The Student Room Group

Leicester Medical Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Avec_Amour
Thank you for your motivational words :smile:

Words can't describe just how much I want to study medicine, and if it wasn't due to the finances then I would've applied to study medicine abroad. The determination I have to study medicine is huge, and believe me I wouldn't be happy doing something else. I've been exposed to a wide variety of different healthcare professions but nothing comes close to the role of a doctor. God, I want medicine SO bad :frown:

Not 100% sure if I'll be taking a second gap year, but I'd love to give medicine another shot!

Original post by Alumno
if you know of any other profession that would provide you with satisfaction then tell me because I've looked and I can't find anything. Maybe you guys are different and would be happy doing something else but I seriously don't think I have the strength to move on like that, not after setting my heart on becoming a doctor.

I say keep going - if you think you can stand this process at least once more then go for it! Keep the faith :smile:.

Hey guys,
I am also in the same position. Was devasted after hearing of 4 rejections. But I kinda picked upself up this morning and realised that worrying and crying aint gonna help me. I really dont know what to do. Just like you guys were saying....I have set my heart on studying medicine and I just feel I wont be happy doing something else.
I am on a gap year atm and my parents wont let me take another year out! Is it possible to apply to medicine in the 2015 cycle while doing another course? I have an offer from UCL for Mpharm. I really dont wanna firm it but....! I am so unsure what to do! What are your plans?
Original post by Priya_Biju
Hey guys,
I am also in the same position. Was devasted after hearing of 4 rejections. But I kinda picked upself up this morning and realised that worrying and crying aint gonna help me. I really dont know what to do. Just like you guys were saying....I have set my heart on studying medicine and I just feel I wont be happy doing something else.
I am on a gap year atm and my parents wont let me take another year out! Is it possible to apply to medicine in the 2015 cycle while doing another course? I have an offer from UCL for Mpharm. I really dont wanna firm it but....! I am so unsure what to do! What are your plans?

hey I'm really sorry to hear this, I think medicine is just getting more and more competitive, with just more hoops to jump through and that leads to some of the best applicants with a real passion not getting in for the silliest of reasons, obviously its a hard desision but reading your post would you not be bettre in a healthcare placement this year earning money for reapplying next year? surely your parents would be happy with that and you would be in great position next year if you have the grades expereince, and some cash for uni..... I can just imagine how hard it would be studying for something that you dont really have your heart set on.....
Original post by cloud9medic
hey I'm really sorry to hear this, I think medicine is just getting more and more competitive, with just more hoops to jump through and that leads to some of the best applicants with a real passion not getting in for the silliest of reasons, obviously its a hard desision but reading your post would you not be bettre in a healthcare placement this year earning money for reapplying next year? surely your parents would be happy with that and you would be in great position next year if you have the grades expereince, and some cash for uni..... I can just imagine how hard it would be studying for something that you dont really have your heart set on.....

When I started my gap year I had no idea what I would do. I was not that independent or that mature. I never thought I would get a job. But atm I am doing 3 jobs plus volunteering. Working has just made me want medicine even more. Its such a big decision to make. Like if I apply again and not get in, I would have lost 2 years...each year your really moving away from studies (parent's argument. )
I wanna know if it would be a problem if I re apply while studying Pharmacy. N ur right.... I cant imagine studying Pharmacy n being happy!
Reply 2943
When I started my gap year I had no idea what I would do. I was not that independent or that mature. I never thought I would get a job. But atm I am doing 3 jobs plus volunteering. Working has just made me want medicine even more. Its such a big decision to make. Like if I apply again and not get in, I would have lost 2 years...each year your really moving away from studies (parent's argument. )
I wanna know if it would be a problem if I re apply while studying Pharmacy. N ur right.... I cant imagine studying Pharmacy n being happy!

Hey at the end of the day its your life and 2 gap years are really not unheard of. You could maybe set up a tutoring side business charge quite cheap which would be a great way for you tostay with the studying? Im sorry avout your rejections its a cruel game :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

As far as I know the majority, if not all, med schools don't like applications from students in their first year of a degree.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey guys,

Be very careful when making this decision, I never realised this - but Pharmacy requires a lot of hard work and motivation. It's a four year course that leads to a professional qualification and most people end up deciding that they want to study pharmacy after their 1st year - I think they give up to be honest. Also, its because pharmacy is quite a stable job and there are still jobs out there for graduates. However, although the degree is difficult - it is possible to do well in it.

One example that might help you with your decision: my friend wanted to read dentistry, failed to get in whilst she was sitting her A levels and only got into MPharm at LSOP (now called UCL) as her back-up. She got her 3A's and reapplied during her first year of pharmacy. She had one interview and got into Bristol to study dentistry. She only had a bit of difficulty sorting it out with student finance (i am unsure why) but eventually she got it sorted. She is now in her 5th year :smile:

My recommendation: I would contact student finance and see if this path is still possible, if so - reapply in your first year of uni and fingers crossed you will get in. If you don't get in - focus on pharmacy and do amazing in your degree. After completing your degree, you have 2 options:

1) Apply during your 4th year of university.

OR

2) Complete your 4 year degree and then undertake your pre-registration training (1 year working in hospital/community, you have to sit an exam at the end to become a qualified pharmacist) and apply during your pre-registration year. This will give you the opportunity to work part-time during your medicine degree so that you can fund it.

Good luck.
Reply 2946
Hey guys,

Firstly well done for picking yourself up and dusting yourself off. I've seen this process almost break people before (and going through it myself I can understand why now!) so this is an achievement in itself.

Have you had any feedback regarding your applications yet? If not - why do you think you've been unsuccessful? I think the best thing to do here is to be brutally honest with yourself. Try to be as objective as possible and LOOK for the imperfections. Once you have found them think about all the different ways you could improve and if there is something you can do - just get it done.

I've always been very independent but I can see how your parents putting pressure on you would make things more difficult. I'm sure they are only doing it out of concern for you but that of course doesn't make anything easier to deal with. Have you sat them down and told them honestly how much this means to you?

Just reiterating what Amyk89 has said...in fact I'd go a bit further and say that I think the majority may not even accept your application if applying in the first year...but the best thing to do would be to check with each individual university. Since Petzneo's friend was successful it's quite possible that I am misinformed on this. But you need to consider what would happen if you apply in your first year and you don't get in. Would you apply in your 2nd year (even though you'd be half way through your MPharm by then)? What about your third?

I realised I wanted to be a doctor in my first year of a completely unrelated degree. Personally, I found it incredibly difficult to apply myself to a subject that was so far removed from what I wanted to do with my life. MPharm courses are intense too - but as has already been said if you can get your head down I am sure you can do well.

Something else to consider is graduate funding. It is changing very soon (and will certainly be different in some form in 4 years time). Many are saying this is going to make it very difficult for graduates to study medicine although this is not confirmed. It is a risk you need to consider though.

Whatever you decide just please make sure you've considered all of your options from all of the angles. Let me know how it goes?
Reply 2947

Well i'm a 4th time reapplicant. (twice undergrad and twice graduate). I can honestly say don't give up - you'll get there in the end! My problem was I just couldn't get interviews despite having the grades and experience (loads of volunteering & shadowing experience). You later realise it really isn't what you've done, but how you reflect on it in interviews that matters! The UKCAT just restricted me from getting interviews and you can improve at it! My score went from 640 to 775 this time, and I have an undergrad place and am waiting on 3 grad courses post-interview.

You'll get there eventually if you want to do it as long as you have the grades! I would recommend becoming an HCA for a year as it gives a great insight into what the healthcare profession is like, and gives you so much to talk about at interview.

I do know of someone who got in to medicine at Manchester whilst in the first year of another undergraduate degree but believe that is very uncommon. Doing another degree first may not seem like an appealing idea right now, but trust me I am so glad that I did - you miss out on alot by going straight into medicine post A-levels.

Don't think of it as losing 2 years - it gives you a chance to do other things! Good luck with your application whatever you decide in the end!
Original post by Alumno
Firstly well done for picking yourself up and dusting yourself off. I've seen this process almost break people before (and going through it myself I can understand why now!) so this is an achievement in itself.

Since Petzneo's friend was successful it's quite possible that I am misinformed on this.

I think she was quite lucky and this was a few years back, so things might have changed now...some research is definitely needed :smile:

Original post by Alumno

I realised I wanted to be a doctor in my first year of a completely unrelated degree. Personally, I found it incredibly difficult to apply myself to a subject that was so far removed from what I wanted to do with my life. MPharm courses are intense too - but as has already been said if you can get your head down I am sure you can do well.

Hm, I was in a very similar position. I went into pharmacy, knowing that medicine was the only degree I really wanted to do. It was definitely a difficult thing to do, but it made me a stronger person both mentally and academically.

Hey guys,

Do have a look at this - http://www.brighton.ac.uk/pharmacy/courses/bsms-interview.php

I don't know the success rates but it is an interesting option to go for.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey guys,

I'm currently nearing the end of my second year of medicine at Leicester, so hopefully I can give you some insight.

I know of three people who took a gap-year post A-Levels and then started the first year of a different degree and they all applied whilst enrolled on their degree and all got offers from Leicester. There are a few universities that allow this and Leicester is one of them:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/applying_for_medicine_whilst_on_a_different_course

I will say avoid Pharmacy at any cost, if you fail to get in subsequently you'll be stuck in a profession that is going down hill fast, particularly as you're not even passionate about it. Quite a few pharmacists I know ended up applying for graduate entry medicine but pharmacy is 5 years (4 years degree + pre-reg) so I would recommend choosing another clinical degree: Optometry, Audiology etc, which is at least 3 years. That way you'll have a decent career to fall back on and you'll have time to perfect an application for GEM without having to wait 5 years before doing so.

Wish you all the best.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by fallenangel
I'm currently nearing the end of my second year of medicine at Leicester, so hopefully I can give you some insight.

I know of three people who took a gap-year post A-Levels and then started the first year of a different degree and they all applied whilst enrolled on their degree and all got offers from Leicester. There are a few universities that allow this and Leicester is one of them:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/applying_for_medicine_whilst_on_a_different_course

I will say avoid Pharmacy at any cost, if you fail to get in subsequently you'll be stuck in a profession that is going down hill fast, particularly as you're not even passionate about it. Quite a few pharmacists I know ended up applying for graduate entry medicine but pharmacy is 5 years (4 years degree + pre-reg) so I would recommend choosing another clinical degree: Optometry, Audiology etc, which is at least 3 years. That way you'll have a decent career to fall back on and you'll have time to perfect an application for GEM without having to wait 5 years before doing so.

Wish you all the best.

Hi,

I'm in a very similar position - I have taken a gap year and reapplied to study medicine, however received all rejections. However, I do hold an offer to study Pharmacy, but my heart just isn't in it compared to medicine. I desperately want to study medicine, words cannot express how much I want to be a doctor. One major factor that possibly jeopardized my application was the fact that I'm a resit applicant (with extenuating circumstances). I don't know what to do? Either I study pharmacy and reapply again in my first year, or I take a second gap year, depending on UKCAT? Or I could study pharmacy, then apply for graduate entry? Only problem with that is that it'll be extremely competitive and costly.
Just a bit confused :frown: desperately want to do medicine!
Reply 2951

Wish you all the best.

Just out of interest - were any of the three you know of already studying at Leicester?
Original post by hl7495
Hey at the end of the day its your life and 2 gap years are really not unheard of. You could maybe set up a tutoring side business charge quite cheap which would be a great way for you tostay with the studying? Im sorry avout your rejections its a cruel game :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, thank you for replying. Some people have told me that two years gap years are not looked upon favorably by unis.
Original post by Avec_Amour
Hi,

I'm in a very similar position - I have taken a gap year and reapplied to study medicine, however received all rejections. However, I do hold an offer to study Pharmacy, but my heart just isn't in it compared to medicine. I desperately want to study medicine, words cannot express how much I want to be a doctor. One major factor that possibly jeopardized my application was the fact that I'm a resit applicant (with extenuating circumstances). I don't know what to do? Either I study pharmacy and reapply again in my first year, or I take a second gap year, depending on UKCAT? Or I could study pharmacy, then apply for graduate entry? Only problem with that is that it'll be extremely competitive and costly.
Just a bit confused :frown: desperately want to do medicine!

It's tough for me to advise you because there are major pro's and cons for either option. If I were you, I would study a science related degree (but 10000000% NOT pharmacy) then re-apply in your first year. If that doesn't work out, then you have just two years left until you can apply for GEM. If you do pharmacy, you'll be stuck for a long time. Once you get in, it's tough to get out. I know alot of pharmacists, who wanted to do medicine say they regretted their choice, it so I really hope you re-consider your offer.

There are some amazing degrees, what are you interested in? Alot of grads studying medicine at leicester did neuroscience, pharmacology, biochem, anatomy - all so relevant to medicine. I really recommend audiology, it's a clinical degree so you'll see patients, it's three years and the job-market isn't saturated (and with the recent headphone craze - one of our lectures is convinced it'll be a big field in the future) - so whilst you re-apply for medicine, you'll have an awesome job:

http://www.worldaudiology.com/courses/uk/

If you need any further advice, PM me with your GCSE grade, A-Level grades (before and after you re-sat) and your UCAS history for both years but I would stick with the advice I gave above. If you take anything from what I said, just do anything but pharmacy.

Original post by Alumno
Just out of interest - were any of the three you know of already studying at Leicester?

No, the three in question all went to other universities around the UK. But I know another three people who studied Biological Sciences at Leicester and then transferred over to medicine. But it's ridiculously competitive. You have to get a 1st in your first year and then you're able to apply for the transfer. About 40 people are eligible, and then there are separate interviews and 4-5 are offered a place.
Original post by petzneo

My recommendation: I would contact student finance and see if this path is still possible, if so - reapply in your first year of uni and fingers crossed you will get in. If you don't get in - focus on pharmacy and do amazing in your degree. After completing your degree, you have 2 options:

1) Apply during your 4th year of university.

OR

2) Complete your 4 year degree and then undertake your pre-registration training (1 year working in hospital/community, you have to sit an exam at the end to become a qualified pharmacist) and apply during your pre-registration year. This will give you the opportunity to work part-time during your medicine degree so that you can fund it.

Good luck.

Original post by Alumno

Have you had any feedback regarding your applications yet? If not - why do you think you've been unsuccessful? I think the best thing to do here is to be brutally honest with yourself. Try to be as objective as possible and LOOK for the imperfections. Once you have found them think about all the different ways you could improve and if there is something you can do - just get it done.

I've always been very independent but I can see how your parents putting pressure on you would make things more difficult. I'm sure they are only doing it out of concern for you but that of course doesn't make anything easier to deal with. Have you sat them down and told them honestly how much this means to you?

Just reiterating what Amyk89 has said...in fact I'd go a bit further and say that I think the majority may not even accept your application if applying in the first year...but the best thing to do would be to check with each individual university. Since Petzneo's friend was successful it's quite possible that I am misinformed on this. But you need to consider what would happen if you apply in your first year and you don't get in. Would you apply in your 2nd year (even though you'd be half way through your MPharm by then)? What about your third?

Something else to consider is graduate funding. It is changing very soon (and will certainly be different in some form in 4 years time). Many are saying this is going to make it very difficult for graduates to study medicine although this is not confirmed. It is a risk you need to consider though.

Whatever you decide just please make sure you've considered all of your options from all of the angles. Let me know how it goes?

Original post by bakes100
Well i'm a 4th time reapplicant. (twice undergrad and twice graduate). I can honestly say don't give up - you'll get there in the end! My problem was I just couldn't get interviews despite having the grades and experience (loads of volunteering & shadowing experience). You later realise it really isn't what you've done, but how you reflect on it in interviews that matters! The UKCAT just restricted me from getting interviews and you can improve at it! My score went from 640 to 775 this time, and I have an undergrad place and am waiting on 3 grad courses post-interview.

You'll get there eventually if you want to do it as long as you have the grades! I would recommend becoming an HCA for a year as it gives a great insight into what the healthcare profession is like, and gives you so much to talk about at interview.

I do know of someone who got in to medicine at Manchester whilst in the first year of another undergraduate degree but believe that is very uncommon. Doing another degree first may not seem like an appealing idea right now, but trust me I am so glad that I did - you miss out on alot by going straight into medicine post A-levels.

Don't think of it as losing 2 years - it gives you a chance to do other things! Good luck with your application whatever you decide in the end!

Wish you all the best.

Original post by petzneo

Hm, I was in a very similar position. I went into pharmacy, knowing that medicine was the only degree I really wanted to do. It was definitely a difficult thing to do, but it made me a stronger person both mentally and academically.

Do have a look at this - http://www.brighton.ac.uk/pharmacy/courses/bsms-interview.php

:smile::smile: Thank you for replying to me and taking the time to type it all out! I am so happy to see that people that I dont even know have taken the time to advice me and wish me luck. It really means a lot! All these posts have been so informative and helpful... soo many options that I didnt know existed! Thank you for encouraging me. It also sad to see that people like me who really wants to study med have recieved rejections! I dont think I will ever give up on this dream. I just felt that no one understood me, people around me dont understand that I reason I wanna do med so badly has nothing to do with money or reputaion. I had a lot of relatives that keep telling me to do MPharm because it pays well bla bla! I was just fed up explaining.
Thank you Alumno for your kind words. Yes, I asked for feedback. This is what I got.
Sheffield: Academic scored well but personal stat wasnt as good as others. Notts: Ignored/ is still ignoring my email :P Kings: My UKCAT of 700 wasnt high enough. Leicester: I had score of 57 which didnt meet the threshold but I have seen people with 56 getting interviews :confused:
so yh.
And ya I work as HCA through Redspot. I also work as theater assistant at an hospital. And i also work as a receptionist. I didnt write any of this on my Personal stat because At the time I didnt have any jobs. Sad times for me. Anyways
Congrats to bakes100 for getting a place after all your hard work! Just shows that if u keep going and nver give...u will get what u want .Thank you TO fallenangel for letting me know about the unis that accept people doing other degrees. I didnt know that some unis strickly dont allow this! I wont have known if u havnt mentioned it! Thank u.
And a massive thank you TO petzneo for telling me about the options at Brighton!!! That really helped me calm down and know it is hope!
Seriously people, I know I have said too many thank u but I'd like to give u all a virtual hug. :P
I hope all those still waiting get good news today!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2956
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2957
Just realised it's an interview week this week...probably means no news?

Really hope I'm wrong :frown:
Reply 2958
Hi has anyone who had an interview on feb 18 th heard yet?
Reply 2959
Original post by Tivo
Hi has anyone who had an interview on feb 18 th heard yet?

Only international candidates as far as I know...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending