The Student Room Group

UCL Medicine Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Is today the last day that interviews will be given out?
Original post by edex123
Can anyone tell me my current interview chances?
10 A*s
4A's
A*A*A*A* predicted
5.7, 5.2 and 2A BMAT

no chance, it is too late.
Reply 1182
Original post by WinstonO'Brien
no chance, it is too late.

How are you so sure?
Original post by vgautam
How are you so sure?

Because interviews are only being held for around 5 more days.
Reply 1184
Original post by WinstonO'Brien
Because interviews are only being held for around 5 more days.

You should inform us IN ADVANCE if you will be UNAVAILABLE for interview at any time during our interview season: 11 December, then any Tuesdays/Wednesdays from 14 January to 19 March. You do not need to tell us of your availability on dates that fall outside this range.
an email from UCL, they are interviewing till at least the 19th of March, and they tend to give 2 weeks notice, so there is still a possibility for an interview.
Original post by vgautam
You should inform us IN ADVANCE if you will be UNAVAILABLE for interview at any time during our interview season: 11 December, then any Tuesdays/Wednesdays from 14 January to 19 March. You do not need to tell us of your availability on dates that fall outside this range.
an email from UCL, they are interviewing till at least the 19th of March, and they tend to give 2 weeks notice, so there is still a possibility for an interview.

There are only 4 more days of interviews. I reckon tomorrow/Friday may be the last days to get an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1186
Original post by timeywimey
There are only 4 more days of interviews. I reckon tomorrow/Friday may be the last days to get an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly on Friday you can say with certainty that there is 'no chance' so to say so now is premature and worries anxious applicants.

meant to quote winston, soz :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1187
Going slightly off topic. I've just been reading about the daily life of a Cambridge Med student and was really surprised or even shocked by the amount of work they seem to be putting in. Is life at UCL going to be as tough???

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=557010&page=8&x=0&y=0

Example 1

A week in the life of a medic

Ok so I didn't get all my work done so hear goes:
Links for the timetables of a medic: http://www.bio.cam.ac.uk/sbs/facbiol...1astandard.htm
If you want to use this timetable just click on any dates for any week, and stick to any set that you want. Don't change sets and you can get a general overview of what a medics week is like. Heres my average week:

Monday: Wake up at 9ish. Generally am still feeling exhausted and a few other things from being at Fez and formal the night before. Dissection at 10am until 12. Have a biochemistry/MiMs lecture from 12-1. Normally go back to have lunch in college and then either do work in the library or else have a physiology practical from 2-4pm. Do more work and have lunch at hall at 6pm. Run to my biochemistry supervision from 7-8 and then go back to my room to finish my physiology work for my supervision the next day.

Tuesday: Biochemistry lecture at 9am so am up around 8ish. Lecture is over at 10 and then I go to have a supervision on epidemiology and statistics (pretty boring but have to do it. I used to not have this in Michelmas term so I instead went back and watched House ) After the supervisions I have a physiology lecture at 12 until one. I generally then run to the pitches to play a game of rugby for the college. Game finishes after 4 so I then run/limp back to my room to have a quick shower before my physiology supervision at 5. After supervision I go to hall for dinner at 6. Back in my room for 7 and then do some anatomy. Sometimes I have swaps on Tuesdays so I don't go to hall but go straight back to my room to do work and then meet people on the swap in the bar at 7 then have formal hall at 8pm. Standard Cindies or the bar at 10pm and arrive back in college around 2ish

Wednesday: 9am lecture again. This time its anatomy. Again I normally have a break from 10-12 so I go back to college and often have a nap or do work. Sometimes have Sociology lectures at 12, but most people don't go to those cos you can just blag your way through the exam. Lunch in hall then either histology or applied anatomy from 2-4pm. Come back to college and get stuck into my anatomy preparation for my supervision. Hall at 6pm for dinner and then do more work after. Usually head to the bar around 9ish and then maybe Cindies again if enough people are going. Again arrive back to college after 2

Thursday: 9am lecture on MiMs. I then have a 2 hour gap between 10-12 in which I catch up on sleep or do work for anatomy. Physiology lecture at 12-1pm and then I have lunch. Thursday evenings are sometimes free but the rest of the time I have a biochemistry practical, or a GP visit or biochemistry PBL class. All of these are once a term. I then have dinner in hall and learn my anatomy until my anatomy supervision at 8.30pm-9.30pm. I then leave my books back and go to the bar to relax as my supervisions are done for the week.

Friday: Anatomy lecture at 9am. I then always have a 2hour gap from 10-12 which is spent sleeping or watching TV. Physiology lecture at 12-1pm and then lunch in hall. Last thing of the week is dissection from 2-4pm and then I go back to my room and collapse on the bed. I then go to hall at 6pm or cook myself something. I then usually get started into work for next week. Usually this is 1-3 essays plus the preperation work for each essay. I usually sit up to 12ish doing this or else stop at 9/10pm and go and meet people and see what they are doing.

Saturday: I always lie on at the weekends. So I get up at 12 and then go to hall at 12.15. I then come back and grab my rugby gear and run out to training from 2-4pm. I then come back and do more work until hall at 6pm. After hall I will do more work until around 10ish and then I will go round to my friends room to mess about/have a few drinks until 1-2ish

Sunday: Again have a lie in to 12. Same routine really with hall and rugby training. Then come back and do work and either go to hall or continue on working until I am going to formal. After formal I either go to the comedy show or else have pre-drinks then head out to Fez. I then get home at about 2-3ish.

http://www.thejcr.co.uk/node/146

Example 2

What does your working week/day entail?
A typical Monday to Friday week contains around 10 hours of lectures, 10 hours of practical classes and 2 supervisions (and perhaps the odd Saturday supervision). Essays are set in these supervisions and our supervisors also help our understanding of the course material. Subjects this year are human reproduction, neuroscience, pathology and pharmacology (anatomy, biochemistry and physiology are covered in the first year).
The day I’ve outlined is what I fondly refer to as “Frantic Friday”, our busiest day of the week (compared to our least busy day, which only consists of one lecture and one practical)!

8:00-9:00: get up, have breakfast, skim over notes, walk to lecture theatre (which is a wonderful 5 minutes away, owing to Christ’s handy geographical location in the centre of Cambridge).
9:00-13:00: four lectures, three consecutive ones in the same lecture theatre (buy coffee from café in the foyer).
13:00-14:00: walk back to College, have lunch at Christ’s with the medics, walk to pharmacology department.
14:00-17:00: practical class.
17:00-18:00: supervision or read through the day’s lecture notes and possibly let the college cat into room for a nap.
18:00-18:30: dinner at Christ’s, catching up with friends.
18:30-19:15: practise violin.
19:15-21:30: make notes on lecture material and do reading/plans for essays.
21:30-22:00: gym.
22:00-22:30: more lecture note reading.
22:30-23:00: read some non-medical literature and then bed.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by vgautam
Exactly on Friday you can say with certainty that there is 'no chance' so to say so now is premature and worries anxious applicants.

meant to quote winston, soz :smile:

You're right, we just don't know :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1189
Reading my bmat essay again today was so cringeworthy lol..got torn apart by one interviewer hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shmuxel
Which BMAT question did you do... any reasons why it took so long? My BMAT essay was quite convoluted so I have a feeling it will be prone for discussion (The "Ignorance begets confidence..." one)

My BMAT essay was on the doctors and league tables. In my essay, I had mentioned something which they dwelled on, leading me to talk further on that topic. And that led to more challenging questions. It was all in the flow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1191
I have not get any reply from UCL Med admissions yet. I'm getting really nervous about that, I'd like to know if I'm rejected for sure. Do they send a rejection e-mail to everyone? Or is it just like if you don't get an invitation it's all over?
Reply 1192
Original post by Semanresu
xx

Hey man glad to hear it went well! I was there in afternoon sesh too, guy in great suit and red tie? I had my interview, came back and chilled with the others for a bit, then went for a Nandos..haha?
But yeah all the other people there were pretty sound, definitely my most social interview!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had my interview today - so relieved:colondollar:! I thought it went decently but anyway I did my best! Best part of the day was spending time with fellow applicants - great fun. Anyone else who had their interview today (5th March) as I may have seen you. I'm Kush, I was the short indian guy with glasses and a grey suit jacket and black trousers. I met some candidates called Jonny, Yupaca (sorry for the spelling), Annie, Sergio and Byrony so if I met you please reply! Good luck to everyone, feel free to message me if anyone needs any advice on the interview as I'd be happy to help:biggrin:!
Original post by Razer_M
Hey man glad to hear it went well! I was there in afternoon sesh too, guy in great suit and red tie? I had my interview, came back and chilled with the others for a bit, then went for a Nandos..haha?
But yeah all the other people there were pretty sound, definitely my most social interview!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi mate! In the lecture theatre, where were you sitting? Were you near the front as I may remember you! It's good to chat to everyone else and it helped ease our nerves - a bit! Nandos sounds like a good way to unwind lol! Fingers crossed now - hope we all get in!
Reply 1195
Anyone have any advice on how to prepare for the interview?
I think anybody without interviews should be very unlikely to get one now (including me). Its now 2 weeks before the last day of interviews. Better prepare for the worst!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1197
I was there today too, the conversations were so hilarious. Definitely my favourite ever interview waiting room! 😁
Reply 1198
Original post by Semanresu
Had my interview today - so relieved:colondollar:! I thought it went decently but anyway I did my best! Best part of the day was spending time with fellow applicants - great fun. Anyone else who had their interview today (5th March) as I may have seen you. I'm Kush, I was the short indian guy with glasses and a grey suit jacket and black trousers. I met some candidates called Jonny, Yupaca (sorry for the spelling), Annie, Sergio and Byrony so if I met you please reply! Good luck to everyone, feel free to message me if anyone needs any advice on the interview as I'd be happy to help:biggrin:!

I was there too! It was so fun in the waiting room. Definitely my favourite interview waiting room experience! 😁
Reply 1199
Original post by Razer_M
Reading my bmat essay again today was so cringeworthy lol..got torn apart by one interviewer hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

which essay question did you do? did they ask anything from ur personal staatement?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending