The Student Room Group

Why does everyone hate teachers?

I just don't understand it.

I currently work in a preschool, working long hours. My dream is to become a primary school teacher, as working with children is a passion of mine. However, I am increasingly off-put by the level of disdain and sometimes outright hatred shown towards teachers.

People think they're lazy, and have short working days - yet, even working in a preschool, I work 7:30-6:00 with half an hour break and then come home and work for an extra hour on planning and paperwork! It's hardly a short day. Sure, there are regular breaks - but teachers go in throughout the half terms to do paperwork and training (and I work all through the year). Even if teachers DID get that much time off work, I'd say they deserve it with the amount of hours and effort they put in compared to their pay!

I never hear anything positive being said about teachers. They are constantly being put down, and yet the people putting them down forget that it was teachers that gave them the skills to be able to air their opinions anyway. Why do people hate them so much?
Reply 1
Original post by snowyowl

Some teachers were good others were not.

Hopefully you'll be one of the good ones:smile:
I don't think people hate teachers at all, I think sometimes , especially in an environment full of children or teenagers, people are likely to feel insecure thus are heavily affected by people around them inflicting power upon them. Don't lose hope, most people greatly admire their teachers and it's only a tiny minority who think that it's fine to disrespect teachers. It'll get better, don't give up :smile:

I currently work in a preschool, working long hours. My dream is to become a primary school teacher, as working with children is a passion of mine. However, I am increasingly off-put by the level of disdain and sometimes outright hatred shown towards teachers.

People think they're lazy, and have short working days - yet, even working in a preschool, I work 7:30-6:00 with half an hour break and then come home and work for an extra hour on planning and paperwork! It's hardly a short day. Sure, there are regular breaks - but teachers go in throughout the half terms to do paperwork and training (and I work all through the year). Even if teachers DID get that much time off work, I'd say they deserve it with the amount of hours and effort they put in compared to their pay!

I never hear anything positive being said about teachers. They are constantly being put down, and yet the people putting them down forget that it was teachers that gave them the skills to be able to air their opinions anyway. Why do people hate them so much?

I don't hate teachers just to clarify. But you get less pay because really you don't work for 6 weeks of the summer holidays, plus there are Christmas and Easter breaks that people in other jobs like lawyers don't get. I personally think whilst primary teachers should earn a bit more, it's not that disproportionate when considering the massive amounts of time you get off work compared to other jobs.

Why people hate teachers - honestly, the only people I've ever known to hate teachers are the slightly thick, the lazy, or those who just don't want to learn things. People who in general don't value education anyway.
Original post by infairverona
I don't hate teachers just to clarify. But you get less pay because really you don't work for 6 weeks of the summer holidays, plus there are Christmas and Easter breaks that people in other jobs like lawyers don't get. I personally think whilst primary teachers should earn a bit more, it's not that disproportionate when considering the massive amounts of time you get off work compared to other jobs.

Why people hate teachers - honestly, the only people I've ever known to hate teachers are the slightly thick, the lazy, or those who just don't want to learn things. People who in general don't value education anyway.

Can I just clarify that I personally work all 52 weeks of the year, only getting bank holidays off work.

The time teachers get "off" isn't used to relax though, with the large amounts of paperwork and staff training they have.
Can I just clarify that I personally work all 52 weeks of the year, only getting bank holidays off work.

The time teachers get "off" isn't used to relax though, with the large amounts of paperwork and staff training they have.

Really? I know a lot of primary teachers who don't do anything in the summer. What really is there to do if you're organised through the year? Many friends of mine who have gone to teach primary are always boasting about how much time they get off. One of them goes in a week before the school year starts to prepare her classroom but doesn't do anything through the summer.
Original post by infairverona
Really? I know a lot of primary teachers who don't do anything in the summer. What really is there to do if you're organised through the year? Many friends of mine who have gone to teach primary are always boasting about how much time they get off. One of them goes in a week before the school year starts to prepare her classroom but doesn't do anything through the summer.

:dontknow: The anecdotes I've heard tell a different story, of people going in to work to attend staff training and complete planning/paperwork/attend meetings etc.
Reply 7
I agree their working hours are quite long, but to be fair the holidays more than make up for it. If you include all the holidays its something like 13 weeks holiday(even more for private school teachers), more than double what the average person gets.

My sister is a teacher and she always tells me about how undervalued they are. I think people resent that they have so much holiday (relatively), but the amount of out-of-hours work that is done by teachers is really not to be envied!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I don't hate teachers :h: I hate bad teachers who don't motivate a student and think they are superior :erm: I loved some of my teachers because they always motivated me and generally, our relationship was great whereas there were teachers who would treat you like you deserve to be treated as a trash :facepalm:

To be a teacher is difficult and those who say it's easy, have no clue about teaching. Teachers have to deal with all sorts of situations, including idiotic students :facepalm:
I feel for teachers tbh

but some are ao jobs worth it ia unreal

my year 2 teacher, Emma her name was. Absolutely stunning, i could never hate her.
because not everyone hates teachers
Oh, I feel your pain OP. I aspire to be a Secondary School teacher and omg I know. I think shows like Tough Young Teachers and Educating Yorkshire would have opened mines to the public about the profession. But I think it's the media that fabricate things all the time.

I know that my a English Lit teacher has so much to do all the time. And I think it depends on the subject as well. For example, English, maths and science teachers have it harder because it's a compulsory subject which means a lot more marking has to be done to keep on top of targets. Unlike D&T or music teaders, they will have a reduced timetable to that of core subjects like English and Maths.

I know for English teachers, their paperwork is immense and ridiculously huge! The amount of planning, marking and assessing you have to keep on doing to stay on top of just ONE class is stupidly crazy. If teachers set their A-level students to do their coursework over Christmas, the teachers will be marking their GCSE controlled assessments. If it's not this, its KS3 APP assessments. The marking for English is never-ending literally throughout the whole school year you will mark and mark and mark to attain standards and targets set my Senior Leadership.

In the 6 weeks, even though there's nothing to mark (depending on your position, deadlines, and classes you keep for the following year), I guarantee English teachers will get about 3-4 weeks off which is quite a long time. But however, depending on your nex year classes, you will have to rearrange Schemes of Work to suit your set and class, update them and update your own teaching plans and etc. Most teachers do suit their classroom out within the last week which is fine. Rearranging SoW for higher, mixed or lower students takes such a long time.

A lot of people just undervalue the teaching profession and I think it's because they never knew what went on outside the classroom when they were at school. Most people just assume teachers teach classes to classes and that's it. They don't know what goes on apart from their own class really. If more shows like Educating Yorkshire (maybe not in such a dump) would actually ironically educate the people who moan about teaching. But hey-yo, ignorant is bliss as they say.
Reply 13
I value you :smile: Everyone values GOOD teachers.
It's the same with all professions, no one likes a bad doctor, lawyer or anything.

If people are complaining, I don't understand. The teachers who get more holidays are probably not paid as much. You have to decide whether you like the holidays or the money.
I would like to know as well. Even my close family will say to me that we're a lazy bunch with the holidays, and that the unions are evil etc, etc. People seem to forget that the holidays are earnt, yes a small minority of teachers come in at 9 and finish at 5 (even they will have hours more work to do), but teachers that do well are utterly dedicated. It's a hugely multi faceted and stressful job, which is why morale is at an all time low - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-20877397.

Makes me sad how undervalued it is, when it is so utterly important.
Original post by username91207

move schools
Original post by username91207

They dont. Cant remember any of mine I hated and a lot of them I really liked.
Usually because they are a convenient scapegoat for poor management and political problems in my opinion.
Programmed zionist cultural subversion whereby all the traditional authority figures namely parents, teachers and the police are dismantled. This is symptomatic of a transition in to a form of communism where everyone is put on universal basic income and there is no hierarchy beyond the 2% technocratic financial elite.
Original post by Jayzayle
move schools

They have probably left school by now :lol:

Latest

Trending

Trending