The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 0xygen
Yeah I dunno, I'm sick of this "Russell Group" crap. I'm going to a QM open day soon and a Leicester open day, I'll decide which uni I'll end up going to after visiting both universities.

My college is really **** tbh, they never give me advice on anything regarding universities.

Think you are looking way to into this haha. You need to visit Leicester and I'm sure you will find out then if you want to study there.

About the Queen Mary/Leicester. Doesn't Leicester come above Queen Mary in every league table? Queen Mary is not a top 20 university. Well if you look at respected league tables such as Guardian/complete university guide. Queen Mary seems to average around the 30s while Leicester around 15.

I didn't pick Leicester on social life, I liked the course/department on the open days and just knew I wanted to study here. The social life is a bonus. I couldn't dread to think commuting to uni from home. University isn't just about the academic side, and if you are living at home you would miss so many good times like staying in halls, meeting so many different people etc.

:smile:
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 1141
Original post by Hart1995
Think you are looking way to into this haha. You need to visit Leicester and I'm sure you will find out then if you want to study there.

About the Queen Mary/Leicester. Doesn't Leicester come above Queen Mary in every league table? Queen Mary is not a top 20 university. Well if you look at respected league tables such as Guardian/complete university guide. Queen Mary seems to average around the 30s while Leicester around 15.

I didn't pick Leicester on social life, I liked the course/department on the open days and just knew I wanted to study here. The social life is a bonus. I couldn't dread to think commuting to uni from home. University isn't just about the academic side, and if you are living at home you would miss so many good times like staying in halls, meeting so many different people etc.

:smile:

Yeah, I guess actually visiting the two universities would be the best option right now. I think league tables aren't reliable as you could see Leicester drop to the 30's in 2 years, or, QM rising to the top 20's in 2 years.

QM is a RG university so they usually have more links with companies, get funded more etc.. BUT living in London really sucks, there's nothing to do and it's overly busy. Living with parents is the worst, especially because they'll always be watching my back and I'll have younger siblings pee'ing me off everyday. But, isn't a slightly better future worth the agony? Who knows.. Will have to see how good the CompSci department at Leicester actually is ( Feb 15 )
Reply 1142
Original post by Sammydemon
I don't really know what to add. I've given you my opinion, I think Leicester is a great university and wouldn't choose any other over it, you may get the same feel on the open day. London is dodgy and nobody wants to live with their parents.

you do NOT want to live with your parents :P
Hi everyone,
I've looked through 20 pages on here and can't find what i'm looking for.
Does anyone know the difference between premium ensuite and premium+ ensuite rooms? Is the '+' worth the extra 1000 a year?
Original post by jacksplum
Hi everyone,
I've looked through 20 pages on here and can't find what i'm looking for.
Does anyone know the difference between premium ensuite and premium+ ensuite rooms? Is the '+' worth the extra 1000 a year?

You just get a bigger sized bed/room. It isn't need at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi! Does anyone know when we are able to apply for accommodation? :smile: Really want to get JoFo but also does anyone know what the layout on the application form would be? Like would you put a list of your faves and then they get allocated? And can you specify a particular flat in JoFo? :biggrin:
Reply 1146
Hi There Im wondering if anyone can help me out here.

I've got an unconditional to study physics at Leicester and was invited to a visit day. Yesterday I went and it was great but I didn't get to see much of the self catered accommodation, only one room in GMS, cant remember the name of the block. It was really nice, much nicer than the catered ones that we saw at least and the kitchen was nice too.

What I'd like to know is, in general what is the self catered accommodation at Leicester like? Where are the best places to stay etc. etc.

If anyone could give me some info or point me in the right direction that'd be great.
Reply 1147
Original post by Eremor

I've got an unconditional to study physics at Leicester and was invited to a visit day. Yesterday I went and it was great but I didn't get to see much of the self catered accommodation, only one room in GMS, cant remember the name of the block. It was really nice, much nicer than the catered ones that we saw at least and the kitchen was nice too.

What I'd like to know is, in general what is the self catered accommodation at Leicester like? Where are the best places to stay etc. etc.

If anyone could give me some info or point me in the right direction that'd be great.

My friend took me on a tour of all the accommodation yesterday and from what I recall Digby and John Foster are the main self catering halls. With John foster being the newer, more luxurious of the two; the kitchen/dining space was quite big and very modern. I think Beaumont and some of the other also offer a few self catered places. :smile:

I went yesterday with the idea that I'd go self catered but after speaking to people catered seems like the cheaper preferable option!
Does anyone know when we can start applying for accommodation? I've been waiting for my email for ages!
Original post by Eremor

It sounds like you're talking about Bowder court which is part of GMS, it's by far Leicester's nicest accommodation but also the most expensive by a long way! John Foster has some self catered in the coppice which is nice but not at new as the big modern john foster blocks and also some converted houses which again aren't as new. Digby was completely renovated last year so is actually pretty good now and as it's shared bathrooms it's a lot cheaper than somewhere like Bowder court!

I hope this helps, and more questions then just give me a shout :smile:
Original post by student_room_
Hi! Does anyone know when we are able to apply for accommodation? :smile: Really want to get JoFo but also does anyone know what the layout on the application form would be? Like would you put a list of your faves and then they get allocated? And can you specify a particular flat in JoFo? :biggrin:

Speaking from a couple years ago, you just ranked about six places where you wanted to live on the form. I have a feeling you could request certain flat mates but not a certain flat.

If you don't mind me asking, is there any particular reason you want a particular flat?
Original post by SimbaLion
Speaking from a couple years ago, you just ranked about six places where you wanted to live on the form. I have a feeling you could request certain flat mates but not a certain flat.

If you don't mind me asking, is there any particular reason you want a particular flat?

Ah thanks for the info! Did you choose Oadby? It's not that I want a particular flat really but I know JoFo includes houses as well as the Pavillion and I'd much prefer the modern flats! :smile:
Ah thanks for the info! Did you choose Oadby? It's not that I want a particular flat really but I know JoFo includes houses as well as the Pavillion and I'd much prefer the modern flats! :smile:

Yes I got my first choice so I was happy! Ohh okay well all of the converted houses are self catered so for the pavilions you just pick catered :smile:
When do the applications for accommodation open this year?
Hey, has anyone been sent the email yet? :smile:
I remember the email being pretty late so don't panic! You won't actually find out where you're living until after results day anyway so there's no rush
Besides john foster, which other places do self catered ensuite?
Reply 1157
Original post by angelxox
Besides john foster, which other places do self catered ensuite?

I only really know of John Foster, there's Bowder Court in GMS which offers self catered ensuite but I think that these are more expensive! I'm currently living in an catered ensuite room in GMS, so feel free to ask any questions! ������
I've applied with Beaumont as my first choice :smile: (Not sure if I got the email early because my offer is unconditional) Anybody else going for Beaumont?
I've applied with Beaumont as my first choice :smile: (Not sure if I got the email early because my offer is unconditional) Anybody else going for Beaumont?

I'm living in Beaumont at the moment so feel free to ask any questions :smile: you've made a very good choice haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending