The Student Room Group

24 year old a dating a 17 year old? Is it right?

I'm currently talking to a 17 year old girl a lot. I'm really interested in her and really want to make a move and ask her on a date. Something keeps on holding me back. We seem to flirt a lot making fun of each other and calling and texting each other a lot talking about life. I really enjoy talking to her. She's loads of fun and she's also really mature for her age too.

I don't want to be seen as a perv who's lusting over teenagers. Call me silly, but I'm gonna be 25 soon so that will mean she's 8 years younger than me. I really like her though. Is 17 when your 25 too young? Is the fact that I find her a mix of smart, funny, cute and sexually attractive wrong? I mean she's still in sixth form. I'm nearly leaving university.

Scroll to see replies

I've been in this situation before, but me being the girl. I started talking to this person online and we swapped numbers. I was 15, coming 16 and he was 23. We got quite close, and talked about being in a relationship but long story short we stopped talking, which I regret now but my phone broke so i've lost contact with him. We never met, but talked about it, but I'm a shy person so didn't really initiate it.
Anyway, as you said she's mature, just like I was, so really it's up 2 both of you, plus she's over 16 so you wouldn't be in trouble or anything. Just talk about it and take it slow. I'd say go for it. If i was still talking to him now, i think we'd be in a relationship, which is 7/8years so. It's what you make of it. I wish you all the best. :smile:
There's a 10 year age gap between my boyfriend and me.
She's over the age of 16, if you really like her then why care what anyone else thinks? If you don't go for it, you could be throwing away something pretty amazing.

I've been with my partner for 2 years now.
If you really like her then don't worry so much. For all you know, she could be thinking the same thing.

If it helps there's a 13 year age gap between my best friend's mum and her dad. Her mum is (or was?) in her late 30s when her dad was in his early 50s
It shouldn't make any difference at all.

I'm in an 10 year age gap relationship and have been for 7 years now. It has, honestly, been the best thing to happen in my life. It has never been an issue, and in fact, for me was an advantage in a lot of ways.

Be prepared for some mick-taking. That's inevitable. But, I've found it's mostly not malicious (friends usually tease about their friends' choice of partners-- heck I teased a mate for seeing a guy called Randalf.). But, if it is, tell them where to stick it. You are both adults and can do whatever and whomever you like.
My mum and dad were this exact age when they met each other. Still together.
I was born in December 1983
my husband was born in November 1976

we've been together since July 2001
got married April 2005
we're still together, and pretty happy right at the moment.

You do the maths :wink:
Original post by Anonymous
I don't want to be seen as a perv who's lusting over teenagers.

Every man lusts over teenagers. Typically the reason older men don't date teenage women is because they don't relate to them as well as older women, not because there's anything wrong with finding a young woman attractive.
She's over 16 therefore I don't see a problem. I know people who have had big age gaps and they have been perfectly happy together! I don't see why you guys couldn't work! :smile:
I'm 19 and my boyfriend is 8 years older than I am. I don't think it matters if you like each other and you have things in common.
I don't see the problem with it.

Though most people that age are so incredibly annoying and immature there are exceptions so meh.
Reply 11
Hi I'm 27 I met a girl at college who's 17 and I like her so much I asked her out she snogged me and said does that answer ur question then on the night she txt me saying night love uuu xxx ) I txt her back saying u cart say that till u mean it love is a strong word since then she's like gone all upset saying she said it to put a smile on my face .. She txt me saying she's not ready for a relationship cause of her past and to stay close mates for a bit ) I really like her and I wana take things slow and be with her .. Can u give me some help what to do I feel so low
I don't think there's anything wrong with this at all. I'm a 16 year old girl and am hugely attracted to older guys. So far to the point that I wouldn't date someone my age and am only ever interested in guys at least 23+
I think if you're both happy then what the hells wrong with it!!
1/2 your age +7 is the rule my man :wink:
Reply 14
Can u guide me on my problom plz the girl I want is 17 I'm 27
Was going to say get in because I though it was the other way around , but still , GETT IN
Original post by I.D.G.A.F.O.S
1/2 your age +7 is the rule my man :wink:

Exactly which puts her needing to be 19 for it to be acceptable. Sorry mate. What you need to do is wait for her to be 21 then you'll be fine.

Use Jet Li's marriage as inspiration. Jet Li had been divorced. When he met his new wife, he fell in love. But they didn't get married. They decided that if they truly loved each other, that they'd wait 10 years before getting married. He continued his acting career becoming the biggest star. 10 years later, they were still very much in love. They married, he took a break from acting and they've been living happily ever since.
When you're over 21 girls under 18 really do come across as children, in both looks and behaviour. Often shocked when I see girls out and assume they're still at school when in fact they're at university! But I'm 27 so have an even bigger age difference.
Reply 18
I have the same age-gap as you - I'm 25 and my girlfriend's 18. Not a problem for us.
Reply 19
I've always been attracted to guys older than me, I had a 'thing' with a 24 year old as well as 23 year old guy for a few months. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending