The Student Room Group

Got 4 Rejections for Medicine (2014 Entry)...

I applied for Medicine, and got rejected from all of my choices without even being interviewed once (I'm in my second year of A Levels by the way). I think that the rejections were due to a low UKCAT score (630/Band 4) and GCSEs (1A*,1Dist*,1Dist, 7As, 2.5Bs). My predicted grades were good (A*A*A in Maths, Chemistry and Physics respectively). I hold an unconditional offer for Chemistry, but I think it will be too expensive for me to do Chemistry and then apply as a graduate for Medicine. So, I'm thinking of taking a gap year and reapplying. Would you recommend me applying to the same universities next year as I did this year (provided that I achieve my predicted grades and improve on my UKCAT in the gap year)?

Also, this question may seem a bit stupid, would I have to apply for student finance next year or could I apply this year as a deferred entrant? And, since I would have finished my A Levels this year, would I still be considered as a student and be eligible for Student Finance? Thanking you in anticipation.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by 123456789012
I applied for Medicine, and got rejected from all of my choices without even being interviewed once... I'm thinking of taking a gap year and reapplying.... Would I have to apply for student finance next year or could I apply this year as a deferred entrant? And, since I would have finished my A Levels this year, would I still be considered as a student and be eligible for Student Finance? Thanking you in anticipation.

You get student finance for the number of years of your course plus one, and you can apply for non-means tested loans for both tuition fees and living costs (as well as means tested grants/loans for living costs). Student finance applications open around six months before you are due to start each year of your course. This means that most people taking a gap year from Sept 14 to Sept 15 would apply via UCAS in Sept/Oct 14, get a job or work experience for the rest of the year, and put in their application to Student Finance about March/April 2015.
I applied for Medicine, and got rejected from all of my choices without even being interviewed once (I'm in my second year of A Levels by the way). I think that the rejections were due to a low UKCAT score (630/Band 4) and GCSEs (1A*,1Dist*,1Dist, 7As, 2.5Bs). My predicted grades were good (A*A*A in Maths, Chemistry and Physics respectively). I hold an unconditional offer for Chemistry, but I think it will be too expensive for me to do Chemistry and then apply as a graduate for Medicine. So, I'm thinking of taking a gap year and reapplying. Would you recommend me applying to the same universities next year as I did this year (provided that I achieve my predicted grades and improve on my UKCAT in the gap year)?

Also, this question may seem a bit stupid, would I have to apply for student finance next year or could I apply this year as a deferred entrant? And, since I would have finished my A Levels this year, would I still be considered as a student and be eligible for Student Finance? Thanking you in anticipation.

It depends on which universities you applied to, I suppose. I got 4 rejections as well with only 1 interview, but I only intend to re-apply to 1 or 2 out of those 4. What are your gap year plans?
Reply 3
I'd recommend taking a gap year and getting hands on care work to show commitment, which areas of the UKCAT do you need to improve on the most?
Reply 4
I'd take a gap year too.
But it isn't all about your ukcat. You got an interview yet still didn't get in, so that does show you need to improve on your interview technique too...
But better ukcat normally does mean more interview chances, but do work on the interview too
Original post by Freyr
I'd take a gap year too.
But it isn't all about your ukcat. You got an interview yet still didn't get in, so that does show you need to improve on your interview technique too...
But better ukcat normally does mean more interview chances, but do work on the interview too

No, in the OP he said that he wasn't interviewed even once.
Reply 6
Original post by suzylemonade
No, in the OP he said that he wasn't interviewed even once.

Oh right my bad!
I didn't read to perky and thought the was interviewed once!
Reply 7
NHS do sponsor graduate medicine
Reply 8
Try getting into clearing don't get discouraged from the rejections they don't mean anything... Unis become very flexible and crave for students during results day because not everyone will get the grade they were predicted for and places become free but get taken just as quick because there will be people like you who actually got the grades..
I'm not sure if that works for medicine though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9

Before you reapply to the same universities do consider what their GCSE requirements are/how much emphasis they place on them.

And you apply for student finance the year you start the course. And yes you would still be eligible for finance.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jelly1000
Before you reapply to the same universities do consider what their GCSE requirements are/how much emphasis they place on them.

And no you apply for student finance in the year you go to university. You aren't a student once you finish A-Levels until you start another course so if you take a gap year you aren't eligible for any money.

I don't think this is right. If you take a gap year you are still eligible gor student finance. I'm on a gap year and im am applying without issues. Plus I've had firiends on gap years who still got money. As long as you don't have any other degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by babychocolate
I don't think this is right. If you take a gap year you are still eligible gor student finance. I'm on a gap year and im am applying without issues. Plus I've had firiends on gap years who still got money. As long as you don't have any other degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mean you aren't eligible for finance during the gap year. I misread the OP's post and thought they were asking if they were eligible for finance next year even if they don't go to uni
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
I was in the same postition as you mate. First year I applied got 4 pre interview rejections. Was gutted. I was predicted AAA, and had 2A*, 5A, 3B at GCSEm also had 637.5 in my UKCAT. Had an offer for biomedical sciences but decided to try again. I was fortunate enough to get the AAA and I took a UKCAT course which helped me get 760 Band 2 in my UKCAT. I then applied to UKCAT heavy unis (i.e. unis which determine their interview applicants via their UKCAT - Glasgow, Manchester, Hull York and St Georges). Got 4 interviews as a result and am not sitting on one offer, one rejection, one waiting list, and one decision pending. I know how it feels to not get an interviews first time round. But if you get the grades just try again - people really underestimate the UKCAT, but a large no. of medical schools give interviews to students based on their UKCAT, so unless you have amazing GCSE's, this is probably the route to try and take. Of course getting a high UKCAT is easier said than done but try the Kaplan course (pretty expensive but I think its worth it). Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 13
I'm in the same position 4 rejections pre interview, not completely sure why still waiting on feedback from 2 of the places, 1 of them was because of a low BMAT score. However I did get a high UKCAT score 752 band 1, GCSEs 6A*s 6As and predicted 3A*s in bio chem and maths. I applied to UCL, Edinburgh Leeds and Bristol. But I don't think I'll be applying to these ones next year, I've heard Exeter have about 1000 applicants which is lower than most medical schools so I might apply there as I may stand a better chance of getting in. Such a pain having to apply again but hey maybe a gap year will be for the best.
Not really sure what to do for my gap year?? Any advice on improving application/ what to do in gap year??
Original post by Holmstock
You get student finance for the number of years of your course plus one, and you can apply for non-means tested loans for both tuition fees and living costs (as well as means tested grants/loans for living costs). Student finance applications open around six months before you are due to start each year of your course. This means that most people taking a gap year from Sept 14 to Sept 15 would apply via UCAS in Sept/Oct 14, get a job or work experience for the rest of the year, and put in their application to Student Finance about March/April 2015.

Sorry for the late reply, but thank you for letting me know.
Original post by brbwafflesyay
It depends on which universities you applied to, I suppose. I got 4 rejections as well with only 1 interview, but I only intend to re-apply to 1 or 2 out of those 4. What are your gap year plans?

Hmm. Okay, thanks. I plan to gain some more work experience, retake my UKCAT, and maybe get a part time job in the gap year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by inversus
I'd recommend taking a gap year and getting hands on care work to show commitment, which areas of the UKCAT do you need to improve on the most?

Thanks for the advice. I need to improve on the verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning and SJT.
Original post by jelly1000

And you apply for student finance the year you start the course. And yes you would still be eligible for finance.

Thanks for making that clear! :smile:
Original post by Kaneda
Try getting into clearing don't get discouraged from the rejections they don't mean anything... Unis become very flexible and crave for students during results day because not everyone will get the grade they were predicted for and places become free but get taken just as quick because there will be people like you who actually got the grades..
I'm not sure if that works for medicine though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! Appreciate your concern. :smile:
Original post by Toub123
I was in the same postition as you mate. First year I applied got 4 pre interview rejections. Was gutted. I was predicted AAA, and had 2A*, 5A, 3B at GCSEm also had 637.5 in my UKCAT. Had an offer for biomedical sciences but decided to try again. I was fortunate enough to get the AAA and I took a UKCAT course which helped me get 760 Band 2 in my UKCAT. I then applied to UKCAT heavy unis (i.e. unis which determine their interview applicants via their UKCAT - Glasgow, Manchester, Hull York and St Georges). Got 4 interviews as a result and am not sitting on one offer, one rejection, one waiting list, and one decision pending. I know how it feels to not get an interviews first time round. But if you get the grades just try again - people really underestimate the UKCAT, but a large no. of medical schools give interviews to students based on their UKCAT, so unless you have amazing GCSE's, this is probably the route to try and take. Of course getting a high UKCAT is easier said than done but try the Kaplan course (pretty expensive but I think its worth it). Hope that helps :smile:

Thanks a lot for the advice! Yeah, I should try Kaplan for preparation in the gap year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending