The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Original post by orebach
Which denomination do people follow on this thread?

CofE but I prefer to think of myself as just a bible-believing, God-loving Christian as divisions aren't great IMO.

Original post by redbull55
I think as long as I am a positive member of my community I am considered a Christian. I really do not think Christianity is about being a virgin 'til you're married. I fail to see how that is a negative thing.

Christianity is believing Christ is the Son of God who died for your sins on the cross so that you could have a relationship with God. It's not about the morals or the rules.
Original post by greeneyedgirl
CofE but I prefer to think of myself as just a bible-believing, God-loving Christian as divisions aren't great IMO.

Christianity is believing Christ is the Son of God who died for your sins on the cross so that you could have a relationship with God. It's not about the morals or the rules.

I have an intimate relationship with Christ.
Original post by orebach

Anglican. Partly cos it's what i grew up in but I like saying Anglican cos I think it sounds badass. lol
I have an intimate relationship with Christ.

Do you believe He is the Son of God though?
Do you believe He is the Son of God though?

I believe he is the most likely person to have carried the word of God, so yeah.
I believe he is the most likely person to have carried the word of God, so yeah.

Carried the word of God? He defs wasn't a prophet if that's what you're getting at.
Carried the word of God? He defs wasn't a prophet if that's what you're getting at.

Well he had the word of God cos he kinda was God wasnt he?
Well he had the word of God cos he kinda was God wasnt he?

He wasn't "kinda" God. He is God. Holy Trinity and all that jazz.
Original post by orebach

Roman Catholic :jebus:
He wasn't "kinda" God. He is God. Holy Trinity and all that jazz.

jesus number 1 fan
Reply 2710
Original post by orebach

High-leaning CofE, from the Church's mystical Anglo-Orthodox stream of thought :h:
Original post by orebach

evangelical. I used to go to an african church and it turned out that the pastor was a pedo so i moved to a church and i liked it because they share the word of God.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2712
I think Jesus was a good guy and he's a bit of a role model to me and I think Christianity has brought many great things to society but one thing I've always not really understood is the whole "submission to God" thing. I always think of Jesus as a very modest man and part of a community and someone who wouldn't say you should have to "submit" to. Do you think you can be a Christian without submitting to Christ?

I think your problem with the idea of submitting to God may be helped by thinking about how Christianity understands certain things. We are to be completely obedient to God so that in our aligning of our will to His we may be taken up fully into His divine life. When we talk about obedience it is not to a big mean boss going around telling us 'do this, do that'. The model of leadership we have is Jesus - the steward, the gentle shepherd, the one who said whoever wants to lead you must be your servant. We are also told in the Bible that 'God is Love', not 'God is a nice boss and you'd better submit to Him because He said so' - God is Love itself, and grace itself, and beauty itself - that which all of creation is merely a reflection and a shadow. In calling us to obedience, God calls us to a loving unification with Love itself. He does not do this for his benefit (for how can God want for anything), but only for our sakes (since He is Love itself and therefore loving by nature). Entering into this unification with the God of love in obedience must itself be a loving act (for how can we be united with Love if not by loving?), and true love is to empty the self and give oneself completely to the other - desiring only the good of the person loved. So if we truly want to be united with the God of love, we must love Him, and in doing so be obedient to His will for in love we empty ourselves and live for Him - obedience is the only option - but we know that this is not a one way servant-boss relationship, for in Christ we see the face of God as one who in leading, kneels to serve, and who loves us completely, therefore even as we give our whole selves in love to God, we find Him giving in turn Himself in love for us, chiefly on the cross of Christ.

I hope you were able to follow that, I was kind of thinking and writing and all theology is tricky to explain - kind of like trying to describe a grand room by looking through the keyhole.
Original post by Diety
I think your problem with the idea of submitting to God may be helped by thinking about how Christianity understands certain things. We are to be completely obedient to God so that in our aligning of our will to His we may be taken up fully into His divine life. When we talk about obedience it is not to a big mean boss going around telling us 'do this, do that'. The model of leadership we have is Jesus - the steward, the gentle shepherd, the one who said whoever wants to lead you must be your servant. We are also told in the Bible that 'God is Love', not 'God is a nice boss and you'd better submit to Him because He said so' - God is Love itself, and grace itself, and beauty itself - that which all of creation is merely a reflection and a shadow. In calling us to obedience, God calls us to a loving unification with Love itself. He does not do this for his benefit (for how can God want for anything), but only for our sakes (since He is Love itself and therefore loving by nature). Entering into this unification with the God of love in obedience must itself be a loving act (for how can we be united with Love if not by loving?), and true love is to empty the self and give oneself completely to the other - desiring only the good of the person loved. So if we truly want to be united with the God of love, we must love Him, and in doing so be obedient to His will for in love we empty ourselves and live for Him - obedience is the only option - but we know that this is not a one way servant-boss relationship, for in Christ we see the face of God as one who in leading, kneels to serve, and who loves us completely, therefore even as we give our whole selves in love to God, we find Him giving in turn Himself in love for us, chiefly on the cross of Christ.

I hope you were able to follow that, I was kind of thinking and writing and all theology is tricky to explain - kind of like trying to describe a grand room by looking through the keyhole.

Nah I don't submit to anybody except hot girls. Lol. I guess we both have different interpretations of Christianity but that's fine. I think there a way more important things about religion than submitting to the Lord.
Original post by orebach

Im roman Catholic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nocoolusername
evangelical. I used to go to an african church and it turned out that the pastor was a pedo so i moved to a church and i liked it because they share the word of God.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you nigerian ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2716
Nah I don't submit to anybody except hot girls. Lol. I guess we both have different interpretations of Christianity but that's fine. I think there a way more important things about religion than submitting to the Lord.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of using 'submitting' - it works, but has unhelpful baggage. The aim of Christianity pure and simple is to come back into communion and participation in the divine life - you can reject that if you want and say I'd just like to carry on doing my own thing an God can keep his distance, but that is not Christianity, that is something else entirely.
Original post by Diety
I'm not sure I'm a fan of using 'submitting' - it works, but has unhelpful baggage. The aim of Christianity pure and simple is to come back into communion and participation in the divine life - you can reject that if you want and say I'd just like to carry on doing my own thing an God can keep his distance, but that is not Christianity, that is something else entirely.

I believe in the message of God etc but I don't really know how I feel about praying because I feel like I'd rather do something as opposed to asking God to do it.
Reply 2718
I believe in the message of God etc but I don't really know how I feel about praying because I feel like I'd rather do something as opposed to asking God to do it.

That's often how God gets things done :wink2:
Original post by Aula
That's often how God gets things done :wink2:

hahahaha :P by us doing it?

Yeah. I never really see God around that often really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending