The Student Room Group

Should I report my girlfriend for assault?

A couple of days ago during a big argument my girlfriend kicked me (very hard) in the balls. It had gotten to the stage where we were just throwing insults at each other, she made a remark about me being small in the downstairs department so I responded by calling her fat and flat chested. That's when she kicked me. I'm hoping that there will be no permanent damage, but there's a lot of swelling and bruising.. Anyway, she has since apologised by text message, but I'm considering whether I should report her. I don't see why she should get away with it to be honest. Even if she hasn't done me any permanent harm, she could have done and it could even have stopped me having children in the future. The main thing stopping me is the embarassment involved, I don't really want to have to face being interviewed and examined etc. So what do you think? Should I report her?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's domestic violence which needs reporting. So, yes.
Reply 2
Swelling and bruising? Yes.

Unless you are someone who bruises really easily she must have hit you hard.

Take some photos (however embarrassing). I'd consider going to the doctor just to be safe (if things get twisted down there... well Bad Things Can Happen). It would also support any case against her.

What a horrible person. Good luck.
Reply 3
If you do then the relationship will be over. You could always just dump her and shag her friends/sister/mother - bound to piss her off more.
Original post by arson_fire
If you do then the relationship will be over. You could always just dump her and shag her friends/sister/mother - bound to piss her off more.

That will make her sad now but reporting her will ruin her life

pretty sure reporting her will piss her off more
Reply 5
Personally I'd leave it out of the hands of the police. I can handle **** like that. However:

If you want to continue dating her: No.

If you don't: Yes.
Dont think she will be your girlfriend for much longer if you do
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
A couple of days ago during a big argument my girlfriend kicked me (very hard) in the balls. It had gotten to the stage where we were just throwing insults at each other, she made a remark about me being small in the downstairs department so I responded by calling her fat and flat chested. That's when she kicked me. I'm hoping that there will be no permanent damage, but there's a lot of swelling and bruising.. Anyway, she has since apologised by text message, but I'm considering whether I should report her. I don't see why she should get away with it to be honest. Even if she hasn't done me any permanent harm, she could have done and it could even have stopped me having children in the future. The main thing stopping me is the embarassment involved, I don't really want to have to face being interviewed and examined etc. So what do you think? Should I report her?

If there's genuine bruising she must have kicked you really hard, it is definitely something you have the right to report her for. Sadly, with patriachy still in effect, it's often thought to be acceptable for women to assault men. It may be embarassing, but it's for the good of society, to spread the message that domestic abuse is never ok.

I hope you mean ex-girlfriend, as well.
Reply 8
Original post by nopenopenope
That will make her sad now but reporting her will ruin her life

pretty sure reporting her will piss her off more

Over exaggerating it a bit! As its a minor assault, unless there are independent witnesses who would be willing to go to court, or she admits to it, she won`t be prosecuted. Even if she was, and found guilty, she would likely get a fine or community service both of which would be spent convictions after 5 years.
[earlier post removed]

Note: I'm sorry if I caused offence with my earlier comments, my reaction regarding the police was strongly influenced by events involving a friend.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Can't believe people are telling him not to go to the police. Imagine if it was the other way around and he had attacked her and left her with bruising and swelling, people would be ****ing outraged.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Yes (even if she doesn't get charged it will still be on the record), and break up with her.
Reply 12
The police won't do anything mate, but you probably should report it.

Best of luck though, violence in relationships is awful, but no one who can help will be interested in you.

You should end the relationship though man, you can't let it keep going
Why is she still your girlfriend, and why WOULDN'T you report her? :|
Reply 14
Some of the people on this post are everything that is wrong with the World today. 'It's only minor', 'Nobody will do anything about it', 'The police wont help you'. I'm absolutely disgusted. As Machop said above, Imagine if this was the other way around! The man would be in a cell already. Of course he should report it. It's not just women who are the victims of domestic violence and you're a ****ing idiot if you think it's not a big deal when it's the male being the victim.
Original post by rockrunride
Don't tell the police. They will do absolutely nothing to help you.

If you want to keep on dating, don't do anything. If you don't, get your own back proportionately (ie try it on with someone close to her).

What? This answer is ridiculous. So instead of reporting an attack, he should just shag one of her friends?

OP report it. Violence should be reported. Maybe if more men reported these things, the police would do more about it.

Original post by Machop
Can't believe people are telling him not to go to the police. Imagine if it was the other way around and he had attacked her and left her with bruising and swelling, people would be ****ing outraged.

This!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Report it!

If you lashed out and punched her or something, would she go to the police? Most women would.

What she did could leave you sterile and therefore incapable of having children in the future. If 10 years down the line you find yourself in that position, it will be too late to do anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Too slow to dodge out the way? Shame on you. Man up.
Reply 18
Original post by ryan9900
Some of the people on this post are everything that is wrong with the World today. 'It's only minor', 'Nobody will do anything about it', 'The police wont help you'. I'm absolutely disgusted. As Machop said above, Imagine if this was the other way around! The man would be in a cell already. Of course he should report it. It's not just women who are the victims of domestic violence and you're a ****ing idiot if you think it's not a big deal when it's the male being the victim.

I'm sure that this will some how be the patriarchy's fault too :smile:

You're right, but police just don't have interest in helping men in domestic violence, and neither does society. Look at all of the effort that goes into raising awareness into domestic abuse and how many women get beaten to a pulp by men, and how all men have to be educated not to hit women.

It's just not the case that we can only focus on women though, but we will continue to, until women decide that violence against men also requires attention.
Original post by rockrunride
Don't tell the police. They will do absolutely nothing to help you.

If you want to keep on dating, don't do anything. If you don't, get your own back proportionately (ie try it on with someone close to her).

This hasnt been said enough .

Latest

Trending

Trending