The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2720
Original post by redbull55
I believe in the message of God etc but I don't really know how I feel about praying because I feel like I'd rather do something as opposed to asking God to do it.

Why does it have to be one or the other? Why not both? I think by prayerfully devoting ourselves to making the world a better place we are uniting ourselves with God and his will in our heart, soul, strength, and mind, as Jesus taught (Luke 10:27).
Original post by Diety
Why does it have to be one or the other? Why not both? I think by prayerfully devoting ourselves to making the world a better place we are uniting ourselves with God and his will in our heart, soul, strength, and mind, as Jesus taught (Luke 10:27).

I personally don't find praying effective.

So you will find favour and good repute In the sight of God and man. Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.…(Proverbs 3 v 5)

Acknowledging God is talking to him, praying to him, communicating with him.

God tells us not to try and work it all out but to put our trust in him. We might not see the results of our prayers now or ever but God has heard it

1 Thessalonians 5:17 says 'pray without ceasing'

Here is a little study on it :smile:

http://executableoutlines.com/gw/gw_02.htm
Original post by Grace by Yahweh
So you will find favour and good repute In the sight of God and man. Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.…(Proverbs 3 v 5)

Acknowledging God is talking to him, praying to him, communicating with him.

God tells us not to try and work it all out but to put our trust in him. We might not see the results of our prayers now or ever but God has heard it

1 Thessalonians 5:17 says 'pray without ceasing'

Here is a little study on it :smile:

http://executableoutlines.com/gw/gw_02.htm

I think I can acknowledge God without praying. Maybe it comforts others more.
Original post by ADAOBI123
Are you nigerian ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

no I am Ghanaian but the pastor was nigerian.
(edited 10 years ago)
I think I can acknowledge God without praying. Maybe it comforts others more.

Ok :smile:
Reply 2726
hahahaha :P by us doing it?

Yeah. I never really see God around that often really.

Yep :h:

Sometimes, when someone prays for God to do something, what He gives them is the courage/strength/confidence/whatever they need to go and do it themselves.
Original post by nocoolusername
no I am Ghanaian but the pastor was nigerian.

Close enough. :biggrin:

I've heard a lot of stories about pastors and their scandals. :frown: Such a shame
Reply 2728
I think as long as I am a positive member of my community I am considered a Christian. I really do not think Christianity is about being a virgin 'til you're married. I fail to see how that is a negative thing.

Hmm, I see. Well,there is a difference between literal meaning of christian (a follower of Christianity, or someone born to a christian father and mother or been baptized/christened or because you attend church services) and the actual meaning of christian "which is Christ like" (in every of your attitude- dressing, talking, appearance). You will probably know that the word christian was first used when the people of Antioch saw the of the disciples that it was just so much like that of Christ.
It is often misconstrued that doing good things, been moral etc are the things that make you a christian or go to Heaven. It all comes to knowing what/who Jesus really is and knowing the importance of of His birth and death. I believe it is about knowing who he really is and living for him in our daily lives.
St.john 3:17-20 really helps explain this especially verse 20.
Reply 2729

I've heard a lot of stories about pastors and their scandals. :frown: Such a shame

True, I think it is necessary for people to know where the lord wants them to be, as most churches today have been polluted with money men just like the people of jesus time, it is mostly about money, riches, success etc. but jesus said seek ye first the kingdom of God and every other thing shall be added unto it. Salvation, righteousness and holiness have been dropped. No wonder Jesus himself warned us about the last days in st.mattew chapter 24.
http://apostolicfaithweca.net/videos/289/the-danger-of-substitute
Here is link to some exhortation.

We all have our weaknesses and shortcomings, especially me, but when I hear how some Pastors knowingly take advantage of sincere believes I have to think that must be a particularly egregious sin in Gods eyes.
Today in Cath Soc, we pray for the Ukraine and that peace may prevail in that region. We pray also for Poncho Kid's sister, and for all who face difficulties with their housing/accommodation :sadnod:

We invite you to pray with us in anyway you choose to join in :h:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Today in Cath Soc, we pray for the Ukraine and that peace may prevail in that region. We pray also for Poncho Kid's sister, and for all who face difficulties with their housing/accommodation :sadnod:

Thanks for this sweetie :yy:

Thanks hun, really do appreciate it.
:jumphug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Thanks for this sweetie :yy:

Original post by PonchoKid
Thanks hun, really do appreciate it.
:jumphug:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries! :grouphugs:
Reply 2735

By 'effective' do you mean God does do what you want him to do? I don't usually pray for concrete things so I can't really judge 'effectiveness' this way, and if I ever do, I don't expect an omniscient being to agree with me on what the best thing to happen is.
Time for a post. They have been sporadic of late!

Because it's Lent, here is the prayer of St Ephrem the Syrian, used by my kind at all weekday services during the Great Fast:

O Lord and Master of my life, do not give me the spirit of sloth, idle curiosity, lust for power, and useless chatter. But rather accord to me, Your servant, the spirit of sobriety, patience, humility and love. Yes, Lord and King, grant me to see my own faults and not to condemn my brother, for You are blessed to the ages of ages. Amen.

Also as it's Lent, in the highly likely event that I have managed to offend anybody on the internet, I ask your forgiveness.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for sharing the call to prayer. I'm learning a lot about a region of the world I knew nothing about, I hope things are settled peacefully. Rain Report- Plenty. Also, as I was driving through Calif. yesterday I could see in the distance the tops of the Sierra Nevada Mountains and they had quite a bit of snow on them.
Reply 2738
Today in Cath Soc, we pray for all A Level students revising and preparing for summer exams. We invite you to join us in our prayers, in whatever way you see fit :h:

Wait, I'm supposed to be revising?! :eek3:

:getmecoat:
Today in Cath Soc, we pray for all those affected by the missing Malaysian plane :sadnod: Please join our prayers in whatever way you wish :grouphugs:

Original post by Mazzini
Wait, I'm supposed to be revising?! :eek3:

:getmecoat:

:teehee:

:console:

Original post by OurSeaBee
Time for a post. They have been sporadic of late!

Because it's Lent, here is the prayer of St Ephrem the Syrian, used by my kind at all weekday services during the Great Fast:

O Lord and Master of my life, do not give me the spirit of sloth, idle curiosity, lust for power, and useless chatter. But rather accord to me, Your servant, the spirit of sobriety, patience, humility and love. Yes, Lord and King, grant me to see my own faults and not to condemn my brother, for You are blessed to the ages of ages. Amen.

Also as it's Lent, in the highly likely event that I have managed to offend anybody on the internet, I ask your forgiveness.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a nice prayer. I think I needed to read something like that today, so thank you :hugs:
Original post by Oldcon1953
Thanks for sharing the call to prayer. I'm learning a lot about a region of the world I knew nothing about, I hope things are settled peacefully. Rain Report- Plenty. Also, as I was driving through Calif. yesterday I could see in the distance the tops of the Sierra Nevada Mountains and they had quite a bit of snow on them.

Glad to hear there's lots of rain! :gah:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending