The Student Room Group

Which should I put as my insurance? Glasgow or Edinburgh?!

Hi,

I have offers to study Geology from St Andrews (AAB), Glasgow (AAB), Edinburgh (ABB - A in Maths), Durham (AAB) and Meteorology at Reading (AAB - BBB)

Here's some information about what I think of the universities...

My first choice is St Andrews...

Glasgow: They said at the open day that they often take people with ABB come results day + last year it was in clearing for a couple of weeks after...
I think the university is great, but I don't know what I'd think of living in Glasgow for 4 years...

Edinburgh: I prefer this uni over Glasgow. Even though the offer is ABB (the A is in Maths). I am pretty confident that I'll get an A in Geography, so if I got in the A in Maths to get into Edinburgh I'd have AAB overall... so enough for St Andrews... On the open day they said that if I got ABB, but with the A in another subject I should phone and they might be able to find space on another course, however that's a risk...

So which do I put as insurance? I could put Edinburgh as Insurance, try and get a place there if I miss out on AAB, then if I don't get a place there phone Glasgow clearing... what do I do?

I don't really care about Durham and Reading...

Thanks in advance!
Sorry, I've got a bit lost here with all the grades! Can you give us a clearer idea of your question?
Reply 2
Glasgow, the city isn't that bad.
Reply 3
Original post by returnmigrant
Sorry, I've got a bit lost here with all the grades! Can you give us a clearer idea of your question?

hahaha yeah... it is confusing! :colondollar:

So, my AS grades are as follow:
A (maths), A (Geography), B (physics), B (chemistry

A level Predictions
AAA (maths, physics and geography) I am quite likely to get an A in Geography overall, on the boundary for Maths and Physics

offers from unis
St Andrews AAB
Glasgow AAB - but likely to take ABB
Edinburgh ABB - A in Maths

Hope that's a bit easier!
Reply 4
Original post by rxmtf
Glasgow, the city isn't that bad.

I suppose... but I prefer Edinburgh :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Scout17
I suppose... but I prefer Edinburgh :smile:

But it is not really an insurance if they won't take you on to the course you want to do without an A in maths which you don't think you will definitely get.

Will St Andrews drop to ABB?
Reply 6
Original post by rxmtf
But it is not really an insurance if they won't take you on to the course you want to do without an A in maths which you don't think you will definitely get.

Will St Andrews drop to ABB?

But what Edinburgh did say was that if I got the A in another subject then I could phone them and try and get onto another course in the department... don't know how likely that will be though! :smile:

And St Andrews said they don't take below minimum entry unfortunately...

Thanks for taking the time to reply :smile:

It's a tricky one!
Original post by Scout17
Hi,

I have offers to study Geology from St Andrews (AAB), Glasgow (AAB), Edinburgh (ABB - A in Maths), Durham (AAB) and Meteorology at Reading (AAB - BBB)

Here's some information about what I think of the universities...

My first choice is St Andrews...

Glasgow: They said at the open day that they often take people with ABB come results day + last year it was in clearing for a couple of weeks after...
I think the university is great, but I don't know what I'd think of living in Glasgow for 4 years...

Edinburgh: I prefer this uni over Glasgow. Even though the offer is ABB (the A is in Maths). I am pretty confident that I'll get an A in Geography, so if I got in the A in Maths to get into Edinburgh I'd have AAB overall... so enough for St Andrews... On the open day they said that if I got ABB, but with the A in another subject I should phone and they might be able to find space on another course, however that's a risk...

So which do I put as insurance? I could put Edinburgh as Insurance, try and get a place there if I miss out on AAB, then if I don't get a place there phone Glasgow clearing... what do I do?

I don't really care about Durham and Reading...

Thanks in advance!

What's wrong with Durham and Reading? Personally I don't think you should risk it just because Edinburgh told you there might be room. Why apply to the others if you don't like them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Coffeetime
What's wrong with Durham and Reading? Personally I don't think you should risk it just because Edinburgh told you there might be room. Why apply to the others if you don't like them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

Yeah I think I agree with you about Edinburgh - it is a risk... But is it worth taking as Glasgow will probably be in clearing? So if Edinburgh have no places I could apply to Glasgow through clearing... Maybe...

And actually, 'don't care' is a bit strong... Im very grateful for the offers, as they're both great unis however, after doing some thinking I prefer the Scottish university system as I'm still not entirely sure what degree I want to graduate with! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scout17
Hi,

Yeah I think I agree with you about Edinburgh - it is a risk... But is it worth taking as Glasgow will probably be in clearing? So if Edinburgh have no places I could apply to Glasgow through clearing... Maybe...

And actually, 'don't care' is a bit strong... Im very grateful for the offers, as they're both great unis however, after doing some thinking I prefer the Scottish university system as I'm still not entirely sure what degree I want to graduate with! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah. I see. Yeah, I'm kind of in love with the Scottish unis right now, though I have not been to Scotland. You don't know though if Glasgow will be in clearing for your course though. Do you want to risk it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Ah. I see. Yeah, I'm kind of in love with the Scottish unis right now, though I have not been to Scotland. You don't know though if Glasgow will be in clearing for your course though. Do you want to risk it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are you applying for? Where you looking?

Well last year it was in clearing for a couple of weeks but who knows for this year so maybe best not to take the risk!
I starting to like Glasgow as a city more too... Maybe I will put it as my insurance... They did specifically say they take people who have just missed out on AAB :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scout17
What are you applying for? Where you looking?

Well last year it was in clearing for a couple of weeks but who knows for this year so maybe best not to take the risk!
I starting to like Glasgow as a city more too... Maybe I will put it as my insurance... They did specifically say they take people who have just missed out on AAB :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm applying to Edinburgh, Bristol, Exeter, Cardiff and Reading for Italian. I really like the look of Glasgow though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I'm applying to Edinburgh, Bristol, Exeter, Cardiff and Reading for Italian. I really like the look of Glasgow though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And so which do you think you'll put as firm and insurance? :smile:
Original post by Scout17
And so which do you think you'll put as firm and insurance? :smile:

If I were to get into all five, I would probably put either Edinburgh or Exeter as firm and Cardiff as insurance.
Glasgow has quite a bad reputation as a city, but the west end in particular is actually lovely! (Not at all biased heheheh)
Original post by seyrose
Glasgow has quite a bad reputation as a city, but the west end in particular is actually lovely! (Not at all biased heheheh)

I was reading on on the city of Glasgow vs Edinburgh and I kept hearing Glasgow is a bit rough and more of a party city. Still looks beautiful though.
Reply 16
I was reading on on the city of Glasgow vs Edinburgh and I kept hearing Glasgow is a bit rough and more of a party city. Still looks beautiful though.

Yeah I'm not really one for parties/clubs! Talking about crime, Glasgow is known for being slightly rougher than other places however according to the results on a Crime statistics website the university area is safer than the Edinburgh university area!

http://www.crime-statistics.co.uk/compare/universities/University%20of%20Glasgow_The%20University%20of%20Edinburgh

Scout17
:smile:
Reply 17
Original post by seyrose

Yeah.... Glasgow has all the extremes I think!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scout17
Yeah I'm not really one for parties/clubs! Talking about crime, Glasgow is known for being slightly rougher than other places however according to the results on a Crime statistics website the university area is safer than the Edinburgh university area!

http://www.crime-statistics.co.uk/compare/universities/University%20of%20Glasgow_The%20University%20of%20Edinburgh

Scout17
:smile:

Yeah, but I've read that Edinburgh is a pretty "small" city. Obviously not in populations, but more in the sense that you'll see people you know and it's not too hard to get around on foot.
Reply 19
Yeah, but I've read that Edinburgh is a pretty "small" city. Obviously not in populations, but more in the sense that you'll see people you know and it's not too hard to get around on foot.

I like that you see... If I didn't I wouldn't have put St Andrews as my first choice! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending