The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

I think if it's OK by people, I might suggest a few things for our rosary intentions, based on the Pontifex Twitter account? :ninja:

Today though, I would like to invite those of you praying the rosary, to offer it up for the Crimean region :frown:
Reply 6501
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I think if it's OK by people, I might suggest a few things for our rosary intentions, based on the Pontifex Twitter account? :ninja:

Today though, I would like to invite those of you praying the rosary, to offer it up for the Crimean region :frown:

Oops, I knew there was something else I was supposed to be doing yesterday :colondollar:

Met the new youth coordinator for the next door parish in paperchase today. God is good :teeth:
Original post by Aula
Oops, I knew there was something else I was supposed to be doing yesterday :colondollar:

Met the new youth coordinator for the next door parish in paperchase today. God is good :teeth:

Dw, I haven't done my rosary yet :colondollar: Luminous mysteries :ahhhhh:
Couldn't bear to do the Luminous Mysteries, so I think I'll do two rosaries today to make up for it.

Today's intention, at Aula's wise suggestion, is that we pray for all A Level students preparing for their summer exams. May the Holy Spirit encourage and work through them! :h:
I was wondering if anyone here is knowledgeable about altar serving?

There was always one part during altar serving I remember doing when I was an altar server at my old church but don't think I have seen done at other Churches. But I always remember somewhere before the Eucharist we used to come out with candles and someone would come out with incense and I think we would all kneel before the altar. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I was wondering if anyone knows what that was and if it has a name? The Mass I used to go to there used to be a lot of altar servers and so I guess more roles had to be created so everybody got to do something :tongue: So maybe the priest just included it just to give everybody a role?
Reply 6505
I know it's similar to Thursday, but it'd be good if today we could pray for the Ukraine, that the people who live there may have peace.

I'm a member of postcrossing (look it up if you don't know what it is, it's awesome :teeth:) and today I received a postcard from someone in the Ukraine asking for prayers.

Also, exciting news! http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2014/03/07/medical-experts-approve-miracle-attributed-to-archbishop-fulton-sheen/
Sure thing, Aula! Today we pray for the Ukraine, all its people, and for its governors, so that peace may prevail :sadnod:

We also pray for Poncho Kid's sister, who may be made homeless soon :frown: We pray for all those facing difficulty with housing and accommodation :sadnod:

(Confession: too depressed to do the last two rosaries. I fail at Lent and thus fail at life :bawling: )

Ah yes, I heard about this Fulton Sheen miracle! Very exciting indeed :biggrin:
Original post by The Epicurean
I was wondering if anyone here is knowledgeable about altar serving?

There was always one part during altar serving I remember doing when I was an altar server at my old church but don't think I have seen done at other Churches. But I always remember somewhere before the Eucharist we used to come out with candles and someone would come out with incense and I think we would all kneel before the altar. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I was wondering if anyone knows what that was and if it has a name? The Mass I used to go to there used to be a lot of altar servers and so I guess more roles had to be created so everybody got to do something :tongue: So maybe the priest just included it just to give everybody a role?

:wavey:

Did this happen at every service or at a particular time of year? I think I've seen something similar happen during Holy Week at my church, but certainly not as a regular occurence :dontknow:
Reply 6508
Sure thing, Aula! Today we pray for the Ukraine, all its people, and for its governors, so that peace may prevail :sadnod:

We also pray for Poncho Kid's sister, who may be made homeless soon :frown: We pray for all those facing difficulty with housing and accommodation :sadnod:

(Confession: too depressed to do the last two rosaries. I fail at Lent and thus fail at life :bawling: )

It's okay, I do too! :awesome:

:cry:

Ah yes, I heard about this Fulton Sheen miracle! Very exciting indeed :biggrin:

It's not a miracle yet - still a few more hoops to be jumped through, but it's certainly on the way there.
Original post by Aula
It's okay, I do too! :awesome:

:cry:

:console: :hugs: :console:

It's OK - Jesus knows what's in our hearts and I'm sure our intention to pray counts for something, even if we don't quite get to doing the actual rosary itself :colondollar:

It's not a miracle yet - still a few more hoops to be jumped through, but it's certainly on the way there.

Sorry, my bad :colondollar: Exciting stuff though, for sure :ahee:
:wavey:

Did this happen at every service or at a particular time of year? I think I've seen something similar happen during Holy Week at my church, but certainly not as a regular occurence :dontknow:

I am pretty sure I remember it being all year around. But I have the feeling that the priest probably just added extra roles for the altar servers because there were so many.
So ..how's Lent going for you guys?
Today I think our prayer/rosary intention should be the missing Malaysian plane. Quite worrying really :erm:

Original post by getfunky!

It's already driven me crazy :getmecoat:
Reply 6513
Today I think our prayer/rosary intention should be the missing Malaysian plane. Quite worrying really :erm:

I was thinking this, although we could keep it for Monday as Sundays don't count during lent :mmm:

It's already driven me crazy :getmecoat:

:ditto:

I miss butter :puppyeyes:
Original post by Aula
I was thinking this, although we could keep it for Monday as Sundays don't count during lent :mmm:

I always ignore the Sunday thing coz if I give in on Sundays, I'll never be able to start again on Mondays :colondollar:

:ditto:

I miss butter :puppyeyes:

:console:
Since Sundays do not count...

Today we pray for the missing Malaysian aeroplane: those on board and those affected by its disappearance :sadnod: We continue to pray for peace in the Ukraine :sadnod:
Today, may I suggest we pray for our dear brothers and sisters who live in fear due to persecution and the threat of violence and death?

We continue to pray for the Ukraine and for the missing Malaysian aeroplane :sadnod:

(I hope no one minds me leading these prayers/talking to myself btw :colondollar: )
Original post by getfunky!

I am finding the Lent calendar a source of inspiration each day. I am not drinking alcohol for Lent.
Reply 6518
Original post by barnetlad
I did the 'which disciple are you?' quiz and got St Thomas. I have my doubts about such quizzes.

I got Saint Jude! (I think it was because I said I was patient).

TLG's news bulletin for the day:

- WOO IT'S MARCH :eek3: :banana: :yay:
- It's almost Lent! :ahhhhh:
- Diety has jokingly suggested it would be fun to make all of X Soc do the rosary.

You in? (see bullet point three)

CATH SOC INVASION OF X SOC FTW! :colone: :ahee: :devil:

- I have decided to treat myself to a nice Paperchase scrapbook, for my preparation for/journey to/journey through Israel :h:

So yesterday, at Christian Union at Hull Uni we did laying on of hands so it was a bit strange for me! I'm not sure if they think that our hands actually have special powers :curious:. I have tried to get people from CathSoc to go but unsurprisingly they're reluctant to .

Original post by Aula
Which Biblical Heroine Are You?

You got: Esther
Wikimedia Commons
Beautiful and sweet, you’re a deep thinker and a bit of an introvert. People often make assumptions or underestimate you because of your physical appearance, not realizing that behind the pretty face is a ferociously intelligent mind and a passion for justice. Although you prefer to stay out of the spotlight, nothing can stop you from standing up for the things you believe in. You’re definitely going to change the world one day.

:awesome:

i got Esther too! We should really all meet up.:biggrin:

Today, may I suggest we pray for our dear brothers and sisters who live in fear due to persecution and the threat of violence and death?

We continue to pray for the Ukraine and for the missing Malaysian aeroplane :sadnod:

(I hope no one minds me leading these prayers/talking to myself btw :colondollar: )

I remember last year I think I kept saying "Do you think the End Times are coming?"

Lent is going well for me even though I realy struggled to decide what to do for it. :smile:

Has anyone heard of NUCS? It's the Northern Union of Catholic Societies, I went to the Spring Conference on Saturday in Ilkley (Leeds were hosting it) and all had a good time. I asked if some universities don't even know that this exists and apparently quite a few don't. I've discovered that is a good way of sharing ideas and meeting other Catholics, would be good if it could develop.
(edited 10 years ago)
I hadn't heard of NUCS either! Glad you enjoyed the Conference - sounds great to meet other young Catholics :biggrin:

Bit weird for a lay person to do laying on of hands, not gonna lie :erm:

TODAY'S PRAYER INTENTION

We pray for all those affected by poor weather conditions, such as drought and famine, and natural disasters that have continued to impact long after the event itself :sadnod:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending