The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Got an offer for Computer Science. Have to choose between Bham and Manchester now. Any advice?
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by gerdkanter
Got an offer for Computer Science. Have to choose between Bham and Manchester now. Any advice?

I believe Manchester is slightly more respected. Both good Universities though.
Reply 1122
Original post by gerdkanter

I'm making the exact same decision for Chem Eng but siding towards Birmingham coz I liked the campus feel and the intake was smaller and department/students were friendlier :smile: also the phd department looked really good which is a good thing to think about for potentially later on... So look at all aspects before deciding and try and get as many viewpoints/opinions on them both before you decide! I'm still not 100% set but think I'm persuading myself to go for Birmingham! Hope that helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pulkkk
Hey you all!
I applied for IR course on 13th January, but the only thing I've heard back from them is an email introducing the uni. There was also a password for my Bham VIP page. Does it mean anything? (I really have my hopes up on this one as my classmate who applied to Bham has not recieved this email) :smile: Or, since it's been a month and a half and still no reply, should I get worried?

Hey, I applied for IR on 12th or 13th January, too and only got the Bhm VIP details so far as well. Hope we don't have to be worried, did you get anything during the last few days?

I got 2 offers from other unis on the 14th and 29th January but haven't heard back from the rest yet...
Has anyone been to one of the interview days? I have one on 12th March for chemical engineering im feeling really nervous so could someone please give me a rough idea of what kind of questions they are most likely to ask, much appreciated!
Reply 1125
I declined for nottingham, anyone here do the reverse?
Reply 1126
Original post by githz
I'm making the exact same decision for Chem Eng but siding towards Birmingham coz I liked the campus feel and the intake was smaller and department/students were friendlier :smile: also the phd department looked really good which is a good thing to think about for potentially later on... So look at all aspects before deciding and try and get as many viewpoints/opinions on them both before you decide! I'm still not 100% set but think I'm persuading myself to go for Birmingham! Hope that helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I reckon the 2 of you should go to manc instead. It is univerally respected internationally which would clearly give you greater options when you graduate.
manc is in the 30s while birmingham is in the 60s in terms of world rankings
Reply 1127
Original post by tom_ace
I reckon the 2 of you should go to manc instead. It is univerally respected internationally which would clearly give you greater options when you graduate.

I know but I don't trust certain world rankings as they rank UCL 5th best for UK despite low rankings of 20ish for uk rankings. I think both are amazing and have equally good teaching and graduate prospects so it's just a matter of where you would like to live and study for the nest few years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tom_ace

Interesting, However the guardian league table 2014 ranks Birmingham 15 in the UK and Manchester 31 therefore I won't suggest these people look at one league table to make the decision that Manchester is more respected than Birmingham. It also depends on subjects in the world rankings too so I wouldn't listen to this advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1129
Original post by whitelion
Hey, I applied for IR on 12th or 13th January, too and only got the Bhm VIP details so far as well. Hope we don't have to be worried, did you get anything during the last few days?

I got 2 offers from other unis on the 14th and 29th January but haven't heard back from the rest yet...

Still haven't heard from Birmingham :/ I've recieved 3 offers so far, but I really fancy B'ham. A month to go, so lets keep fingers crossed
Reply 1130
hi, i got 2 offers for Ms. urban planning from Birmingham and sheffield, birmingham has better ranking and sheffield has better faculty, now i don't know how to choose??
Original post by KingStannis
I believe Manchester is slightly more respected. Both good Universities though.

thanks, think i'll go with your advice, Manchester seems a bit better than Bham.
Hi guys. Im going to firm Brum (highest offer) and I cant decide between Manchester and Leicester for my insurance. Which would you guys pick and why? (out of curiosity)
Received my offer for Law LLB today :smile: I'm doing access so they want 30 grades at distinction (A). So excited!
Reply 1134
Has anyone firmed for English Lit and Drama?!
Original post by ItsJustMe17
Hi guys. Im going to firm Brum (highest offer) and I cant decide between Manchester and Leicester for my insurance. Which would you guys pick and why? (out of curiosity)

Leicester has lower grade reqs, Manchester's probably harder to get into than Birmingham. Common sense sense dictates that it should be your insurance imo.
Original post by KingStannis
Leicester has lower grade reqs, Manchester's probably harder to get into than Birmingham. Common sense sense dictates that it should be your insurance imo.

Alright thanks :smile:
Original post by hanjf
Has anyone firmed for English Lit and Drama?!

Yep I have!! :smile:
Reply 1138
I've firmed for Lit :smile:))
Reply 1139
Original post by brettgmason
Yep I have!! :smile:

Ooh I could maybe see you there then?:O did you go for an applicant day? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending