The Student Room Group

will my GCSE'S hinder my chances of getting into a top uni to study law?

I got 2 A*'s, 6 A's and 2 B's (in economics and french) at GCSE. i want to study law at one of the top unis, will my gcse grades hold me back? i want to apply to LSE, UCL, Warwick, Durham, Exeter and Kings
these grades are very very good, but i would just suggest not doing economics and french at a level if these are your two weaker subjects.

what subjects are you thinking of by the way?

I'm having to chose my a levels and i want to go on to do law at uni :smile:
Original post by shivaniiii
I got 2 A*'s, 6 A's and 2 B's (in economics and french) at GCSE. i want to study law at one of the top unis, will my gcse grades hold me back? i want to apply to LSE, UCL, Warwick, Durham, Exeter and Kings

Honestly, for LSE and UCL, yes they will hinder your application to some extent. In fact, there was a guy who had been rejected from LSE on the basis of his GCSEs (they were similar, perhaps slightly worse than yours). He was applying with achieved grades of A* A* A - so he was clearly quite capable.

Just make sure you do very well at AS and ensure you're predicted highly! LSE will be less forgiving as they don't take into account the LNAT exam.

You've obviously still got a good chance with the other universities, particularly if your grades take an upward trajectory and your LNAT score is a good margin above the average.
Reply 3
Original post by ellawhite4686
these grades are very very good, but i would just suggest not doing economics and french at a level if these are your two weaker subjects.

what subjects are you thinking of by the way?

I'm having to chose my a levels and i want to go on to do law at uni :smile:

thank you! I kind of messed up my GCSE'S, i could have done a lot better :frown: Im doing critical thinking, english lit, history, maths and economics :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by QuestionsQ
Honestly, for LSE and UCL, yes they will hinder your application to some extent. In fact, there was a guy who had been rejected from LSE on the basis of his GCSEs (they were similar, perhaps slightly worse than yours). He was applying with achieved grades of A* A* A - so he was clearly quite capable.

Just make sure you do very well at AS and ensure you're predicted highly! LSE will be less forgiving as they don't take into account the LNAT exam.

You've obviously still got a good chance with the other universities, particularly if your grades take an upward trajectory and your LNAT score is a good margin above the average.

that sucks :frown: thanks though
Original post by shivaniiii
that sucks :frown: thanks though

It doesn't suck! You just need to be even more motivated now. I reckon it's better to have a realistic response than a response that's purely geared towards what you want to hear.

Law is notoriously competitive, as I'm sure you're aware and as a result gaining admission to top universities to study Law is seriously tough (particularly Oxbridge + the top London universities).

Work hard and you'll maximise your opportunities.

Best,

QuestionsQ

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending