial Risk Management is under Computer Science, are we expected to have a strong background in computer?

I did my undergrad at UCL, so I really wanted to change a place for my postgrad, and currently I am deliberating between UCL, Imperial and Oxford. (Statistics course for the latter two)

In terms of the course, and as much as I could find out, firstly, it is a course offered by computer science, but there are a good proportion of students who don't have background in VBA or Matlab currently on the course. It is not really a problem if you put effort into it, and you can be selective with your elective modules to minimize computing modules. Do note that VBA skills are highly regarded in front office S&T and middle office functions such as risk, finance and/or compliance.

There are 2 main reason why I am finding it hard to decline my offer at UCL.

One it is because this course is basically a finance master programme, if you have a look at the finance course offered at other unis or at ucl (Financial mathematics), they are all about the same content. But for domestic students, MSc FRM only cost £10.5k, whereas MSc FM cost £19k at ucl, and MSc Finance cost over £27k at other universities.

The other reason is that, as part of the dissertation for MSc FRM, UCL will help you find a summer placement and the dissertation is based on that. I found out that many of the summer placements are often allocated into investment banks, mostly likely middle office functions like risk, finance and compliance. The selection criteria is based on your previous experience in VBA/Matlab. Whereas no other university offer a summer placement for MSc finance course as far as I know.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by dawgnut
I did my undergrad at UCL, so I really wanted to change a place for my postgrad, and currently I am deliberating between UCL, Imperial and Oxford. (Statistics course for the latter two)

In terms of the course, and as much as I could find out, firstly, it is a course offered by computer science, but there are a good proportion of students who don't have background in VBA or Matlab currently on the course. It is not really a problem if you put effort into it, and you can be selective with your elective modules to minimize computing modules. Do note that VBA skills are highly regarded in front office S&T and middle office functions such as risk, finance and/or compliance.

There are 2 main reason why I am finding it hard to decline my offer at UCL.

One it is because this course is basically a finance master programme, if you have a look at the finance course offered at other unis or at ucl (Financial mathematics), they are all about the same content. But for domestic students, MSc FRM only cost £10.5k, whereas MSc FM cost £19k at ucl, and MSc Finance cost over £27k at other universities.

The other reason is that, as part of the dissertation for MSc FRM, UCL will help you find a summer placement and the dissertation is based on that. I found out that many of the summer placements are often allocated into investment banks, mostly likely middle office functions like risk, finance and compliance. The selection criteria is based on your previous experience in VBA/Matlab. Whereas no other university offer a summer placement for MSc finance course as far as I know.

About the placement, is that true? I am also applying to this program and still wait to hear back from UCL
Reply 7
Original post by vtran
About the placement, is that true? I am also applying to this program and still wait to hear back from UCL

Yea, I was told by a current student that the programme director will organize the placement for you. As a FRM student, you will complete a previous work experience form or any experience in programming (VBA/matlab), but they only notify you what placement you were allocated in the 3rd term.

A past student was allocated to Deutsche bank (proper 10 week summer placement) developing some risk analysis toolkit, VaR calculations and etc..
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by dawgnut
Yea, I was told by a current student that the programme director will organize the placement for you. As a FRM student, you will complete a previous work experience form or any experience in programming (VBA/matlab), but they only notify you what placement you were allocated in 3rd term.

A past student was allocated to Deutsche bank developing some risk analysis toolkit, VaR calculations and etc..

This one is probably the most difficult among those I applied to lol
Reply 9
Original post by vtran
This one is probably the most difficult among those I applied to lol

Best of luck friend
Reply 10
Original post by dawgnut

I have also received and accepted an unconditional offer. How did you like the lecture? And what kind of impression do you have of the program?
Reply 11
To those who had received an offer. Did you have to sit a GMAT beforehand?
Reply 12
Original post by svidisson
I have also received and accepted an unconditional offer. How did you like the lecture? And what kind of impression do you have of the program?

Hi friend, will see you on the course )

I went to a Friday lecture (3 hours LOL) started at 8am, this is the only module (and probably the only module at UCL) that starts so early. (Compliance Risk and Regulation the compulsory module)

The lecture starts with a rota system whereby 1 student (everyone has to do it at one point and only once) will do a 5-10min presentation on what happened in the financial world/news on that particular week.

Then for the first hour, a trader (associate I think) from JPM came in to talk to the class about commodity derivatives trading in practise (was more focused on commodity as an asset class mainly on electricity, its nature, and few examples during the financial crises)

For the last 2 hours, a (compliance & risk?) senior analysts from Lehman brothers came in and talked about his work involved back with Lehman, Lehmans history during the 2008 collapse and how he still currently trying to resolve some of its problems

The "Stochastic Methods in Finance" module is all about basic financial product concepts. How bonds works, how to calculate values of bonds, how is Black Scholes formulae used etc... its a text book module and exam

Both modules are not computer programming related

I personally think the programme is great, I deliberated a long time between my offer at Imperial (MSc Statistics which has a lot of finance component) and this offer, and chose UCL at the end; because it is more relevant to where my interest lies, and the big bonus is the dissertation this course offered helps you set up a summer placement in the financial sector
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by ThetrueJon
To those who had received an offer. Did you have to sit a GMAT beforehand?

GMAT not applicable to UK students sorry
Reply 14
Original post by svidisson

Oh, comparing to MSc Finance at, let's say Imperial or LSE.

Imperial and LSE do find better visiting speakers for their lectures, mainly because UCL doesn't have a business school and it is not as specialized as LSE. People often say things like Imperial and LSE MSc Finance therefore have better alumni network.

To some extend I think that is true, but I personally believe alumni network in general are not as strong as people make it out to be, it is fundamentally down to how initiative you are as a person. I genuinely believe MSc FRM is one of the most cost effective course offered in the UK for home students. (The only better alternative is the MPhil ISMM offered at cambridge, but that is not targeted at finance)

If tuition fees were equal, I'd probably still choose LSE/Imperial tho lol
Reply 15
Original post by dawgnut
Oh, comparing to MSc Finance at, let's say Imperial or LSE.

Imperial and LSE do find better visiting speakers for their lectures, mainly because UCL doesn't have a business school and it is not as specialized as LSE. People often say things like Imperial and LSE MSc Finance therefore have better alumni network.

To some extend I think that is true, but I personally believe alumni network in general are not as strong as people make it out to be, it is fundamentally down to how initiative you are as a person. I genuinely believe MSc FRM is one of the most cost effective course offered in the UK for home students. (The only better alternative is the MPhil ISMM offered at cambridge, but that is not targeted at finance)

If tuition fees were equal, I'd probably still choose LSE/Imperial tho lol

Thanks a lot for the information dawgnut. Sounds like the lectures are very practical. Look forward to seeing you on the course in the fall. This program was my nr.1 choice because of the high focus on programming and the industry placement.
I'll leave you a pm with my email if you want to get in touch before the course starts.
Reply 16
What were the negative comments about this course and how did you hear such comments? Did you attend this course in the end? I am looking into applying for this course in September
Hiii. Im studying past 2020. (I cant state my year otherwise I could be easily identified). Heres my piece on this programme.

1: You are definitely privileged to have been chosen for this programme, but you are unfortunate to have to go through this programme.
2: The programme is particularly aimed at students who graduated from a MSc in Quantitative Finance, Mathematics, Physics. I do not recommend this programme at all if you have chosen Economics, Finance, Engineering or Computer Science because you will suffer to understand the maths covered; there are better programmes that target students from the backgrounds mentioned for the similar Risk Management programme
3: The professors are exceptionally well qualified, and the resources you gain are plentiful (provided you actively search for them). But from personal experience, the professors do not have adequate pedagogical skills to teach students the mathematical fundamentals before approaching the financial parts, (the interactivity and teaching is approximately as good as watching a youtube video with a big slide pack).
4: If you wish to continue, keep in mind to use the student resources during your 1 year to your best potential as the fees for this programme is exceptionally high, (beyond adequate reason). Try to take full advantages of all UCL facilities, they are top class besides the education.
5: Getting to the question: UCL during my year organized work placements. We had a choice of projects offered by industries, (anonymized so that we dont choose based on company profile but rather project interest). Note: you can choose a work placement of your own provided it aligns with your programme and you can identify a project that meets the criterion of your placement and espescially university programme. You can also choose to work on an academic project with a supervisor. BUT; only work placements you seek out yourself can be with pay. Nothing UCL offers comes with pay for the most part.

To sum up; a degree at UCL can go a long way, and your experience at UCL can be good given you match the criterion as mentioned above, and actively involve yourself. But I am sure there are better opportunities elsewhere for a lower fees with better teaching, (though perhaps not with the same brand value as UCL).
absolutely right. Its a cash cow programme for the university, and as I have come to find out, Masters is not popular in UK, (probably due to the added cost)(Original post by Zenomorph)

Original post by Zenomorph
95% foreign guarantee you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending