The Student Room Group

My experience studying in Maastricht University

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mikifor
Hi, my name is Michael and I'm Polish.
I have some question: is Maastricht University really so hard? A lot of people leaving during the year? It is difficult to get there? I hope to get about 75% from my Polish school-leaving examination, do I have a chance to qualify? How is the entering interview?
Please for honest answers.

Hi Michael,

I also know there is a Polish country Team that will help any Polish students who want to move to Maastricht, you might find it useful as they are also Polish students who work on the team ( [email protected] ). Hope that helps a little bit! Also not all courses have interviews, some will have a matching questionaire (which you can do online). Also the courses have different deadlines, so it can get a bit confusing. As said earlier with 75% you will be ok, unless you apply for either a Business programme, UCM or any other programme with a specific selection procedure, then you're not guaranteed a place as they are the ones that hold interviews and really sift through each application before allocating a place.

Good luck with everything!
Reply 341
Thx!!! I just got some last questions, which programmes have this selection procedure? I'm interested in Knowledge Engineering, what do u think about this?
Original post by mikifor
Thx!!! I just got some last questions, which programmes have this selection procedure? I'm interested in Knowledge Engineering, what do u think about this?

Knowledge Engineering is essentially computer science (I would say about 60% programming and 40% maths & logic) so if you're into that then definitely go for it. They don't have a selection procedure as such but they have what is called a Matching Procedure (the questionaire) after which they will assess whether or not you are suited to the course. They will advise you whether or not to accept a place on the course, and you can either follow their advice or ignore it, up to you.
I did knowledge Engineering for a year so I know a lot of the course material (if it hasn't changed in 2 years). But I think it's a fantastic programme and definitely some great options afterwards.

I hope that helps. If you have questions concerning the grades (double check with the Polish country team) but they do ask for a maths grade. I am not sure on how the Polish high school system works but as long as you have Maths when you graduate it should be ok.
Reply 343
In which languages are u programming? Would C++ and Pascal be useful?
Original post by mikifor
In which languages are u programming? Would C++ and Pascal be useful?

Java - so C++ will give you a good background and an advantage. Obviously, Java would give even more of a head-start!
Hi guys, my name is Guilherme and I'm Portuguese... I'm going to apply for international business administration (bachelor) and I'd like to know if it's hard to get in the university, and if I really need great grades as the university's website says....and I saw in the uni's website that I suppose to do a foundation programme....do you guys know how is it? And if I really nee to do it before I started the course.....Thanks, I hope an answer
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi, I've applied to the Maastricht for september 2014, and I'll be doing European Law. I'm a British student but am in school in france France, doing the IB diploma. I've filled in a questionnaire where they asked me a series of questions about myself and some essay questions. My grades are good, but not excellent (say about 30 - 34 average w/o extended essay + tok points) and I'm getting very worried about being accepted or not. Will it be a problem or is it really true that getting in isn't a problem, and staying in university is the true issue.

Thanks
Original post by jack.hutch
Hi, I've applied to the Maastricht for september 2014, and I'll be doing European Law. I'm a British student but am in school in france France, doing the IB diploma. I've filled in a questionnaire where they asked me a series of questions about myself and some essay questions. My grades are good, but not excellent (say about 30 - 34 average w/o extended essay + tok points) and I'm getting very worried about being accepted or not. Will it be a problem or is it really true that getting in isn't a problem, and staying in university is the true issue.

Thanks

It's true that as long as you pass you will technically be allowed in :wink:
Reply 348
Hello, I applied to maastricht university in the bachelor of european public health and I was wondering how it was? And when usually maastricht gave the official acceptance?

Thank you very much for your answers!
Original post by Bill18
Hello, I applied to maastricht university in the bachelor of european public health and I was wondering how it was? And when usually maastricht gave the official acceptance?

Thank you very much for your answers!

From my experience, Maastricht University can give out offers anytime they want. I applied for European public health back in February and got conditionally accepted on the next day. It really depends on your situation and current grades. I think the reason they gave me a conditional offer so early is because I applied for two programmes there. I applied for International Track Medicine and European Public Health. In my ITM application, I included a bunch of relevant reference letters and a decentralized selection portfolio with all kinds of work experiences/short paragraphs on why do I enjoy PBL.
Original post by jack.hutch

Thanks

Hey, Jack,

I've applied to the Maastricht European Law School as well. From the facts that I know, you have to receive a message with your questionnaire results, which have not bother you because the questionnaire is made in order to evaluate whether you need a tutor in the first year or not. I think that UM highly estimates IB, so don't worry. Is your status conditionally accepted?
Reply 351
Hello, I'm french and I've applied to Maastricht University for Economics and Business Economics, I would like to know if anyone knows if there is a free traveling card or whatever to go by train or bus to the university, I know Dutch students get a card but is it available for foreign students? Moreover, if somebody is studying or have done EBE and can give his opinion.
Original post by matdel
Hello, I'm french and I've applied to Maastricht University for Economics and Business Economics, I would like to know if anyone knows if there is a free traveling card or whatever to go by train or bus to the university, I know Dutch students get a card but is it available for foreign students? Moreover, if somebody is studying or have done EBE and can give his opinion.

Hello matdel,

from what I have heard, the card is only for Dutch students. They receive one without any conditions. However, an international student could receive on if he/she works for 54h monthly. Also, if you are working, you receive around 250 euro or more as funding or something like that.

Nicole
Reply 353
Hey I'm sorry to clarify, but its only the dutch and EU students that receive the dutch funding if they work for 54 hrs a month.

International students dont get squat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 3LZ3r0
Hey I'm sorry to clarify, but its only the dutch and EU students that receive the dutch funding if they work for 54 hrs a month.

International students dont get squat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey,

thank you for correcting me, you are right! Please, excuse me for the mistake! :smile:
Reply 355
Oh hey its nothing at all. Its just a clarification. No need to apologize, I thought international students were covered too, but when i went to find out, i found only EU students are covered.

So no worries at all. Its just info for any non-EU international students who are trying to find the same answer =)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, my name's Sam Wilson from Lancashire, UK.
I found out on Monday that I have a place to study Economcis at Maastricht!
Which I'm very happy about, if anyone has any advice on finding accommodation that would help a lot.

Also has anyone else from UK had to get an LEX card? Maastricht told me I need one as in England we don't get our A Level results until August, just wondering if anyone else has any information on this.

Thanks
Reply 357
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has taken the entrance exam test required to get into a Masters of Law program if you do not have a Bachelors of law.
I would love to hear from someone who has taken this test. I have been reading the recommended material, but out of 5000 pages worth of reading I would love to narrow my focus a bit.
Thanks.
Just got an offer for European & International Law (English) wooo! (I'm from London)
Original post by i-love-coffee
Just got an offer for European & International Law (English) wooo! (I'm from London)

Hey, great news! I got an offer, too! Are you going to accept it?

Quick Reply