The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9220
Original post by danny111
So I just watched Like Stars on Earth

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0986264/?ref_=nv_sr_1

It is an Indian film about a boy who has dyslexia and is shunned by everyone, labelled as stupid and lazy, until one art teacher realizes it and sets out to help him. The little kids acting is amazing, the story is so beautiful I cried at parts. Would urge people to watch it!
Looks good, might check it out. Thanks for recommending it.
Reply 9221
Does anyone else wonder why there are mistakes in some films? Do the directors leave them in there on purpose, or are they genuine accidents?
Original post by Glare
Does anyone else wonder why there are mistakes in some films? Do the directors leave them in there on purpose, or are they genuine accidents?

Interesting question. I love those youtube videos of movie errors.

I think they are mostly just accidents. There might be easter eggs here and there, but the majority is probably just oversight. And I think even if noticed they are left in there because well you can't shoot every scene again just because some minor continuity error.
I am going to a special screening of Black Angel on Friday. For those who don't know it is the short film which was played before Empire Strikes Back in 1980 and was thought to have been lost forever until it was recently rediscovered. There is a Q and A with the writer/director Roger Christian afterwards. Christian was Art director for the original Star Wars films and Alien and has also written/directed several short and feature length films including The Sender and Nostradamus.

He also directed Battlefield Earth which is considered one of the worst films ever made, but apart from that he has had nothing but praise.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Christian_(filmmaker)

I have a couple of questions in mind but was wondering if anyone could think of any interesting questions I could ask him?
Reply 9224
I'm now down to 74 films on my "to see" list :/ lol
Reply 9225
Does anyone love 'Cavatina', the theme from The Deer Hunter?

How disappointing! :frown:

(I'm following your blog btw :mmm:)
Reply 9228
Anyone else seen Chinatown? I think it's slid quite nicely in to my list of top films, it's been a while since a film's had me thinking so much afterwards!
Ain't no party like a 1AM Oscar party tonight! :awesome: So much caffeine and wine has been consumed.
Reply 9230
Original post by Tom78
Anyone else seen Chinatown? I think it's slid quite nicely in to my list of top films, it's been a while since a film's had me thinking so much afterwards!

Chinatown's excellent. Certainly in my top 10 or 20.
Nevermind.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9232
I'll have to watch 20 Feet from Stardom, but I'm finding it very hard to believe that The Act of Killing wasn't the best documentary (and probably the best film) released this year.
Reply 9233
Catching up on the Oscars results and happenings from last night (no awards for American Hustle which is a result!!) and see the headline that Alain Resnais has died. 91 years but still RIP. Only seen a couple of his films but Hiroshima, mon amour is an absolute gem.
I managed to correctly guess most of the Oscar's results with ever seeing any of the films nominated :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Academy seemed to get most decisions (the main ones, anyway) correct, which makes a nice change.
Reply 9236
Original post by bhav777
I stick to The Film Review on BBC News and the /Filmcast podcast.

What website is this podcast on?
Reply 9237
Original post by scjman
What website is this podcast on?

/Filmcast here. If you use a podcast app, I'm sure you'll find the rss feed. Check out a couple of episodes and see what you think.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9238
It was a great set of results, glad to see McConaughey get the nod, and 12 years was always gonna pick up best picture. Speaking as someone who hasn't seen it, was Cuaron's win for best director justified?
Reply 9239
- However, did anyone else thing McConaughey came across as really conceited during his speech? I even thought he was drunk at one point haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending