The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Realistically need to beat Real at the Bernebeu for the title.

I like Martino but if he can't motivate the team against the smaller teams he's not the guy for the job.
Reply 3821
Original post by CB91
Realistically need to beat Real at the Bernebeu for the title.

I like Martino but if he can't motivate the team against the smaller teams he's not the guy for the job.

I don't think so. Regardless of how this season ends, I think Martino should be given time.

We're not any more inconsistent than in the 2008/9 season, which has been unfairly glorified because of the treble. So far, we've drawn 3 games and lost 4. In that season, we drew 6 and lost 5. The difference was that we had a bit of luck here and there, our players were younger and not used to winning title after title.

It took Pep two years & a lot experiments and squad changes until he got use to dominate every team we faced in 2011. To really see what Martino can do we should give him time and the chance to execute his ideas on the transfer market/squad planning. Of course there's no guarantee that he will turn out to be the right man, but from what I've seen from his work at Uruguay and also this season at Barça (alternating the style of play, introducing direct elements, man management, rotation, tactics in big games (!)), I think he looks promising.

Imo the board needs to go though. Rosell has let the club go down the drains, Bartomeu is not any different and Zubi is just incompetent. The problems have been there and ignored for years and there's no suggestion that they'd change anything about it in the future. We need reelections in the summer.

That said, we've dropped almost three times as many points in our last 9 games as we did in our first 18. So it is indeed a crumble. But honestly it's amazing how we've come out relatively well in the last two years considereing we've played like crap most of the time and have glaring weaknesses in our squad; I guess the individual class of players like Messi, Iniesta etc has aided in that. Pretty obvious we need changes and I hope Martino has the right things in mind.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by qua
I don't think so. Regardless of how this season ends, I think Martino should be given time.

We're not any more inconsistent than in the 2008/9 season, which has been unfairly glorified because of the treble. So far, we've drawn 3 games and lost 4. In that season, we drew 6 and lost 5. The difference was that we had a bit of luck here and there, our players were younger and not used to winning title after title.

It took Pep two years & a lot experiments and squad changes until he got use to dominate every team we faced in 2011. To really see what Martino can do we should give him time and the chance to execute his ideas on the transfer market/squad planning. Of course there's no guarantee that he will turn out to be the right man, but from what I've seen from his work at Uruguay and also this season at Barça (alternating the style of play, introducing direct elements, man management, rotation, tactics in big games (!)), I think he looks promising.

Imo the board needs to go though. Rosell has let the club go down the drains, Bartomeu is not any different and Zubi is just incompetent. The problems have been there and ignored for years and there's no suggestion that they'd change anything about it in the future.

Iirc in 08-09 we just gave up once the title was over and won something like 1 in the last 6, so I dont think you can really compare tbh.

Maybe he'll be the right man, maybe not. Theres been a lot of off field bs this season that I think has affected the team but id like to see Martino be a bit firmer sometimes. Show the players who the boss sort of thing.

True about the board though, you know its bad when Laporta would be a step up on what is currently in place.
Original post by Pistol 33
Bale scores Hatrick vs Valladolid

Barca fans : ' They're a **** team'

Messi scores 0 goals vs
Valladolid.

Barca fans: 'They're a strong team, its hard to score against them'.

you ****ing what mate?
Reply 3824
Original post by CB91
Iirc in 08-09 we just gave up once the title was over and won something like 1 in the last 6, so I dont think you can really compare tbh.

Maybe he'll be the right man, maybe not. Theres been a lot of off field bs this season that I think has affected the team but id like to see Martino be a bit firmer sometimes. Show the players who the boss sort of thing.

True about the board though, you know its bad when Laporta would be a step up on what is currently in place.

Just checked, we had 3 draws and 3 defeats back then at the beginning of March, so only one less than Martino now. And to be fair Pep had been coaching the B team and known all the players for years so he had it a little easier.

I get your point about him not being "firm" enough, but I don't know if there's much he can do. The hunger/motivation/whatever is obviously gone and it'd probably take some fresh players integrated into the team & getting rid of the deadwood (even if they're Catalan or La Masia players etc) to get it back. And then the behaviour of the board in recent years has more or less signalled that nobody needs to fear losing his spot; so if Piqué decides to do a little less work in smaller games, he knows Martino can do nothing against him because he's FCB's former vice president's grandson and his only competition is Bartra and Mascherano. Etc.

But then there's certainly something wrong in the dressing room. The players weren't this unmotivated in the first half of the season. I think the whole **** with Rosell stepping down, Neymar deal confusion, fraud has disrupted the dressing room. Not sure if it's the only factor but it certainy plays a role.

Anyway, don't mind losing out on titles if it means the board will go. :dontknow:
(edited 10 years ago)
Watching Barca's loss was glorious, they were ridiculously bad.

Where are the fans saying Barca "are coming for Madrid"? Laughable.

After Madrid sweep the Catalan whiners aside we will be 7 points clear of them, Atleti will valiantly finish second and Barca can take the last Champions League place as consolation.

I can already taste the water of Cibeles.
Real has won the league. halamadrid
The league is over.

Barcelona need to win the Copa to restore respect.

However, I think Real will win the treble this year. Real and Bayern are in a league of their own.
Reply 3828
Always amazing to see what kind of people RM attracts.

Anyway. Granada being 2-0 up against Villarreal currently. Villarreal dominating possession but Granada having about twice as many chances, even though one of the goals was a penalty. Would be a huge result for them.
Apparently Tata is trying to implement a slightly different (faster tempo and more direct) style of play and some of the players don't want to do it
Reply 3830
Original post by The Assassin
Apparently Tata is trying to implement a slightly different (faster tempo and more direct) style of play and some of the players don't want to do it

Tata played much more direct in the first half of the season and that wasn't a problem. In fact I think many players approved of it because the old tactics had become too rigid (cf. 2012/13). Now he's using defensive possession again (which is why Barça struggle against parked buses) and all of a sudden, say since the beginning of the year, the players have stopped performing. There must be a different reason.

I really think the whole Neymar case has disrupted the team. Ironically, the Barça member who made that public did it to benefit the club & its members. Which in itself, it does, because it means that perhaps the board will have to go and corruption will stop. But with that timing he just managed to break the season, I'm afraid. Players that have grown up with the club and its "values" losing trust in it can never be a good thing.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by qua
Tata played much more direct in the first half of the season and that wasn't a problem. In fact I think many players approved of it because the old tactics had become too rigid (cf. 2012/13). Now he's using defensive possession again (which is why Barça struggle against parked buses) and all of a sudden, say since the beginning of the year, the players have stopped performing. There must be a different reason.

I really think the whole Neymar case has disrupted the team. Ironically, the Barça member who made that public did it to benefit the club & its members. Which in itself, it does, because it means that perhaps the board will have to go and corruption will stop. But with that timing he just managed to break the season, I'm afraid. Players that have grown up with the club and its "values" losing trust in it can never be a good thing.

yeah may be other reasons too; but the info is solid (insider, apparently)
Original post by tengentoppa
Watching Barca's loss was glorious, they were ridiculously bad.

Where are the fans saying Barca "are coming for Madrid"? Laughable.

After Madrid sweep the Catalan whiners aside we will be 7 points clear of them, Atleti will valiantly finish second and Barca can take the last Champions League place as consolation.

I can already taste the water of Cibeles.

Some of the **** you post is laughable. Gonna win La Decima as well right? Like every year for the last 10 ? :rofl:
Reply 3833
Original post by qua

Is there going to be anymore to come from this? Last I heard, he's dropped it.
Was bringing Neymar off a good idea yesterday?He was the 2nd best player in the first half.
Reply 3835
Original post by 419
Is there going to be anymore to come from this? Last I heard, he's dropped it.

Yeah, he said he'd drop it, but the tax authorities have opened a case against the whole club regardless of that. So there will be a trial or at least legal action of some sort. FCB have published a statement after that denying any wrongdoing, but also announcing that they would pay additional €13.5m in taxes "given the existence of a possible divergent interpretation of the exact amount of tax responsibility arising from the signing and to defend the Club’s reputation and good name". So there was nothing wrong. But they pay out of good will. ... Make of that what you want. That certainly wasn't the end of it.

Wrt the club, Laporta (the former president) and some other socios have said they'd start a vote of no confidence. So there's a good chance the board will go in the summer. Which could open doors for a reconciliation with Cruijff, Pep and other club legends who have turned their back bc of the the current board.

What's funny is that if you looked into the other big money deals, you'd probably find similar inconsistencies in most of them. Bale most notably. RM say he cost 90m, Spurs they he cost 105, whereas the Spanish press say he cost between 100 and 130. Some Dutch RM member tried to launch a campaign to look into the deal back in September, but the whole story disappeared as soon as it became public. So hopefully this whole Neymargate affair will contribute to making Spanish football as a whole less corrupt.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by qua
Yeah, he said he'd drop it, but the tax authorities have opened a case against the whole club regardless of that. So there will be a trial or at least legal action of some sort. FCB have published a statement after that denying any wrongdoing, but also announcing that they would pay additional €13.5m in taxes "given the existence of a possible divergent interpretation of the exact amount of tax responsibility arising from the signing and to defend the Club’s reputation and good name". So there was nothing wrong. But they pay out of good will. ... Make of that what you want. That certainly wasn't the end of it.

Cases (the socio who started it) said he'd drop it because "there could be people who have nothing to do with Barca who take advantage of the situation and get involved in the complaint to try to harm the club", but of course that damage has already been done. Regardless of whether or not the club is cleared of the allegations (which could happen), the reputation of the club suffers a lot and makes all the més que un club myths even more of a farce than they have been in recent years.

Wrt the club, Laporta (the former president) and some other socios have said they'd start a vote of no confidence. So there's a good chance the board will go in the summer. Which could open doors for a reconciliation with Cruijff, Pep and other club legends who have turned their back bc of the the current board.

What's funny is that if you looked into the other big money deals, you'd probably find similar inconsistencies in most of them. Bale most notably. RM say he cost 90m, Spurs they he cost 105, whereas the Spanish press say he cost between 100 and 130. Some Dutch RM member tried to launch a campaign to look into the deal back in September, but the whole story disappeared as soon as it became public. So hopefully this whole Neymargate affair will contribute to making Spanish football as a whole less corrupt, and not just harm FCB.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Cruijff and Frank De Boer ride into town to 'save' Barcelona. Nobody really cares about Dutch football but they took Ajax from a really low point and are set to win an unparalleled 4 consecutive Eredivisie titles this year. They play a traditional Barca style too naturally! 4-3-3 with not so much focus on possession, would freshen things up.

Thing with Cruijff is that he will want totaal control and will try to force out anyone he doesn't like from the board, that's what he did at Ajax anyway. Barca probably won't want that.
(edited 10 years ago)
I love it how any Clasico defeat is over analysed on here.

My opinion is that it's healthy for the top teams to sometimes lose. Winning the league with 100/114 points on a 38 game league is ridiculous.

Saying that, I think Real Madrid could feasibly win their last 12 games and finish with 100 points.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3838
Original post by Zürich
Wouldn't surprise me to see Cruijff and Frank De Boer ride into town to 'save' Barcelona. Nobody really cares about Dutch football but they took Ajax from a really low point and are set to win an unparalleled 4 consecutive Eredivisie titles this year. They play a traditional Barca style too naturally! 4-3-3 with not so much focus on possession, would freshen things up.

Thing with Cruijff is that he will want totaal control and will try to force out anyone he doesn't like from the board, that's what he did at Ajax anyway. Barca probably won't want that.

I love what de Boer has done with Ajax (one of my favourite clubs to watch), which is why he was my favourite candidate when Pep and then Tito left. He'd be ideal - former FCB player, works well with youngsters & has a clear and distinct system he pragmatically implements, which is the main problem right now. The Pep system has degenerated for two seasons; Martino leaves it as it is and spices it up with a few counter attacks and long balls here and there, but he's failed to give the team an identity thus far. On top of that De Boer isn't someone to be intimidated by a player's name into playing or not benching him, which is important.

About Crujff, I think most socios want a complete overhaul so they wouldn't mind Crujff turning the club inside out. Especially because he's perceived as the personification of the Barça identity the club has turned away from with the current board. If the board goes, I doubt anybody would be safe anymore anyway given the current aggressive mood in the club. That includes players.
(edited 10 years ago)
Atletico Madrid well on their way to the Champions League Quarter Finals. Simeone has to be up there among the best coaches in the world with the job he has done at Atletico.

Superb manager.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest