The Student Room Group

Anyone else wish they were born working class?

I've never seen a single working class guy with social anxiety or high inhibition. Their life seems to flow more naturally. They also seem to do pretty well with the ladies.

Scroll to see replies

well, im currently being brought up in a working class family,and well I can sum up the pro's and cons.

Pro : motivated when I think about the situation Im in ( educationally motivated and getting a job )

Thats about it.

Cons : When you want to go out places, you gotta thing alot about the cost

Alot of arguments with parent(s) derive because of finance e.g get a job

The pressure on your back, to go to a top uni is gigantic

When your in class, for example sociology and you read stats about the bourgeoisie and proletariat, you feel real bad but of course it motivates somebody like me more.

Going home from a hard day of work and you enter an estate - NOT COOL.

thats all from the top of my head,
Original post by Red Piller
I've never seen a single working class guy with social anxiety or high inhibition. Their life seems to flow more naturally. They also seem to do pretty well with the ladies.

My dad was working class and he was an alcoholic. My mum is working class and she suffers from depression. I'm working class and I have social anxiety and depression.

I could name a bunch of other working class people I know and the problems they face but to be honest I doubt it'd make a difference to your views.

People from all background suffer from social anxiety and have high inhibition. Same being true for things flowing naturally and the ladies.

Chances are if you're having trouble with the ladies you need to step back and ask yourself why? And don't just go blaming other people actually think about it properly and logically. And if you're suffering from any mental health conditions see to it that you figure out the best course of action suited to you with your doctor.
Being working class or any other class won't solve any of these problems, only working through them will.
I'm actually glad I'm working class, is that strange?

I feel that Working Class people have more respect for each other than their middle class or upper class counterparts.
might be fun between 0 and 16 but after that its no use
Reply 5
Original post by Red Piller

This is complete nonsense.
Being working class is **** I can confirm.
Original post by Clause
This is complete nonsense.
Being working class is **** I can confirm.

No it's not.
Reply 7
Original post by Silver Arrows
Let me tell you about your life.

Urg.
Reply 8
Do you mean working class as in poor or working class as in uneducated? There is a big difference. I know plenty of poor but very nice and intelligent people, so for them I imagine life is harder than the typical steve from the estate type.
Reply 9
Nobody wants to be working class, struggling financially leads to depression, lack of faith in humanity etc.

You wouldn't say such thing if you actually knew what REAL working class folks go through on a regular basis.
Original post by Clause
Urg.

Changing my quote? Mature.

You think it's **** because you're doing it wrong.

Original post by Dnator
Do you mean working class as in poor or working class as in uneducated? There is a big difference. I know plenty of poor but very nice and intelligent people, so for them I imagine life is harder than the typical steve from the estate type.

There does seem to be a blurred line. I wouldn't say I was poor, but I have to work for the things I want. However you get chavs that live off benefits that have never worked a day in there life be defined as 'Working class'. I work in a Supermarket, it isn't the most glamorous job, & the money isn't great, but it pays the bills & my colleagues are hilarious. I get on well with my co-workers.

Original post by saarah_
Nobody wants to be working class, struggling financially leads to depression, lack of faith in humanity etc.

You wouldn't say such thing if you actually knew what REAL working class folks go through on a regular basis.

Working class doesn not always mean struggling financially. I'm not swimming in cash, but I earn enough to get by.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by saarah_

This, I would rather have grown up middle class.
Well you're meeting one of them right now. My parents lifestyle is not my life. What choices they've made and how things have panned out are not me. I am defined by me, not by my surrounding or upbringing.

You're going an about ego it seems, not having social issues. Which everyone experiences, just some are better at dealing with them.

I suppose if you're facing to prospect of having nothing on a daily basis and countless threats of having the little you have taken away, daily. The volume tends to get turned down on non-important, ego-fearing activities such as approaching a girl or talking to new people.

But like I said, I, unfortunately experience the same as you.
Reply 13
Original post by Silver Arrows

You think it's **** because you're doing it wrong.

Wot
Original post by saarah_

I grew up in one of the most deprived areas of Manchester. For me and my friends, a primary motivation in life was to do better than our parents. It wasn't a case of 'escaping' the situation but certainly a case of wanting to find ourselves in a better position 20-30 years down the line - the same thing as our parents wanted for us too.

But I'm proud of who I am and where I've come from and I wouldn't change the fact that I'm working class for the world.
Original post by StretfordEnd
I grew up in one of the most deprived areas of Manchester. For me and my friends, a primary motivation in life was to do better than our parents. It wasn't a case of 'escaping' the situation but certainly a case of wanting to find ourselves in a better position 20-30 years down the line - the same thing as our parents wanted for us too.

But I'm proud of who I am and where I've come from and I wouldn't change the fact that I'm working class for the world.

Do you mean you wouldn't change your working class upbringing or you wouldn't change being working class at present.

personally would go with the former.
Reply 16
Original post by StretfordEnd

I wouldn't change the fact that I am working class either but I would like to change my current employment status. My dad always said to me 'I don't want to be rich, I just want enough money to be able to support myself and my family'.
And that's all I really want as well, not to have ****loads of money, just enough to get by.
Original post by Temporality
you shouldn't be shy when approaching girls! get in there!

Aren't we all though? It's such a silly thing to take seriously but hey, I wager we all do.
I wouldn't know, I'm a straight girl [most of the time ha!] and girls can't really approach guys because apparently it just ruins the whole dynamic of the attraction thing which is just ****ty conventionality :rolleyes:

But I definitely think guys make it way more nerve-wracking than it needs to be though. I'm not saying be cocky but guys just need to just conversate with girls more, being scared to talk to girls or any kind of person, will get you nowhere! Also, facial hair helps.

It is silly. It's not really a fear just a... 'I can't be bothered being knocked back right now, i'm having fun' I like it to occur naturally, unintentional convo etc. I like a girl making a move personally.

Facial hair you say? ... (throws clippers in the corner) :colone:
Yes, it does tend to happen best when it happens naturally - which is what a lot of people on this forum seem not to get. I mean you see all these threads like 'wwwwwwwwwhy am I single?' 'is it because I'm asian???' 'is it because I'm not working class??' [Ahem, not naming any names :cool:]. It's just like no, it's you're trying too hard and trying to force something that isn't there.

But at the end of the day, inhibitions do happen for a reason I guess, so it is pretty normal for most people to be slightly inhibited in some situations e.g. around peeps you're attracted to, people interviewing you etc. Don't wanna be too relaxed lol.

Ha, clippers? Are you sure it's a beard you're growing there and not a garden hedge...

Yep, too relaxed is bad.

Pardon me treacle, Clippers are what people use to shave their heads. I use them because I look like a right parsnip clean shaven. I need some hair knocking about.

But yes , I would like a garden hedge.

Quick Reply

Latest