The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Trying to change my Degree at Edinburgh...

Hi everyone,

I have an unconditional offer at Edinburgh to study History of Art. Along the line, I decided this really is not for me, and enquired about changing to English Language. I spoke to the head of the department, and she said she could not fit me on because it was full, but told me to speak to her again after results are out, as some may not make the grades. She said there are 16 places, and is expecting 20 to be on the course. (or something to that effect)

So, I have an anxious wait until results to find out if I can change (I have stupidly set my heart on this, and as I am absolutely in love with Edinburgh I do not want to study anywhere else).

My question is, how lenient are Edinburgh with people who do not meet the grades? Obviously I do not want to wish it upon others to not make it into Edinburgh...but I really want to be able to get on the course. Do you reckon there is any chance I'll be able to get on?
Reply 1
It's impossible to tell and give you a proper answer as it all depends on how well people do, how many miss their offer and by how much they miss their offer whether or not admissions can afford to be lenient. Either way, you can always still go to Edinburgh for HoA and due to the modular system you should be able to pick up English Language as one of your extra modules and eventually change your degree to it. It'd just mean you'd still have to do History of Art for at least the 1st semester.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
(I just posted this elsewhere, but thought it would be more suitable here)

Hi everyone,

I have an unconditional offer at Edinburgh to study History of Art. Along the line, I decided this really is not for me, and enquired about changing to English Language. I spoke to the head of the department, and she said she could not fit me on because it was full, but told me to speak to her again after results are out, as some may not make the grades. She said there are 16 places, and is expecting 20 to be on the course. (or something to that effect)

So, I have an anxious wait until results to find out if I can change (I have stupidly set my heart on this, and as I am absolutely in love with Edinburgh I do not want to study anywhere else).

My question is, how lenient are Edinburgh with people who do not meet the grades? Obviously I do not want to wish it upon others to not make it into Edinburgh...but I really want to be able to get on the course. Do you reckon there is any chance I'll be able to get on?
Original post by Demiguise
Hi everyone,

See the outside courses in 1st and 2nd year sticky thread at the top of this page.

As Ecosse says you can just take English language as your outside course at the start of first year and then switch your degree to it at the end of first year. You'd have to do history of art for at least a semester though.

And Edinburgh do not normally let people in who miss their offers.
Original post by oxymoronic
See the outside courses in 1st and 2nd year sticky thread at the top of this page.

As Ecosse says you can just take English language as your outside course at the start of first year and then switch your degree to it at the end of first year. You'd have to do history of art for at least a semester though.

And Edinburgh do not normally let people in who miss their offers.

Hi :smile: I know this thread is quite old haha but I have an offer for theology and I'm now considering more English lit. If I take English lit outside modules (sorry if that's not what they're called) can I then switch at the end of first year? Thanks!
Reply 5
Original post by Faye__1996
Hi :smile: I know this thread is quite old haha but I have an offer for theology and I'm now considering more English lit. If I take English lit outside modules (sorry if that's not what they're called) can I then switch at the end of first year? Thanks!

English Lit usually have no spaces whatsoever for people to take it as an outside subjects. It's a very, very popular degree at Edinburgh. In my first year, there were no spaces at all for it to be taken as an outside subject.
Reply 6
What are the choices for History as the one or two outside subjects in Years 1 and 2?
Reply 7
Original post by M!17
What are the choices for History as the one or two outside subjects in Years 1 and 2?

What do you mean exactly?

I know that people doing a History degree definitely need to take European History and there's also British History. There might be other history courses; there's also several courses from Classics, Archaeology and Asian Studies. For example, you could take East Asian Civilisation if you wanted.
Reply 8
Original post by Quick-use
What do you mean exactly?

I know that people doing a History degree definitely need to take European History and there's also British History. There might be other history courses; there's also several courses from Classics, Archaeology and Asian Studies. For example, you could take East Asian Civilisation if you wanted.

Well in years 1 and 2, History takes up 80/120 credits leaving 40 (ie. one course) available.

What I was asking was, are things like English, Politics, IR, Sociology available as the outside subject?
Reply 9
Original post by M!17
Well in years 1 and 2, History takes up 80/120 credits leaving 40 (ie. one course) available.

What I was asking was, are things like English, Politics, IR, Sociology available as the outside subject?

Ah! Sorry, thought you meant History courses as an outside course. :smile: Practically everything is possible unless there are time clashes or it's full. English Lit, for example, is nearly always full.

A friend's degree is Japanese and she took Physics in the first year, and this year, she took a course in Astronomy. A friend of mine doing English Lit and French took an outside course in Hebrew. :smile:
Reply 10
Ah! Sorry, thought you meant History courses as an outside course. :smile: Practically everything is possible unless there are time clashes or it's full. English Lit, for example, is nearly always full.

A friend's degree is Japanese and she took Physics in the first year, and this year, she took a course in Astronomy. A friend of mine doing English Lit and French took an outside course in Hebrew. :smile:

Ok cool thanks. Is there any way we can get an idea of what these modules are like for the outside subject?

And is the 40 credits in the outside subject semester or whole year? :smile:
Original post by M!17
Ok cool thanks. Is there any way we can get an idea of what these modules are like for the outside subject?

And is the 40 credits in the outside subject semester or whole year? :smile:

http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/13-14/dpt/drpsindex.htm <--- Here, you can go and check the modules.

40 credits are two semester courses and 20 credits are 1 semester courses.
Reply 12
http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/13-14/dpt/drpsindex.htm <--- Here, you can go and check the modules.

40 credits are two semester courses and 20 credits are 1 semester courses.

Ok. So if you chose a 40 credit course for your outside subject you would then be assessed at the end of the semester and that's that?

With a 20 credit one, you're then assessed at the end of the semester, and you then take your next 20 one to make up the 40?

Thanks for your help! :biggrin:
Original post by M!17
Ok. So if you chose a 40 credit course for your outside subject you would then be assessed at the end of the semester and that's that?

With a 20 credit one, you're then assessed at the end of the semester, and you then take your next 20 one to make up the 40?

Thanks for your help! :biggrin:

20 credit courses are assessed with an exam at the end of the semester that you're doing it in or sometimes, if you do it in Semester 1, it might be assessed at the end of Semester 2.

Some 40 credit courses have two exams with one at the end of Semester 1 and then another at the end of Semester 2 while some others are just at the end of Semester 2.

Some courses might not even have exams either. :smile:

Can be a little complicated but if you read up on your subjects and what you want, it should be fine.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
20 credit courses are assessed with an exam at the end of the semester that you're doing it in or sometimes, if you do it in Semester 1, it might be assessed at the end of Semester 2.

Some 40 credit courses have two exams with one at the end of Semester 1 and then another at the end of Semester 2 while some others are just at the end of Semester 2.

Some courses might not even have exams either. :smile:

Can be a little complicated but if you read up on your subjects and what you want, it should be fine.

Cool, thanks. Makes sense I guess. Not that big of a deal but thanks for clearing it up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending