The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

I have been invited to an open day for economics 12th march, what happens?

I received an email inviting me to an open day next wednesday for studying economics undergrad course L101.

"I am very pleased to have received your application through UCAS to read Economics L101 at UCL and I intend to recommend that an offer be sent to you through UCAS in the near future. Before such an offer can be made and communicated, however, it is a UCL requirement that you attend an Open Day in the Economics Department. This will give you an opportunity to discuss the degree programme with members of staff and meet some of our students, who will show you around UCL. The event will also enable you to ask any questions you may have that will help you decide whether UCL is the right university for you."

Is how the first paragraph went, then provided details on the open day.
What happens and does this mean I have an offer? Thanks
It means that you have been expelled
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Ir means you have to attend an open day

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes it means you have an offer so long as you attend the open day
Reply 4
Any idea as to what happens at the open day? Interview? Whats attire like?
Reply 5
Original post by ljbuilder

For psychology most people were in jeans and hoodies. We were shown around the department and met some 3rd years who we discussed what the degree entailed. No interview.
Reply 6
Original post by ljbuilder

I went to the economics one yesterday. There was a lecture for around an hour, then we were given a chance to talk to current students/academics. Then there was a tour of the university.
No interviews or tests.

Dress smart casual. Around a third of people were in suits I would say and most people were dressed fairly smartly. There were a few people in hoodies and I would say they looked a bit scruffy compared to everyone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Turn up in casual (I'd avoid the onesie though!), you really don't need to make a huge effort. No one is there looking to catch you out.

You simply turn up, listen to a lecture about why UCL is so great and it's history (spoiler alert) and then you are able to talk to current students and ask questions for a while, before being taken off in groups to be shown the various buildings.

If you turn up you're guaranteed an offer.
Tbh if you are just going there to collect your offer just sign your name in and leave, no one notices you at all.
Reply 9
Original post by TerribleTej
Tbh if you are just going there to collect your offer just sign your name in and leave, no one notices you at all.

This. Honestly the open day was lame and actually greatly put me off studying at UCL. Protect your innocence!
Original post by Libertine96
Yes it means you have an offer so long as you attend the open day

Jeeeeez.

Anyway, OP - wear what you feel comfortable in - it's how you'll perform best when introduced to academics/current students. A suit is OTT in my own opinion, and remember, they won't even know your name so you're not more likely to get a place because you wore a suit over a pair of jeans and a shirt.

Enjoy it and ask questions if you have any. Sorted.
Original post by HuskyWolf
This. Honestly the open day was lame and actually greatly put me off studying at UCL. Protect your innocence!

Same here, the open day just exaggerated the best bit of UCL's course and history, I guess LSE and Warwick can't be any worse than what I just saw in terms of open days though UCL is still an option for me because of the fact that its social life is pretty decent due to it being a considerably larger uni than LSE.
Reply 12
Original post by TerribleTej
Same here, the open day just exaggerated the best bit of UCL's course and history, I guess LSE and Warwick can't be any worse than what I just saw in terms of open days though UCL is still an option for me because of the fact that its social life is pretty decent due to it being a considerably larger uni than LSE.

Ya they really overdid the whole history bit I was so bored.. it was in some underground office-lit room too. And the tour (for me anyway) was just walking round streets as they said the names of buildings. Then we went to the main UCL building/library (the big attraction!) and they said we weren't allowed in.. poor organisation imo.
Original post by HuskyWolf
Ya they really overdid the whole history bit I was so bored.. it was in some underground office-lit room too. And the tour (for me anyway) was just walking round streets as they said the names of buildings. Then we went to the main UCL building/library (the big attraction!) and they said we weren't allowed in.. poor organisation imo.

Lol, we had to attend to prove our commitment to UCL, yet UCL just overdid and thus failed their attempt to prove that they were committed to us.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending