The Student Room Group

Can I get into a top university with mediocre GCSE grades

I am 17 and currently studying my A-levels and am predicted A*A*AA in my 4 A levels (Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Computing)
but am concerned if I can get into a top uni such as imperial with these predicted grades if my GCSEs were average...
1 A*
3 A
6 B
4 C
and in additional courses such as Additional maths and DiDa A*BB
Basically will these GCSEs have a large impact on my chances of getting an offer for one of the best uni's :/
Reply 1
Original post by adamjones30
I am 17 and currently studying my A-levels and am predicted A*A*AA in my 4 A levels (Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Computing)
but am concerned if I can get into a top uni such as imperial with these predicted grades if my GCSEs were average...
1 A*
3 A
6 B
4 C
Basically will these GCSEs have a large impact on my chances of getting an offer for one of the best uni's :/

actually they above average.

it depends what top uni, some such as oxford place a lot of importance on them, wheras some like cambridge put it on as-levels.
I don't think your GCSEs will be an issue, as you have shown a lot of progress with your excellent A Level grades. Obviously, they're not going to help, but they're not going to be so significant that a university would reject you over them. I think that having a lot of passion for whatever it is you want to study will also help, especially for the top universities. Don't forget, they may also do entrance tests and interviews, as well as look at your PS, so GCSEs only play a very small factor. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by economicsrocks
I don't think your GCSEs will be an issue, as you have shown a lot of progress with your excellent A Level grades. Obviously, they're not going to help, but they're not going to be so significant that a university would reject you over them. I think that having a lot of passion for whatever it is you want to study will also help, especially for the top universities. Don't forget, they may also do entrance tests and interviews, as well as look at your PS, so GCSEs only play a very small factor. :smile:

Thanks for that reply really helped put my mind at ease, yes i agree, was obnoxious and thought i could get straight As without revising and working for it
am considering doing things such as step to add to application and also yea hopefully if i get the grades at AS i could get an interview :smile:
Thanks for that reply really helped put my mind at ease, yes i agree, was obnoxious and thought i could get straight As without revising and working for it
am considering doing things such as step to add to application and also yea hopefully if i get the grades at AS i could get an interview :smile:

That's ok! :smile: Honestly, there is no point in worrying about it, as your time will be much better spent getting the best A level grades you can and enhancing your application with things like STEP. :smile: Good luck with your applications and I hope it all goes well for you!
I got 2 As,6Bs and 2Cs and got into a RG uni so you'll be fine :smile: english and maths are what count the most (and science if you want to study a science related degree)

Your GCSEs are good..
1 A*
3 A
6 B
4 C

Hi there,

What degree are you hoping to study at University? You have fantastic predicted grades!

Are you aware that for some professional careers such as accounting and finance, a degree isn't a must? You can study for the professional qualifications straight after your GCSE or A Level's with a Professional Apprenticeship. You will be paid a salary, getting first hand experience from day one and you won't have any tuition fees to pay!

For careers such as accounting, you would have to study for the professional qualifications after your degree anyway so a Professional Apprenticeship is almost a fast track into your career.

We are not saying that Professional Apprenticeships are for everyone, just that they are a viable alternative to university. We have students with top A Level grades such as those you are predicted who chose the apprenticeship route and are now well on their way to becoming a fully qualified accountant, putting them ahead of their graduate peers.

I think that for people to make an informed decision about their next steps after A levels, all options including alternatives to university should be considered.

Good luck with your university applications if that is the route you choose!

Thanks,
Adele

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending