The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1260
Original post by 333obi
I plan on studying nursing and I am unsure what subjects to pick.

I am thinking of picking:

HL

Pshycology
Business studies
Visual art

SL

Maths/Maths studies
English
Swedish

Would I be able to apply to nursing courses in the uk with said subjects?

I think you'd need HL Biology for nursing courses - take that instead of visual arts or business studies. I think the rest of your options are fine, but i'm not too sure about maths.
Reply 1261
Original post by pbunny
I think you'd need HL Biology for nursing courses - take that instead of visual arts or business studies. I think the rest of your options are fine, but i'm not too sure about maths.

Wouldn't psychology be enough to get into nursing since it is a social science?
Original post by 333obi

IMO Nursing would require Biology + Psychology.
Reply 1263
Original post by pbunny

Original post by 333obi

I searched the requirements of several universities to get an idea of what they require, but it seems to be rather mixed. Southampton and Nottingham for example seem to have no requirements other than an overall score, while Manchester seems to require a science (either bio or chem) for adult nursing, but accepts psychology for child nursing. Leeds appears to ask for HL biology for child nursing, but doesn't specify anything for the other courses.

So overall, it seems to me like biology (at HL especially) is generally preferred and will be advantageous, but it's only required by a few universities.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1264
I'll be entering junior year and I have most of my courses picked out, but I've run into a couple of issues.

I know for sure that I'll be taking IB US History (HL), AP Calculus AB (SL), IB Biology (HL), AP/IB Spanish IV (SL), IB English (HL), and Theory of Knowledge/Elective.

In my senior year, I will have finished my foreign language requirement, and have no need to take an elective (also, there are very few interesting ones offered). That would leave me with only five courses. I know I want to take Psychology (SL), and I'd like to take it junior year, but that would give me seven periods junior year (and an early wake-up) and only five senior year.

1. Is it worth it to get as many credits as possible in my junior year, even if it means a very full schedule?
2. Should I worry about only taking five classes my last year in high school?
3. Should I take psychology in senior year to do an even six and six each grade, even if it means less credits junior year?
4. Should I look into taking an extra elective senior year to do seven junior/ six senior?
5. Are expensive online classes even a viable option?

Thanks for your help.
Reply 1265
I'll be entering junior year and I have most of my courses picked out, but I've run into a couple of issues.

I know for sure that I'll be taking IB US History (HL), AP Calculus AB (SL), IB Biology (HL), AP/IB Spanish IV (SL), IB English (HL), and Theory of Knowledge/Elective.

In my senior year, I will have finished my foreign language requirement, and have no need to take an elective (also, there are very few interesting ones offered). That would leave me with only five courses. I know I want to take Psychology (SL), and I'd like to take it junior year, but that would give me seven periods junior year (and an early wake-up) and only five senior year.

1. Is it worth it to get as many credits as possible in my junior year, even if it means a very full schedule?
2. Should I worry about only taking five classes my last year in high school?
3. Should I take psychology in senior year to do an even six and six each grade, even if it means less credits junior year?
4. Should I look into taking an extra elective senior year to do seven junior/ six senior?
5. Are expensive online classes even a viable option?

Thanks for your help.
Reply 1266
Hi, at uni I'm planning on studying architecture. I'm doing the IB and my options currently are:

French HL
Physics HL
Economics HL
Maths SL
English SL
Art SL

My sort of dilemma is, that I'm not sure about SL art. What's the difference between HL and SL art. At GCSE, I'm predicted a strong/high A grade, but I am quite slow and I spend a lot of time on my art. I've talked to careers and teachers and they think getting a 7 is SL maths for me will be achievable. All my other subjects I'm predicted A*'s in and received A's and A*'s in them for my mocks. Thanks! X
Hey, I'm in last year of IB and I don't take art myself but I know that HL is VERY time consuming...I think they have to have 18 pieces by the end and SL have to have 12. It really depends on you and whether you think you can handle the work!

If I were you I'd have a quick look at some good architecture courses in universities you may be interested in and see whether they require HL art. You don't want to take SL then find out it isn't enough to get you into your dream uni! :smile:
Reply 1268
Original post by emilys7
Hi, at uni I'm planning on studying architecture. I'm doing the IB and my options currently are:

French HL
Physics HL
Economics HL
Maths SL
English SL
Art SL

My sort of dilemma is, that I'm not sure about SL art. What's the difference between HL and SL art. At GCSE, I'm predicted a strong/high A grade, but I am quite slow and I spend a lot of time on my art. I've talked to careers and teachers and they think getting a 7 is SL maths for me will be achievable. All my other subjects I'm predicted A*'s in and received A's and A*'s in them for my mocks. Thanks! X

You may want to look up various universities and find out what their requirements are. I've heard a number of universities do require a portfolio for architecture, some also ask for HL maths. While there are many universities that will probably accept both subjects at SL, you may want to look it up first, depending on where you want to study.
Hey guys, I like the idea of becoming a genetic engineer one day. I'm also an aspiring writer. What subjects do you suggest I take? I'm interested in going to university in the US.
Reply 1270
Original post by Saaidh
Hey guys, I like the idea of becoming a genetic engineer one day. I'm also an aspiring writer. What subjects do you suggest I take? I'm interested in going to university in the US.

Definitely HL Biology, possibly HL English plus one other HL probes either maths or chemistry.
SL math or chemistry again, then you would need a language B and a humanity.

Obviously it all depends on what you enjoy, are good at.
Original post by gravesy
Definitely HL Biology, possibly HL English plus one other HL probes either maths or chemistry.
SL math or chemistry again, then you would need a language B and a humanity.

Obviously it all depends on what you enjoy, are good at.

By English HL, you mean Lit or Lang&Lit? I'm not sure if I want it at HL, I write mostly personally. Like, no plans to really study anything like this at uni level. I was thinking having Bio, Chem and Math at HL gives me a competitive edge at university application, right? Thanks for your advice! :biggrin:
Original post by Saaidh
By English HL, you mean Lit or Lang&Lit? I'm not sure if I want it at HL, I write mostly personally. Like, no plans to really study anything like this at uni level. I was thinking having Bio, Chem and Math at HL gives me a competitive edge at university application, right? Thanks for your advice! :biggrin:

Maths at HL is realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyy hard
About 30 people started with HL maths at the beginning of the year, there's only 8 left now
Original post by Georgie-H
Maths at HL is realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyy hard
About 30 people started with HL maths at the beginning of the year, there's only 8 left now

Im pretty good at Math! I get perfect scores at IGCSE level (not that often though, haha. I almost always make that one careless mistake. Point is I know my ****). Would that be any indication of how I'd fare at IB Mathematics? I mean, I know that there's a huge gap but in any case, I guess I'll try it at HL and drop to SL if it's too much.
Original post by Saaidh
Im pretty good at Math! I get perfect scores at IGCSE level (not that often though, haha. I almost always make that one careless mistake. Point is I know my ****). Would that be any indication of how I'd fare at IB Mathematics? I mean, I know that there's a huge gap but in any case, I guess I'll try it at HL and drop to SL if it's too much.

I think it's the huge gap that's the hardest, one of my friends is doing higher and says it's okay at the moment but she's doing 4 HLs at the moment in case it gets really bad and she can drop it and not have to learn another higher subject really quickly
Original post by Georgie-H
I think it's the huge gap that's the hardest, one of my friends is doing higher and says it's okay at the moment but she's doing 4 HLs at the moment in case it gets really bad and she can drop it and not have to learn another higher subject really quickly

Ok, I'd do something similar then, if I can! Thanks :biggrin:

Does anyone have recommendations for a humanity as someone who's very science focused? I've done GCSE Economics which I loved a lot (great teacher, useful subject). No experience with History or Geography, so I don't know what to expect I guess! Geography sounds the most science-y of all, so I'm wondering if it'd be more appealing. I dunno, thoughts?
Reply 1276
Original post by Saaidh
Ok, I'd do something similar then, if I can! Thanks :biggrin:

Does anyone have recommendations for a humanity as someone who's very science focused? I've done GCSE Economics which I loved a lot (great teacher, useful subject). No experience with History or Geography, so I don't know what to expect I guess! Geography sounds the most science-y of all, so I'm wondering if it'd be more appealing. I dunno, thoughts?

I'd take economics HL considering it's thought of as one of the easier HL subjects. I'm taking it too next year and i've also done IGCSE economics. If your doing well in economics you'll have an advantage over others doing economics since most of them wouldn't have studied it previously. And like you said economics is very useful in life.
Original post by pbunny
I'd take economics HL considering it's thought of as one of the easier HL subjects. I'm taking it too next year and i've also done IGCSE economics. If your doing well in economics you'll have an advantage over others doing economics since most of them wouldn't have studied it previously. And like you said economics is very useful in life.

Sounds great! :biggrin: I've also heard it's pretty easy before. Do universities see it as a weaker subject than, say history because of that? Since my humanity isn't important I'd like to take that I to account as well.
Reply 1278
Original post by Saaidh
Sounds great! :biggrin: I've also heard it's pretty easy before. Do universities see it as a weaker subject than, say history because of that? Since my humanity isn't important I'd like to take that I to account as well.

No, definitely not! Economics is just as respected as History. Subjects like Business and Management are seen as 'soft' humanities by universities.
Original post by pbunny
No, definitely not! Economics is just as respected as History. Subjects like Business and Management are seen as 'soft' humanities by universities.

That's great to hear! So I'll be going with

English Literature SL
French B SL
Economics HL
Biology HL
Mathematics HL (may drop to SL later)
Chemistry HL

Yeah, it's a lot of work, but it have good background on my HLs, and academics are my biggest forte. Let's see how I do! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending