The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Original post by Krish4791
Of course Wimbledon :smile: Murray at 100% would probably be a very big threat there, but otherwise it is on the radar if he can maintain this level of play and confidence

Andy looks rather bleak atm. I don't see him defending Wimbledon tbh.
Reply 401
Sky Sports didn't even show the trophy presentation. WTF is that all about?
I guess this will be a nice novelty: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/26408231

Especially getting to see some of the retired players.
I'm back for longer hopefully this time, have been watching most of the tennis .Missed by tennis society ppl:smile: I guess some here were pretty happy when Federer beat Djokovic(As was I). Although it seemed Djokovic just mentally broke and went away towards the end. So much for the mental support Becker was going to provide at the key moments. But Federer turned on the-now rusty and very stiff-genius switch and bar Nadal no one can challenge him when that happens.

I don't know how long it will take for Murray to get his peak form back, but he needs to do it pretty quickly and get his ranking back up to top 4 before Wimbledon(helped a lot by his horrible clay season last year, wrapped up by him not even entering the FO). He is hitting his shots with more ease and bending down more for the low slices I feel, and his movement during the middle part of matches is better. Yet his continuing bad starts, weaker first serve it seems to me, and most importantly his match instincts are very rusty. The ability to scrape tight matches and most importantly win the important points;against the top players(Dimitrov last week, wtf?) is an ability he NEEDS to rediscover. Like if he can slowly through the clay season, he is the favorite for Wimbledon for me.

Indian Wells draw looks delicious. Gulbis vs Dimitrov, potential Murray vs Nadal

Also has anyone noticed that Dolgopolov is having a mini resurgence, which is always exciting,.. Where the hell is Tomic?

Also Simon Halep, what a player watched her for the first time 2 weeks ago and she is amazing. Also Robson out with the wrist AGAIN, Stephens going through a rough patch( maybe she realized she is NOT MILEY CYRUS). Li Na just being awesome. Really think it's possible that Serena will not win a slam this year.

Also did anyone see the Djokovic-Murray exhibition, that was fun although the HORRENDOUS Selfies were just.. I mean they clearly both looked at the image before sending it off. Murray looks like he is photo bombing his own selfie, which is quite a feat.

What does everyone think of this tennis league that is going on? I mean personally I fell it's really gimmicky and there is not enough space in the caander for it. Also giving the icon players the option to only come to home games means we possibly won't get the big icon players fighting out against each other. Kind of awkward in the first round of the auctioning thing Stan the Man the only icon player not to find a team.
Reply 404
Good Indian Wells draw for Federer. He can at least make the SFs which will be an improvement on last years performance and he could be back in the top 4 after Miami. Nadal and Murray are scheduled to meet in the QFs, but looking at their respective draws and Murray's current shaky form, this jinxed match up probably won't happen. Nole has a cake of a draw tbh.
Reply 405
Original post by Roger1
Good Indian Wells draw for Federer. He can at least make the SFs which will be an improvement on last years performance and he could be back in the top 4 after Miami. Nadal and Murray are scheduled to meet in the QFs, but looking at their respective draws and Murray's current shaky form, this jinxed match up probably won't happen. Nole has a cake of a draw tbh.

Is Del Potro back?
Reply 406
Original post by Rakas21
Is Del Potro back?

He is in Nole's half of the draw. I thought that he would take time off because of his injury.
Reply 407
Original post by Roger1

Loads of people said Nole had a cake draw for the Australian Open and look how that turned out. Nole needs to win IW to inject some hope into what has been a bad season so far by his standards
Reply 408
Original post by lizzy95
Loads of people said Nole had a cake draw for the Australian Open and look how that turned out. Nole needs to win IW to inject some hope into what has been a bad season so far by his standards

He needs a break to mentally recharge himself. So far, the Becker move hasn't paid off.
Reply 409
Indian Wells draw has thrown up the possibility of some interesting early and late-round clashes.
Djokovic will be happy he's managed to avoid the two guys who've beaten him this year - if he applies himself properly I think he should get through to the final.
Rafa has quite a few obstacles in his path, and a potential all-Swiss quarter final would be nice

All in all, should be a good week coming up!
Reply 410
Original post by Roger1
He needs a break to mentally recharge himself. So far, the Becker move hasn't paid off.

Yeah, maybe Becker needs I don't know but it looks like Nole is regressing if anything
Reply 411
Original post by Roger1
He is in Nole's half of the draw. I thought that he would take time off because of his injury.

Hard to say really. He said it started at the US Open but still had a great end to the season and won before Australia.

Perhaps he and Murray will play themselves into form.
Reply 412
The few weeks should be very interesting in shaping the rest of season, with big ranking changes likely due to IW and Miami. It'd be great if Murray is able to show his best form in these tournaments' a quarter final v Rafa would be tasty

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 413
Indian Wells already underway!

Federer through in straight sets against Mathieu despite a wobble in set 2
Murray back from a set and a break down to beat Rosol
Nadal escapes in tight 3-setter against Stepanek - hope his back is ok
Wawrinka powers through against Karlovic
and so on...

Del Potro has withdrawn, however - I have a feeling he'll be plagued by injuries for most of this season
Quite surprised to see Berdych go out this early, was playing very well recently. Also notice that James Ward is a set up on Lopez so be interesting to see how that one materialises.
Reply 415
Original post by Krish4791
Indian Wells already underway!

Federer through in straight sets against Mathieu despite a wobble in set 2
Murray back from a set and a break down to beat Rosol
Nadal escapes in tight 3-setter against Stepanek - hope his back is ok
Wawrinka powers through against Karlovic
and so on...

Del Potro has withdrawn, however - I have a feeling he'll be plagued by injuries for most of this season

Oh, that's bad. I've enjoyed him since 2012 especially so much.

Not sure he'll be out all season though. It came about at the US Open but he still did fairly well until Australia.

If he's going to take an extended period out then it may be worth him testing it out at the Davis Cup in April and then playing a less strenuous clay court season like Monte-Carlo, one of the 250's, Rome and then the FO where he gets free points and would be match fit. From then on he's on his preferred ground of grass and hard.
Reply 416
Wow both Nadal and Sharapova out of Indian Wells! I really wanted the Andy Rafa match to happen too! :frown:
Reply 417
Interesting.

Raonic-Murray should be good though but the draw for Djokovic and Federer is looking much better it has to be said.
Reply 418
Very interesting indeed. Neither Nadal nor Djokovic are playing particularly well thus far - definitely a chance for someone new to really break the stranglehold of the top guys. Alternatively, Federer and Wawrinka are looking pretty good (especially Stan) - would not be surprised if one of them were to win the title.
Reply 419
Original post by lizzy95
Wow both Nadal and Sharapova out of Indian Wells! I really wanted the Andy Rafa match to happen too! :frown:

That would have been an epic battle!

Quick Reply

Latest