The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Saw an interesting this on Songs of Praise about lent where a woman was saying she's going to start doing something extra that will help herself and others rather than giving something up for lent. What do you think about this? I think it's a good idea.
Original post by redbull55
Saw an interesting this on Songs of Praise about lent where a woman was saying she's going to start doing something extra that will help herself and others rather than giving something up for lent. What do you think about this? I think it's a good idea.

Definitely. I think the idea of Lent is helping us not only focus on God but also on the sacrifice that Jesus made and the benefit we have from it, so taking something up can be just as good as giving something up.

So I'm taking up 10 mins each morning of prayer time to help me focus on God.
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Definitely. I think the idea of Lent is helping us not only focus on God but also on the sacrifice that Jesus made and the benefit we have from it, so taking something up can be just as good as giving something up.

So I'm taking up 10 mins each morning of prayer time to help me focus on God.

Yeah there are people in hard situations and I always feel like I wanna help but knowing how to help is often the hard part, I find.

What are some ways you can suggest that I can help people?
Yeah there are people in hard situations and I always feel like I wanna help but knowing how to help is often the hard part, I find.

What are some ways you can suggest that I can help people?

Getting involved in an organisation to help people is probably your best bet, local soup kitchens or homeless shelters etc.
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Getting involved in an organisation to help people is probably your best bet, local soup kitchens or homeless shelters etc.

I know these are good things to do but I wanna kind of help people out with the root of their problems and help them get out of the situation they are in. I feel like these institutions already exist, though. I think as long as these institutions get better, then people are a lot more likely to succeed. Sounds obvious I know lol but yeah.
Reply 2665
These are all such good ideas guys! :smile: I'm trying to read the bible more, pray/give thanks more and try to help others more throughout lent and hopefully for ever after :biggrin: I also fancy the fasting idea but I've got exams coming up and I can't risk not eating properly for them :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2666
I know these are good things to do but I wanna kind of help people out with the root of their problems and help them get out of the situation they are in. I feel like these institutions already exist, though. I think as long as these institutions get better, then people are a lot more likely to succeed. Sounds obvious I know lol but yeah.

Haha aww that's so sweet! You can pray for them too and pray that their situation improves :smile: but trust me any contribution to an organisation is invaluable

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tillsy
These are all such good ideas guys! :smile: I'm trying to read the bible more, pray/give thanks more and try to help others more throughout lent and hopefully for ever after :biggrin: I also fancy the fasting idea but I've got exams coming up and I can't risk not eating properly for them :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't forget the Easter eggs! lol :P Athiests can say all they want about Jesus but we wouldn't have Easter eggs if it wasn't for him.
Reply 2668
Don't forget the Easter eggs! lol :P Athiests can say all they want about Jesus but we wouldn't have Easter eggs if it wasn't for him.

I know... They wouldn't have lots of things if it wasn't for Christianity!! E.g. Christmas, Easter eggs, pancake day... They should be more thankful hahaha lol!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tillsy
Haha aww that's so sweet! You can pray for them too and pray that their situation improves :smile: but trust me any contribution to an organisation is invaluable

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. I think improvements in education and things like this will make the world a better place even here in England. There is definitely a way to go, I think. I think we are just becoming a more and more developed country, which is great. :smile:
Original post by Tillsy
I know... They wouldn't have lots of things if it wasn't for Christianity!! E.g. Christmas, Easter eggs, pancake day... They should be more thankful hahaha lol!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. Christmas is definitely great. I like the feeling on Christmas day when you know everyone's with their family etc.
Reply 2671
Yeah. I think improvements in education and things like this will make the world a better place even here in England. There is definitely a way to go, I think. I think we are just becoming a more and more developed country, which is great. :smile:

Definitely!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2672
Yeah. Christmas is definitely great. I like the feeling on Christmas day when you know everyone's with their family etc.

Unfortunately some people aren't with their family/don't have any family and I feel so sorry for them, but the church family is there and welcomes all :smile: I love the run up to Christmas too!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tillsy
Unfortunately some people aren't with their family/don't have any family and I feel so sorry for them, but the church family is there and welcomes all :smile: I love the run up to Christmas too!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah Jesus likes to make his birthday a worldwide event lol.
I have suggested that Cath Soc prays the rosary for the Crimean region, and would like to suggest that you all keep that place in your prayers too. Seems like some serious **** is going down in the area atm :s-smilie:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I have suggested that Cath Soc prays the rosary for the Crimean region, and would like to suggest that you all keep that place in your prayers too. Seems like some serious **** is going down in the area atm :s-smilie:

Good plan!
Reply 2676
Feeling so under confident at the moment with my A Levels, really need to get AAA for my uni offer but I'm so scared that I won't :frown: just trying to keep the faith, I know God has a plan for me and for us all (if anyone else is feeling the same way!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tillsy
Feeling so under confident at the moment with my A Levels, really need to get AAA for my uni offer but I'm so scared that I won't :frown: just trying to keep the faith, I know God has a plan for me and for us all (if anyone else is feeling the same way!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Praying for you and all other students working towards A Level exams this summer :hugs:
Reply 2678
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Praying for you and all other students working towards A Level exams this summer :hugs:

Thanks so much! I've been praying too. I know that if I don't get into uni then God has another plan for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tillsy
Thanks so much! I've been praying too. I know that if I don't get into uni then God has another plan for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the spirit! :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending