The Student Room Group

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PocketMerlin
Haha, I am sorry, I thought that you meant this year, as someone was talking about people making new accounts and saying they had offers.
But congratulations, it must be insanely exciting having to wait an entire year to begin. By army commitments, what do you mean? :smile:

I'm guessing that he's an international applicant from Singapore! We've got a mandatory two-year conscription scheme where the guys have to serve in the army. He needs the deferment because I'm guessing he has not been released from service as of last year...

(Btw, sorry for butting in!) Congrats on the offer too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thatnydguy
I'm guessing that he's an international applicant from Singapore! We've got a mandatory two-year conscription scheme where the guys have to serve in the army. He needs the deferment because I'm guessing he has not been released from service as of last year...

(Btw, sorry for butting in!) Congrats on the offer too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, that's rather interesting. So what do women do? Do they serve as well?
Ah, that's rather interesting. So what do women do? Do they serve as well?

Nope. Only guys have to serve in the army. The girls go on to university directly after the A levels, so by the time the guys are entering the university as freshmen, the girls are already in their third year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2523
Haha, I am sorry, I thought that you meant this year, as someone was talking about people making new accounts and saying they had offers.
But congratulations, it must be insanely exciting having to wait an entire year to begin. By army commitments, what do you mean? :smile:

I'm Singaporean. 2 yr conscription
Apparently barts are going to be giving offers at the end of march!
Original post by blah_blah2345
Apparently barts are going to be giving offers at the end of march!

Where did you get that from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2526
Original post by Matthew150
Where did you get that from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was also told by my interviewer at the beginning of my interview that people interviewed during January and February are going to hear back at the end of March. He said not to worry as everyone hears on the same day.

Interview 26th Feb 3:25 Group A
Reply 2527
Original post by aliuk
I was also told by my interviewer at the beginning of my interview that people interviewed during January and February are going to hear back at the end of March. He said not to worry as everyone hears on the same day.

Interview 26th Feb 3:25 Group A

Hmmmm maybe they changed through the interview cycle but mine was on the 21st January and I got told early-mid march :/ This is such a long wait!!! :bebored:
Nope. Only guys have to serve in the army. The girls go on to university directly after the A levels, so by the time the guys are entering the university as freshmen, the girls are already in their third year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's the theory behind that? :smile:
Original post by Mee 123
Hmmmm maybe they changed through the interview cycle but mine was on the 21st January and I got told early-mid march :/ This is such a long wait!!! :bebored:

That's what I was told as well. If it is end of March, this is going to be an excruciating wait.
Original post by Tuni530
On my birthday!! Eeeek . Hope i get a good Birthday present!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine is on the 16th and I will be away without easy access to the interwebs! So I hope it is the 14th, I don't want to be on holiday worrying about whether I have a place or not.
What's the theory behind that? :smile:

Just to clarify, you're asking why the girls get to go to uni while the guys get held back in the army right?

Well, I wouldn't wanna bore you with the specifics, it's just been this way since Singapore's independence in 1965 (which was when conscription started) Even our government can't come up with a convincing reason why up till now, only the guys have to serve. Girls are allowed to volunteer too though(:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2532
Original post by wilfred87
Mine is on the 16th and I will be away without easy access to the interwebs! So I hope it is the 14th, I don't want to be on holiday worrying about whether I have a place or not.

Here's to hoping we get an offer before the 14th :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anybody use newmediamedicine.com as a medicine forum?
Reply 2534
Is there going to be an offer holders visit day for Bart's?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by boss-man
Is there going to be an offer holders visit day for Bart's?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe there will be a Post Offer open day sometime in April
Just to clarify, you're asking why the girls get to go to uni while the guys get held back in the army right?

Well, I wouldn't wanna bore you with the specifics, it's just been this way since Singapore's independence in 1965 (which was when conscription started) Even our government can't come up with a convincing reason why up till now, only the guys have to serve. Girls are allowed to volunteer too though(:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I was, and that's quite strange/old-fashioned I guess. Seems a little unfair on guys, with girls getting a bit of a "head start" in terms of career.
Do you find that you actually learn anything from the experience at all?
Reply 2537
Yes I was, and that's quite strange/old-fashioned I guess. Seems a little unfair on guys, with girls getting a bit of a "head start" in terms of career.
Do you find that you actually learn anything from the experience at all?

Yeah makes us men. Hahaha. At least it's meant to do so
Original post by Huatah
Yeah makes us men. Hahaha. At least it's meant to do so

Hahah, I can't help but feel sorry for the quiet guys who would rather get on with their education than join the army. Law is law though, I suppose. :smile:
Reply 2539
Original post by FFCrusader
I kind of want to know who I saw on Wednesday as I was there all day :ninja:

Wednesday 26th? I was there! A blonde girl from Poland, had my interview at 1:55.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending