The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
Original post by dreamdoctor
I got an interview
Don't know how to go about it tbh
If i go there on the day it will take me roughly five hrs to travel and I need to be there for 11:00ish for a group task- dat means sett off at 6ish
If i go the day before- the travel expenses can come upto £200 as returning times would be peak times and no way can i go alone- gnna drag mum along
And ontop of that the hotel expenses
Craaaaap......wot to do?

are you coming for that thing at 10? mine is at 1.45.. but i might go for that thing at 10..
anyways imagine me going to notts which is 4 hours away.. i have to be there for 9am - thats when my interview is :/
so yours is not bad at all!!
Original post by wanttobeadotcor
Hi Bethaney
Just about the interviews obviously nothing specific but will it just be a normal medical interview such as the BM5 or will it be slightly different due it being foundation?

And thank you so much for your help and to the other ambassadors in being really informative and answering all the questions :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep Group task and then standard 2 person panel interview with standard medicine questions. Usually PS based but not always.

Original post by somethingunique
Hello all, I have not received any reply at all. Should I assume I have been rejected?

There is a small chance someone will turn down their interview and a spot will open bt unfortunately probably.
Reply 742
Original post by BethaneyJ
Southampton don't give preference to those with a lot higher GCSEs or AS/Predicted. Once you have shown you meet the minimum criteria of GCSEs and a levels, everyone is equal.

Ummmm!!!.
That makes me wonder why I didn't get an interview .im 100% sre I full fill minimum criteria and more.
That leaves me with personal statement ,which I got checked by teachers and professionals and was told it is very good.
ill ask for feedback.
Original post by Nafees
Ummmm!!!.
That makes me wonder why I didn't get an interview .im 100% sre I full fill minimum criteria and more.
That leaves me with personal statement ,which I got checked by teachers and professionals and was told it is very good.
ill ask for feedback.

I rang them and asked how they choose which applicants get an interview and they said they look at EVERYTHING (UKCAT, grades, PS) Those are the ones that she listed specifically. I asked her about the PS ranking out of 15 and she said nothing exist of that sort.
Reply 744
Original post by SchoolKid.
I rang them and asked how they choose which applicants get an interview and they said they look at EVERYTHING (UKCAT, grades, PS) Those are the ones that she listed specifically. I asked her about the PS ranking out of 15 and she said nothing exist of that sort.

Original post by Nafees
Ummmm!!!.
ill ask for feedback.

"And more" doesn't mean anything.

Also, BM6 is extremely competitive. The only thing is that other candidates were stronger.

That's bizarre as that is how BM6 has always been done. I wonder if she was confused with BM5. Grades they certainly do not look at other than the minimum, and UKCAT isn't used other than to compare similar candidates. I'll ask the head of BM6 as we were told at the start of the cycle that it was been being done as usual with potential changes to interviews.
"And more" doesn't mean anything.

Also, BM6 is extremely competitive. The only thing is that other candidates were stronger.

That's bizarre as that is how BM6 has always been done. I wonder if she was confused with BM5. Grades they certainly do not look at other than the minimum, and UKCAT isn't used other than to compare similar candidates. I'll ask the head of BM6 as we were told at the start of the cycle that it was been being done as usual with potential changes to interviews.

That will be great :smile:

Its just when I said that she said nothing of that exists and sounded certain about that :confused:
Reply 747
Southampton don't give preference to those with a lot higher GCSEs or AS/Predicted. Once you have shown you meet the minimum criteria of GCSEs and a levels, everyone is equal.

Thanks for your quick reply.

But if they do not look at grades or PS what else do they look at before inviting for an interview ?? :/
Original post by Shiam
Thanks for your quick reply.

But if they do not look at grades or PS what else do they look at before inviting for an interview ?? :/

I didn't say they don't look at PS. In fact, (according to what we have been told as student ambassadors and what was told at open days) PS is all they look at once you've met everything else. It's scored on a list of criteria with those scoring the best being invited to interview.

That will be great :smile:

Its just when I said that she said nothing of that exists and sounded certain about that :confused:

I'll look into it. It may be that that person didn't deal with BM6. It may be that they don't deal with that aspect of admissions. It may be that they changed the way they do it as they've added the group task too. Last time I had my info completely updated was September at the open days for this cycle but I have emailed to ask.
Reply 749
Will I be correct to assume that for bm6,once you have met minimum criteria ,the thing which gets you in for a interview is personal statement, and personal statement is the game changer before you get to interview !!!!!!???????
Original post by Nafees
Will I be correct to assume that for bm6,once you have met minimum criteria ,the thing which gets you in for a interview is personal statement, and personal statement is the game changer before you get to interview !!!!!!???????

That was what we had been told, just checking with Faculty of Medicine. Waiting on a response but won't know until Monday.
Reply 751
That was what we had been told, just checking with Faculty of Medicine. Waiting on a response but won't know until Monday.

Reply 752
Hey guys, does the interview and the group task count towards the offer or is it just the interview ?
Original post by Ahmed-J
Hey guys, does the interview and the group task count towards the offer or is it just the interview ?

It will all count towards deciding who gets an offer.
Reply 754
hi do you know what the group task will entail?
OR
how do we practice/revise for the group task?
X
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 755

Hiii,
Do you know what the group task will entail

&
how we shud prepare 4 the group task?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did they do the group task last year?
No more interviews? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 758

Thanks, do you know the ratio of offers to interviews ?
Original post by Ahmed-J
Thanks, do you know the ratio of offers to interviews ?

There are 96 interviews and 45 offers. Don't try to play an odds game as you'll get complacent or over nervous. Go in and kill it Don't leave it to luck :wink:

Original post by barmutlu1
No more interviews? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doesn't look like it. Perhaps one or two.

Original post by IdeasForLife
Did they do the group task last year?

Nope.

Original post by zab786
Hiii,
Do you know what the group task will entail

&
how we shud prepare 4 the group task?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Roughly yes, but I cannot tell you (uni rules) and you can't prepare for it even if you know what the task is. Don't worry about it. Preparing for your panel interview is the priority. :yes:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending