The Student Room Group

Is there life on other planets?

So, through Nasa as i heard have found that there is life on other planets. So are there any evidences if it does exist? So are there human being like us on other planets?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by kers123
So, through Nasa as i heard have found that there is life on other planets. So are there any evidences if it does exist? So are there human being like us on other planets?

Proof? And if so then you can ask them.
Reply 3
Original post by Tom78
Proof? And if so then you can ask them.

I have posted some links as for proofs.
Reply 4

The youtube link and the telegraph link just suggest that there are planets like ours doesn't suggest definite life. I wouldn't trust the 2nd link lol.
m sure their is.earths an atom in the universe.their might even be saiyans.that'd be awesome.
Reply 6
Original post by Tom78
The youtube link and the telegraph link just suggest that there are planets like ours doesn't suggest definite life. I wouldn't trust the 2nd link lol.

Thanks for the kind information. I deleted the second link:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by economist2
m sure their is.earths an atom in the universe.their might even be saiyans.that'd be awesome.

What are saiyans? Earth is made up of atoms. Earth is not an atom.
Reply 8
there has to be some kind of life out there.there is an abundance of water in the universe.wouldn't you love to be alive to see that.
Original post by emobambam
there has to be some kind of life out there.there is an abundance of water in the universe.wouldn't you love to be alive to see that.

It's the belief that life can only exist with water, oxygen and whatever else that prevents us from finding other lifeforms out there, if we're searching for things that are similar to us and so have the same requirements for staying alive then we will never learn anything new or discover new life!

We need to be open to the potential that "life" can exist with any components and just what's available even if there is no water or anything of that nature there. It's our reductionist outlook that the search is failing in my opinion.
Original post by kers123
What are saiyans? Earth is made up of atoms. Earth is not an atom.

I think he was trying to make the point that the universe is absolutely gigantic compared to the Earth and so might contain all manner of things undiscovered.
Original post by kk_15
It's the belief that life can only exist with water, oxygen and whatever else that prevents us from finding other lifeforms out there, if we're searching for things that are similar to us and so have the same requirements for staying alive then we will never learn anything new or discover new life!

We need to be open to the potential that "life" can exist with any components and just what's available even if there is no water or anything of that nature there. It's our reductionist outlook that the search is failing in my opinion.

you're right we need to start thinking beyond what we know.what do you think alien life would look like?
(edited 10 years ago)
you're right we need to start thinking beyond what we now.what do you think alien life would look like?

I think it's already here on Earth.
Reply 13
Original post by kk_15

Provide evidence please.
Original post by kk_15

why do you think there are already here.if they were here they would have to look like us to avoid detection.they will have to live in our environment.I personally do not believe there are aliens on earth.I believe we might have had visitors.
why do you think there are already here.if they were here they would have to look like us to avoid detection.they will have to live in our environment.I personally do not believe there are aliens on earth.I believe we might have had visitors.

Believe what you want - I just feel that aliens are already here on Earth, I can't explain in what shape or form or provide evidence I was just giving my opinion to make you think.

We find out new things all the time, there's supposed to be tons of undiscovered species of plants and animals left in our world so aren't they aliens in some way until we find out more about them?

Something from another place than Earth could and probably did come down to us and still do and have managed to integrate themselves into human society over time.
There is no proof of life outside earth, but there is a lot of promising planets and moons that could currently or in the past have potentially harboured life.

I agree that by probability, there has to be other life in the universe somewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mathematically speaking alone it's a given there is life of other planets.

No hard evidence yet but we can't exactly take a quick hop over to another planet and come back with an alien bunny in hand or something.
Reply 18
Original post by kers123

Yes in short.

With the latest revelations than Red dwarfs (these are the most common stars in the universe) are capable of supporting habitable rocky planets and that 22% of F/G/K stars have habitable rocky planets (these are sun like stars) some scientists have estimated that their could be as many as 100 billion planets in the 'Goldilocks' zone for liquid water. Even if a small percentage of these only develop life then the universe could still be full of alien life.

On top of the above we then have moons and other planets capable of supporting very alien life. Looking at Moons to start with we have a couple which are suspected to have large bodies of liquid water, these may well have bacteria at the very least. Finally in terms of very alien life it's worth remembering that water may not be the only liquid capable of producing life, Titan has liquid Methane and all the chemicals required for RNA an DNA which means that there could be an entirely alien kind of Bacteria, planets with any liquid could be at various distances from the suns and that further increases the chances of alien life (very alien in this case).

My personal suspicion is that once we start detecting planets around Red Dwarfs we'll find life, there are 9 individual Red Dwarfs (i excluded binary and trinary systems) within the 6-12 light year range alone and a quarter of them have planets in the habitable zone.

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2014/03/every-red-dwarf-star-has-at-least-one-planet
Reply 19
Original post by Rakas21
Yes in short.

With the latest revelations than Red dwarfs (these are the most common stars in the universe) are capable of supporting habitable rocky planets and that 22% of F/G/K stars have habitable rocky planets (these are sun like stars) some scientists have estimated that their could be as many as 100 billion planets in the 'Goldilocks' zone for liquid water. Even if a small percentage of these only develop life then the universe could still be full of alien life.

On top of the above we then have moons and other planets capable of supporting very alien life. Looking at Moons to start with we have a couple which are suspected to have large bodies of liquid water, these may well have bacteria at the very least. Finally in terms of very alien life it's worth remembering that water may not be the only liquid capable of producing life, Titan has liquid Methane and all the chemicals required for RNA an DNA which means that there could be an entirely alien kind of Bacteria, planets with any liquid could be at various distances from the suns and that further increases the chances of alien life (very alien in this case).

My personal suspicion is that once we start detecting planets around Red Dwarfs we'll find life, there are 9 individual Red Dwarfs (i excluded binary and trinary systems) within the 6-12 light year range alone and a quarter of them have planets in the habitable zone.

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2014/03/every-red-dwarf-star-has-at-least-one-planet

Thanks alot. I also want to know if there is existence of people on other planets rather than aliens? People like us humans?

Quick Reply

Latest