The Student Room Group

What is the first year of Medical school like ? Studying Medicine

Do you have time to go out ? Do you have tests ? What is Gross Anatomy like ? I want to become a Doctor :colondollar:
Reply 1
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2464208

Here's an idea, at least for Birmingham! It does vary between medical schools though :smile:
You'll have plenty of time to go out in first year as a medic; and all medical schools have exams. Gross anatomy differs school-to-school. For us, we have pre-dissected specimens to look at, which is pretty cool!
Reply 3
Original post by FoolishWiseNinja
Do you have time to go out ? Do you have tests ? What is Gross Anatomy like ? I want to become a Doctor :colondollar:

Yes to the first question. Yes to the 2nd one, 4 multiple choice exams and 2 short written answer exams with 2 objective structured clinical exams that aren't graded until you hit clinical years.

Gross anatomy is just a lot of pictures with labels along with a 1-2 hours DR session a few days later.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4

o Of course you have time to go out.
o Of course you have tests.
o Gross anatomy is tedious memorisation.
o Good luck.

Original post by ukmed108
Yes to the first question. Yes to the 2nd one, 4 MCQ exams and 2 SWA exams with 2 OSCEs that aren't graded yet.

Gross anatomy is just a lot of pictures with labels along with a 1-2 hours DR session a few days later.

To someone asking such basic questions as the O.P., this statement should be easily understood...
Reply 5
Lots of time to go out, lots of knowledge to learn, lots of anatomy and anatomy sessions, lots of everything!
Reply 6

Oh yes, yes, and deathly boring.

Most of my first year was spent experimenting with hangover cures and finding bits of my own anatomy that couldn't be damaged by a hard night drinking. My second year was much the same.
Reply 7

Yeah, right now in 1st year I manage to go out 1-2 times a week on average, some people go out way more than that though.

Of course there are tests - in medicine, you will be doing exams right up till you become a consultant!

Anatomy varies by medical school - in some you do dissection yourself, and in others you just look at and feel around already dissected stuff.

Original post by 345rty

Most of my first year was spent experimenting with hangover cures

I've heard COX inhibitors work, but dunno
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Asklepios

I've heard COX inhibitors work, but dunno

I think you need to investigate this further in the name of the greater good for mankind! To the bar!
Original post by 345rty
Oh yes, yes, and deathly boring.

Most of my first year was spent experimenting with hangover cures and finding bits of my own anatomy that couldn't be damaged by a hard night drinking. My second year was much the same.

Ah, going out. I remember going out.

A pint of water before going to sleep and then strawberry milkshake and a banana in the morning. Guaranteed to work, it's practically science.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by 345rty
I think you need to investigate this further in the name of the greater good for mankind! To the bar!

Mate. We need a Systematic review of randomised double-blinded placebo-controlled trials.
Reply 11
Original post by Asklepios
Mate. We need a Systematic review of randomised double-blinded placebo-controlled trials.

Whats the point in that, you would need to be vaugely sober to do one.
Reply 12
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Ah, going out. I remember going out.

A pint of water before going to sleep and then strawberry milkshake and a banana in the morning. Guaranteed to work, it's practically science.

It's all about the hangover bottle.

Bottle of water with sports cap left next to the bed prior to going out, so that when you get back and fall into bed you have it easily accessible but can also drink without pouring it all over your face as would happen if you just used a glass.

Or just being an old fart and not really going out drinking any more. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending