The Student Room Group

GCSE Triple Science HELP!!! - Y11

Hello, as you're aware, the exams have changed to linear, so I have to sit 3 Core, 3 Additional and 3 Triple Science exams in May/June. I already have my Core Science grade, which I'm pleased with, but I still have to do Core again - 4 Science GCSEs overall.

I have been revising daily since the 18th January and I am starting to worry that Triple Science won't sink in in time! I'm not saying that it's REALLY REALLY hard, but it is a step up from Additional! Because eacch exam, let's take Biology for example, is 25%. So Core - 25%, Additional - 25%, Triple - 25% and the ISA - 25%. I have got an A in my ISA, we're doing another anyway, and an A* in Core last year - so I hope to copy this in Biology. So let's just assume I get an A in my ISA and an A* in Core. I also found Additional easier than expected, so without sounding cocky - that's just not who I am, so let's go with another A/A*.

I really feel that I may only get a C/B in Triple Biology, maybe all of Triple, so will this jeopaedise my chances of getting an A* overall? - THIS IS THE QUESTION, SO FEEL FREE TO SKIP ALL THE NONSENSICAL DRIVEL!

- In fact, each Science is very similar for me, so I would be pretty upset if I got a C in Triple and got pushed down 1 or 2 grades overall.
Reply 1
Original post by DanMargetts
Hello, as you're aware, the exams have changed to linear, so I have to sit 3 Core, 3 Additional and 3 Triple Science exams in May/June. I already have my Core Science grade, which I'm pleased with, but I still have to do Core again - 4 Science GCSEs overall.

I have been revising daily since the 18th January and I am starting to worry that Triple Science won't sink in in time! I'm not saying that it's REALLY REALLY hard, but it is a step up from Additional! Because eacch exam, let's take Biology for example, is 25%. So Core - 25%, Additional - 25%, Triple - 25% and the ISA - 25%. I have got an A in my ISA, we're doing another anyway, and an A* in Core last year - so I hope to copy this in Biology. So let's just assume I get an A in my ISA and an A* in Core. I also found Additional easier than expected, so without sounding cocky - that's just not who I am, so let's go with another A/A*.

I really feel that I may only get a C/B in Triple Biology, maybe all of Triple, so will this jeopaedise my chances of getting an A* overall? - THIS IS THE QUESTION, SO FEEL FREE TO SKIP ALL THE NONSENSICAL DRIVEL!

- In fact, each Science is very similar for me, so I would be pretty upset if I got a C in Triple and got pushed down 1 or 2 grades overall.

Core, additional and triple science are separate GCSEs. So if you get have an A* in core an A in additional but you get an D in triple it won't affect your core and additional grades. I'm sure you'll do well in triple though because core and additional only took me about 3 weeks each to revise (I mostly self taught). I'm doing triple and I'm not going to start revising until about mid April.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by DazBoy
Core, additional and triple science are separate GCSEs. So if you get have an A* in core an A in additional but you get an D in triple it won't affect your core and additional grades. I'm sure you'll do well in triple though because core and additional only took me about 3 weeks each to revise (I mostly self taught). I'm doing triple and I'm not going to start revising until about mid April.

Okay, thank you! While we're on the topic of revision, what ways do you find the most effective? I hear so many people go on about past papers, but why are these SO good? I tend to read my notes and revision guides out loud...
Reply 3
Okay, thank you! While we're on the topic of revision, what ways do you find the most effective? I hear so many people go on about past papers, but why are these SO good? I tend to read my notes and revision guides out loud...

Personally I don't think past papers are effective until you complete your revision. What I do is use the cgp revision guides and work through every page, learning the information as I go and making my own notes until I finish the whole guide. Only then should you start using past papers. They help you see what you're good at and what you need to work on.
I do the same kind of thing except. I self taught myself in the summer, using the text books because, sometimes the revision guides miss out small facts which seem insignificant but can often come up as one markers - and for an A* student, every mark counts. I make notes on the page but also print out the specification (a real time saver), so I know that my notes are only on what is necessary; often some books can ramble on about topics such as case studies, for which, if they were to give you a question on, they would give you a pre text anyway so there would be no need to try and learn this in detail. I use past papers at the end, like mentioned but, make sure to do them religiously so that the type of question style will be 100% similar. In addition, finding older papers (e.g. 2007) proves to be really useful because they tend to recycle the topics, so you can likely predict a couple which might turn up in your exam. Sorry to ramble on :colondollar: but one last thing is; usually anything that is specifically indicated as higher will most likely come up to!

PS: I got an A* in core last year too
:yeah: I got predicted A*s in triple and additional, but I'm in an awkward situation where I find additional harder than triple, mind you we have rubbish teachers for double :'(
Original post by Nerdypants98
I do the same kind of thing except. I self taught myself in the summer, using the text books because, sometimes the revision guides miss out small facts which seem insignificant but can often come up as one markers - and for an A* student, every mark counts. I make notes on the page but also print out the specification (a real time saver), so I know that my notes are only on what is necessary; often some books can ramble on about topics such as case studies, for which, if they were to give you a question on, they would give you a pre text anyway so there would be no need to try and learn this in detail. I use past papers at the end, like mentioned but, make sure to do them religiously so that the type of question style will be 100% similar. In addition, finding older papers (e.g. 2007) proves to be really useful because they tend to recycle the topics, so you can likely predict a couple which might turn up in your exam. Sorry to ramble on :colondollar: but one last thing is; usually anything that is specifically indicated as higher will most likely come up to!

PS: I got an A* in core last year too
:yeah: I got predicted A*s in triple and additional, but I'm in an awkward situation where I find additional harder than triple, mind you we have rubbish teachers for double :'(

Thank you very much, this was really helpful! Well done, that's fantastic! Yeah, I have really bad teachers for some lessons too. For example, my Biology teacher just makes us copy off a powerpoint presentation which was made before the 2014 spec. So we were learning about huntington's disease and the individual stages of mitosis and meiosis -_-

I'm not one to get stressed out, but it's really getting to me! Doing 9 hours of Science just seems so daunting! Especially because we've only just started Triple D;
Thank you very much, this was really helpful! Well done, that's fantastic! Yeah, I have really bad teachers for some lessons too. For example, my Biology teacher just makes us copy off a powerpoint presentation which was made before the 2014 spec. So we were learning about huntington's disease and the individual stages of mitosis and meiosis -_-

I'm not one to get stressed out, but it's really getting to me! Doing 9 hours of Science just seems so daunting! Especially because we've only just started Triple D;

Ah, I know the pain. My ict teacher tells us to write four points for a one mark question: she claims that she will mark us down in our mocks etc. it's ridiculous how often the student is right but the teacher refuses to listen or clearly doesn't understand where they are going wrong.
Original post by Nerdypants98
Ah, I know the pain. My ict teacher tells us to write four points for a one mark question: she claims that she will mark us down in our mocks etc. it's ridiculous how often the student is right but the teacher refuses to listen or clearly doesn't understand where they are going wrong.

Wow, really?!? I'm not normally one to fill a school with anarchy and whatnot, but that is a good point! I have my Triple Bio ISA with the teacher today... dun dun duuuun...
Reply 8
I'm sorry but what do you mean by triple is divided into core, double and separate? Because from my knowledge and my teacher's explanation I thought that it was divided into chem. bio and phys. not by modules like double?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Don't stress too much about triple, it's actually just a repeat of the previous 6 units, just with more details. It also talks about some new things but not too much unlike the previous units. Based on OCR's 2014 thing, we're learning more about homeostasis, skeletal structure. I'm actually seating the bio and chem around May this year, during year 10 due to the reforms.

Sorry, about the tone of my previous post I'm just surprised about the separation but then i remembered that you might be doing a different exam. Good puck, mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Firenze26
Don't stress too much about triple, it's actually just a repeat of the previous 6 units, just with more details. It also talks about some new things but not too much unlike the previous units. Based on OCR's 2014 thing, we're learning more about homeostasis, skeletal structure. I'm actually seating the bio and chem around May this year, during year 10 due to the reforms.

Sorry, about the tone of my previous post I'm just surprised about the separation but then i remembered that you might be doing a different exam. Good puck, mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah right okay, it's all cleared up now, thank you!

Good luck too, I'm sure you'll smash 'em!

Quick Reply

Latest