The Student Room Group

UCL Medicine Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by whizzkid17
Hi guys,
Does anyone by any chance remember the 1st essay question on section 3, something about things falling apart??
Thanks in advance!!

It was sth like "You only get to understand things not when they work properly but when they start to fall apart", so the idea is that it is studying things when they are defective that gives you an insight into its workings. A good example is studying enzymes and biochemical pathways when they are defective.
Original post by Andante22
It was sth like "You only get to understand things not when they work properly but when they start to fall apart", so the idea is that it is studying things when they are defective that gives you an insight into its workings. A good example is studying enzymes and biochemical pathways when they are defective.

Ah thanks, I also did this question!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by medicboy2014
Were you interviewed on Wednesday, then?

Yeah I was :yep:
Original post by jared777
UCL are quite good actually, I heard in a week (most people do I think) so it shouldn't be too long :smile: good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, still haven't heard back from them though :eek:
Reply 1143
http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/images/164792-past-paper-2013-section-3.pdf

if any one needs the bmat essay questions follow the link!! :smile:
Reply 1144
Original post by tehreem5
http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/images/164792-past-paper-2013-section-3.pdf

if any one needs the bmat essay questions follow the link!! :smile:

No wonder I did so bad in the BMAT!! There are hardly any C's!! LOL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1145
Original post by Andante22
Both, actually. If you get invited, make ABSOLUTELY sure you accept the invitation. I only clicked the first confirmation but not the second one and would have almost missed my invitation, but my spidey-sense told me log into Portico and there I saw that the invitation was not yet accepted :biggrin: So accept the eventual invitation STRAIGHT AFTER you read the email!!!

What's Portico? Do you need it?! I've applied for 2014 entry :s-smilie:
Original post by Bockers
What's Portico? Do you need it?! I've applied for 2014 entry :s-smilie:

There will be an address in one of the emails you got in the beginning (after applying) to register in their online service for students.
Reply 1147
How is this address relevant to Portico? I remember it saying I should register to the UCL applicant portal but as I tried this I kept getting asked for a student number to register which is apparently in the email they sent me but I couldn't find it anyway. After a while trying to get onto it I just dismissed it as not very important if they make it so awkward to get onto! Maybe should have tried some more :\ There was no hyperlinks, only a brief mention, on the "Your application to UCL Medical School" of it and they didn't even name it.

Anyway, help would be appreciated as this is really starting to get me worried seen as the very final interview invitations are being given out soon :s-smilie: Do you think I need to be registered to be called for interview?
Original post by Bockers
How is this address relevant to Portico? I remember it saying I should register to the UCL applicant portal but as I tried this I kept getting asked for a student number to register which is apparently in the email they sent me but I couldn't find it anyway. After a while trying to get onto it I just dismissed it as not very important if they make it so awkward to get onto! Maybe should have tried some more :\ There was no hyperlinks, only a brief mention, on the "Your application to UCL Medical School" of it and they didn't even name it.

Anyway, help would be appreciated as this is really starting to get me worried seen as the very final interview invitations are being given out soon :s-smilie: Do you think I need to be registered to be called for interview?

I don't really think so - in my invitation email it was written that if I had not registered for Portico, I should do so. You can also contact admissions office if you're more comfortable with that.
Reply 1149
Does anybody know if you need to fill in any forms (other than the pre-interview ones) at UCL before the interview, like King's?
Reply 1150
Hey, are there any first year medics at UCL who could tell me how many hours of lectures you have per week in the first year? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey i have my interview next week at UCL pleeease help - any tips from people who have already done it?!
Reply 1152
Hey everyone!

Just a quick question to all you Medical Applicant this year....

Will I be at a disadvantage if I drop an A-Level for year 13, and carry on with 3?
Reply 1153
Original post by stu23
Hey everyone!

Just a quick question to all you Medical Applicant this year....

Will I be at a disadvantage if I drop an A-Level for year 13, and carry on with 3?

I think at UCL you have to do 3 A-Levels at an AS in year 13 at least... (if I remember correctly) :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1154
i'm actually going to cry... i'm so desperate for an interview! :s-smilie: please UCL!
Guys my interview is tomorrow, any tips would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Offer! Interview on 25th February.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by great life
Offer! Interview on 25th February.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, how did you think your interview went? Were the interviewers nice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by timeywimey
Hi, how did you think your interview went? Were the interviewers nice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought my interview was pretty good but couldn't be certain of an offer. The panel was friendly; all three had questions to ask, mostly on BMAT essay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by great life
I thought my interview was pretty good but couldn't be certain of an offer. The panel was friendly; all three had questions to ask, mostly on BMAT essay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Did they ask you about anything that wasn't mentioned in your ps? Like nhs reforms etc? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending