The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 419
I think the one that PL uses is also applies the football league if you get my point.

Tbh if the Romans, sheikhs, shinawatras can pass it, celino has nothing to worry about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I imagine some people may make the distinction between Monsour and Abramovich since they're not wanted by their own countries for crimes (as far as I know) that will prevent them from being running the club.

So I'm going to see supporters with posters up with "FIT AND PROPER?" on Sky Sports News soon again.
Reply 421
Original post by NDGAARONDI
I imagine some people may make the distinction between Monsour and Abramovich since they're not wanted by their own countries for crimes (as far as I know) that will prevent them from being running the club.

It's hard to want to incriminate yourself- both after all pretty much own their respective countries. Plus, their democracratic system is inferior to the west so, it can't be trusted and all the charges against them will motivated by political corruption or some BS like that.

They're brilliant at ignoring the law of countries they don't like hence why Shinawatra and Yeung were allowed to be owners. As long as they keep buying all the properties in Belgravia, it's all gravy.
Reply 422
Original post by sr90
So QPR have announced losses of £65m, with a wage bill higher than Borussia Dortmund. It's going to be so hilarious if they don't go up this season. 'Arry on course to ruin yet another club.

Talking about this, did anyone else come across Thomas Hitzelberger's tweet in which he told his agent to ask for £5m but QPR interpreted it as agent fee and were okay with it. And then asked "how much does your player want?"

Reminiscent of the Seth Johnson Peter Ridsdale story.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by 419
Talking about this, did anyone else come across Thomas Hitzelberger's tweet in which he told his agent to ask for for £5m but QPR interpreted at as agent fee and were okay with it. And then asked "how much does your player want?"

Reminiscent of the Seth Johnson Peter Ridsdale story.

Just found that on Twitter. Look at the last release of agents fees by the Premier League and it's even more shocking, only a handful of clubs spent more than that in total :lolwut:

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/2013-14/nov/premier-league-release-agents-fees-nov-2013.html
Original post by 419
It's hard to want to incriminate yourself- both after all pretty much own their respective countries. Plus, their democracratic system is inferior to the west so, it can't be trusted and all the charges against them will motivated by political corruption or some BS like that.

They're brilliant at ignoring the law of countries they don't like hence why Shinawatra and Yeung were allowed to be owners. As long as they keep buying all the properties in Belgravia, it's all gravy.

Or Leicester's owners who run a dubious business of their own. Nobody cares as long as their team's winning.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
Or Leicester's owners who run a dubious business of their own. Nobody cares as long as their team's winning.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A dubious business? C'mon, if you know nothing about their going ons, don't try and act like you do. In Thailand they run a series of duty-free shops and own a polo side, nothing really dodgy like Yeung (money-laundering) or Shinawatra's political corruption.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
A dubious business? C'mon, if you know nothing about their going ons, don't try and act like you do. In Thailand they run a series of duty-free shops and own a polo side, nothing really dodgy like Yeung (money-laundering) or Shinawatra's political corruption.

A quick look into their business affairs shows not all to be an above board enterprise. Actually look into the ins and outs of who's running the club.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A quick look into their business affairs shows not all to be an above board enterprise. Actually look into the ins and outs of who's running the club.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh really - so what isn't above board about it? The one slightly dodgy thing I can find is this bit about a couple accusing King Power of scamming them via phony shop-lifting, despite the presence of CCTV footage showing them shop-lifting. That's not the business being slightly dodgy, that's customer's being dicks. It's a perfectly above board business, fully contracted (even if in the past they messed up one of the contracts - a simple clerical error, most businesses will have one if they've been running for a while - and having run for 25 years, King Power have been going quite a while).

I have - most Leicester fans I know did when they were set to take over. There's nothing untoward about them and thus far they've been very good owners. Sure they've made some mistakes (giving Sven a blank cheque book) but they've rectified them and learned from them.

All this "people don't care when their team is winning" stuff is utter nonsense: Leicester fans don't worry because we've got good owners who've done a lot of good work for the club (we own our own ground now and are debt free for the first time since the days of Martin George and Mark McGhee)
Oh really - so what isn't above board about it? The one slightly dodgy thing I can find is this bit about a couple accusing King Power of scamming them via phony shop-lifting, despite the presence of CCTV footage showing them shop-lifting. That's not the business being slightly dodgy, that's customer's being dicks. It's a perfectly above board business, fully contracted (even if in the past they messed up one of the contracts - a simple clerical error, most businesses will have one if they've been running for a while - and having run for 25 years, King Power have been going quite a while).

I have - most Leicester fans I know did when they were set to take over. There's nothing untoward about them and thus far they've been very good owners. Sure they've made some mistakes (giving Sven a blank cheque book) but they've rectified them and learned from them.

All this "people don't care when their team is winning" stuff is utter nonsense: Leicester fans don't worry because we've got good owners who've done a lot of good work for the club (we own our own ground now and are debt free for the first time since the days of Martin George and Mark McGhee)

Leicester haven't ever really struggled under the Thais so it's tough to see where you're coming from here. More to the point, the club does not own the ground-that is the property of the Thais' holding company; I also find your claim of being debt free somewhat baffling given the amount they have plundered in to cover losses.

Do you expect them not to want any of their money back?
Leicester haven't ever really struggled under the Thais so it's tough to see where you're coming from here. More to the point, the club does not own the ground-that is the property of the Thais' holding company; I also find your claim of being debt free somewhat baffling given the amount they have plundered in to cover losses.

Do you expect them not to want any of their money back?

Erm - did you miss the midtable seasons in the days of Sousa/Sven and Sven/Pearson? or last seasons relegation form for 3 months of the season? Granted it's not struggling compared to the middle of last decade, but it was hardly winning all the time. Still the point is that the owners have been very good thus far.

The stadium is owned by the same section the club is under, we pay no money on it - for all intents and purposes, it's ours since sale of the club would include a sale of the stadium.

The reason you find it baffling is because you've not actually paid attention to any of their dealings, despite claiming to. Back in December they wrote off all the loans they'd paid in, as well as the debt racked up over the previous 2 decades, turning the value into extra shares and buying those shares to wipe out the clubs debts - so rather than the money they've ploughed in being loans with interest to pay back as well, that money is instead now the purchasing of shares

Even if they want their money back, the only way to get it back is to sell the club, because all they can claim back from the club at the moment is dividends if we make a profit.
Erm - did you miss the midtable seasons in the days of Sousa/Sven and Sven/Pearson? or last seasons relegation form for 3 months of the season? Granted it's not struggling compared to the middle of last decade, but it was hardly winning all the time. Still the point is that the owners have been very good thus far.

The stadium is owned by the same section the club is under, we pay no money on it - for all intents and purposes, it's ours since sale of the club would include a sale of the stadium.

The reason you find it baffling is because you've not actually paid attention to any of their dealings, despite claiming to. Back in December they wrote off all the loans they'd paid in, as well as the debt racked up over the previous 2 decades, turning the value into extra shares and buying those shares to wipe out the clubs debts - so rather than the money they've ploughed in being loans with interest to pay back as well, that money is instead now the purchasing of shares

Even if they want their money back, the only way to get it back is to sell the club, because all they can claim back from the club at the moment is dividends if we make a profit.

Finishing midtable is not disastrous. Writing off tens of millions of pounds makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. However, you still seem mistaken in the belief that they aren't the ones who really own the ground-they bought it and as overall owners of the club it's up to them what they do with it.

Which means if they ever fancy getting some money back, they could sell the stadium to whoever. This is what I'm trying to get at with the present rules on ownership-they have the power to do whatever they want with the club, for better or worse, and there's nothing Leicester fans can do about it.
Finishing midtable is not disastrous. Writing off tens of millions of pounds makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. However, you still seem mistaken in the belief that they aren't the ones who really own the ground-they bought it and as overall owners of the club it's up to them what they do with it.

Which means if they ever fancy getting some money back, they could sell the stadium to whoever. This is what I'm trying to get at with the present rules on ownership-they have the power to do whatever they want with the club, for better or worse, and there's nothing Leicester fans can do about it.

And the stadium is now officially listed as a community asset meaning that any attempts to sell it can be paused to allow the community to step in.
Original post by 419
I think the one that PL uses is also applies the football league if you get my point.

Tbh if the Romans, sheikhs, shinawatras can pass it, celino has nothing to worry about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that Robert Mugabe would pass the owners and directors test, if I understand it correctly.
Original post by Libertine96
And the stadium is now officially listed as a community asset meaning that any attempts to sell it can be paused to allow the community to step in.

In what way?

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://mycommunityrights.org.uk/community-right-to-bid/

Granted it may be difficult for a community to raise the funds to buy something with value of the KP or other grounds but its some sort of safety net
Original post by Libertine96
http://mycommunityrights.org.uk/community-right-to-bid/

Granted it may be difficult for a community to raise the funds to buy something with value of the KP or other grounds but its some sort of safety net

Leicester paying for their ground would be some what of a novelty. Yes I'm aware of my own club's situation...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Leicester paying for their ground would be some what of a novelty. Yes I'm aware of my own club's situation...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh dear - given you clearly no nothing of our situation why do you continue to comment?

We owned filbert street & the current stadium was partly financed by us and part by teachers - the plan then to pay off the loan from teachers: that was then scuppered by Dennis Wise and his agent being arses and putting us into admin. We paid for part of the KP and took out a loan for the rest, hardly us not paying for our stadium

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh dear - given you clearly no nothing of our situation why do you continue to comment?

We owned filbert street & the current stadium was partly financed by us and part by teachers - the plan then to pay off the loan from teachers: that was then scuppered by Dennis Wise and his agent being arses and putting us into admin. We paid for part of the KP and took out a loan for the rest, hardly us not paying for our stadium

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know your administration shafted many businesses in Leicester and meant nobody got paid for the construction.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know your administration shafted many businesses in Leicester and meant nobody got paid for the construction.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually the construction was paid for given yknow it was built well before administration. (Finished in spring of 2002, admin happened in November that year). As for companies being shafted, that was not our fault - we had a few issues with relegation and the collapse of itv digital drastically cutting our income. We put everyone up for sale but some refused to leave (izzet rejected 6m pound moves to both villa and Middlesbrough) and then successfully negotiated payment details with all but one creditor - Eric Hall, Dennis Wise's lawyer. That summer, Wise assaulted Callum Davidson during a preseason tour and was disciplined by being sacked. He sued us for that and rejected any payment deals, forcing us into administration. Dennis Wise shafted the businesses by being an absolute ****, not us.

Before you start getting holier than thou at least learn about what you're talking about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Actually the construction was paid for given yknow it was built well before administration. (Finished in spring of 2002, admin happened in November that year). As for companies being shafted, that was not our fault - we had a few issues with relegation and the collapse of itv digital drastically cutting our income. We put everyone up for sale but some refused to leave (izzet rejected 6m pound moves to both villa and Middlesbrough) and then successfully negotiated payment details with all but one creditor - Eric Hall, Dennis Wise's lawyer. That summer, Wise assaulted Callum Davidson during a preseason tour and was disciplined by being sacked. He sued us for that and rejected any payment deals, forcing us into administration. Dennis Wise shafted the businesses by being an absolute ****, not us.

Before you start getting holier than thou at least learn about what you're talking about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We had the ITV digital crash ruin our finances too, we still didn't enter administration. The reality is your club had bills that were too large to meet through any other means than writing it off by administration and starting over-wipe the financial slate clean.

Enough of my family are from Leicester for me not to bother with fabrications. Dennis Wise was not to blame, at least show a bit more grace than that.

Quick Reply

Latest