The Student Room Group

Switching from a course or another

Hello

I applied for university next year. Because I was (and quite frankly, still am) confused about what I should do in the future, I applied for two different courses: English, and Film Production.

My dream has always been of working in the film industry and becoming a film director. In the meantime, I have also developed a strong passion for english. I figured that I should risk it and apply for both, since I thought it would save me some time for my decission. (and since I was interested in only one film course, I felt that sparing 4 slots would be quite bad)

I recieved the following offers:

Birmingham City University: Film Production and Technology- BBB (BSc Course)
Royal Holloway: English Literature -AAB
Glasgow University: English Literature- AAB
Sussex University: English AAA
University of Sheffield: English Literature AAB

The problem is, I am still confused about what course to pick. I am particularly worried that picking one would make me regret not picking the other.

If I pick Birmingham City, would it be easier for me to enter the industry rather than picking English?

Birmingham City claims to have a high rate for employment, but is it really that good? The subforum for Birmingham City does not provide any type of information of the sort, and the place is quite dead (which is why I came here). There are also a few people complaining about it.

If I am to pick English I would probably go for Royal Holloway, which is very much prestigious; however I have heard that those who have applied for English seem to have issues with employment, and most of them go for a postgrads (because of this).

I am very much confused, and there are no joint courses involving Film Production with English. There are various Film Studied with English joints, but I am not that interested on theory, when it comes to films.

Any advices? I know this is compeltely my decission to make, but I am in a rather difficut position, and I would really like some ...help?
There are a million ways to get into the film industry without 'doing a degree in it' - and frankly a degree from Birmingham City is worth buttons, whatever the subject. Beware of 'employment' statistics - they include shelf-stacking in Tescos and low level jobs in media that that you could get straight from school.

An English degree from any of the other Universities you have listed would lead you into many, many different career directions - including film. At University there will be all sorts of 'media' activities for you to get involved in, student films, film societies, student journalism, relevant internships etc etc. Having an understanding of the fundamentals of language, literature, historical context of creative work, communication etc etc from an English degree will be a very good basis for any creative career AND will mean you are taken a great deal more seriously by employers - whatever career path you eventually take.
(edited 10 years ago)
You could try changing the course applied for to a joint honours in both Film Production and English? I think those universities do such a degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by kpofsuburbia
You could try changing the course applied for to a joint honours in both Film Production and English? I think those universities do such a degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They don't. I have asked...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending