The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Guys.... anyone here watched Ao no Exorcist, Blood Lad or To aru Kagaku no Railgun?
Original post by Judge Jasel
Guys.... anyone here watched Ao no Exorcist, Blood Lad or To aru Kagaku no Railgun?

Only the latter two - personally, I didn't like Blood Lad at all, and found Railgun just average (if very well animated).
Reply 6582

Woohoo finally done~!

Original post by Judge Jasel

The Ao no Exorcist anime was very solid until it went all anime original and random in the final quarter - completely shot itself in the foot. Manga is much better.

Blood Lad I found disappointingly dull and pointless - very lacklustre adaptation.

Been avoiding the Raildex stuff ever since I suffered through two seasons of the awful Index. I hear Railgun is much better, but still won't watch it.
Original post by caraniel

Woohoo finally done~!

I love reading stuff like this which is essentially a highly detailed ramble :tongue: Makes it so much more easier to decide upon what to watch as well! Thanks :biggrin:

Original post by AngryJellyfish
I watched a few episodes of Cardcaptors back when I didn't know any better... thinking back on all the stuff they edited... :yucky:

Would definitely be up for watching the unedited, subbed Cardcaptor Sakura, and have been meaning to for a few years, but I say that about a lot of series. :o: One day, I'll clear my backlog!

Cardcaptors sounds pretty disgusting tbh, makes me glad I didn't catch any when I was younger.

Looking forward to your season preview as per usual good sir :wink:
Original post by nixonsjellybeans
Can't believe i've never watched Cardcaptor Sakura in my life, could have sworn I had seen bits as a kid but after watching the first few episodes I can safely say I haven't :tongue:

Original post by Pelly360
Same here! My sister told me that we used to watch Cardcaptors when we were kids, but then I watched a few episodes and don't remember it at all :P

Cardcaptor Sakura was shortened drastically to the one we watched, Cardcaptors, as children.

Which is why it doesn't seem familiar at first. I think it was to make it appeal to both genders instead of just girls.
Original post by perrytheplatypus
Cardcaptor Sakura was shortened drastically to the one we watched, Cardcaptors, as children.

Which is why it doesn't seem familiar at first. I think it was to make it appeal to both genders instead of just girls.

Yeah it still didn't ring any bells though :tongue: I can safetly say I hadn't seen any before.

Luckily I can't think of many other instances of shows being butchered like this :smile:
Yeah it still didn't ring any bells though :tongue: I can safetly say I hadn't seen any before.

Luckily I can't think of many other instances of shows being butchered like this :smile:

Warriors of the Wind springs to mind... not even Ghibli is sacred. :no:
Warriors of the Wind springs to mind... not even Ghibli is sacred. :no:

Ah I remember hearing about that from some podcast made in 2009. The guys who saw it on TV sounded scarred for life :yes:

EDIT: I just watched the worst rated anime on MAL (also made by the worst production company on MAL). No it's not Mars of Destruction but rather Tenkuu Danzai Skelter Heaven made by Idea Factory. Not surprisingly its only a standalone OVA and is quite bad actually :lol: Although if you have 19 minutes to kill then why not waste them on this pile of tosh :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6588

There were quite a few examples, 4kids were especially notorious in their time for several types of editing for the American market, including but not limited to removing episodes; Tokyo Mew Mew/Mew Mew Power is a very good example...in that case several episodes were removed from the beginning of the series...which made for a rather odd introduction
Finished reading Give my Regards to Black Jack, the first long series I picked up on my Kindle... wow. I cannot recommend this manga strongly enough. It looked at multiple areas of Japan's medical practice, starting with regular surgery and progressing to more controversial areas such as neonatal, cancer and psychiatric wards, and didn't glamorise any of it, instead focusing on the good and the bad, and the reasons (financial, political, moral and more) why certain treatments are carried out the way they are. Of course it's a work of fiction, set in Japan, but I'd assume from my limited knowledge of the NHS over here that a lot of the same issues apply. It's certainly put me off the idea of falling ill. :p:

Think I've posted this at least once before, but as of 2012 the manga-ka even made the series copyright free, so if you'd usually feel bad about reading a series scanlated, you really don't have to for this one! :biggrin: Though I personally bought it from emanga.com, since I figured it was worth paying $1 per volume for a decent translation, high quality files, and for taking away the hassle of having to convert the files for my Kindle.

And now, I have to find a new series worthy of taking its place... think I'll spend the evening looking myself instead of asking for recommendations this time, since I'm sure there's plenty of obscure titles out there that may be of interest to me. :beard:

[EDIT] Think I'll be going with Freesia! The only one of Matsumoto Jiro's works I've read so far is Velveteen & Mandala, which was just weird, but I liked the art style, and this one looks to have more of a plot to it. :yes: Might not be something I could comfortably read at work during lunch breaks, though. :giggle:
(edited 10 years ago)
After 6 days i've finally finished Giant Killing... I can't say I thought much to it in all honesty but it was okay I guess. The big game that dragged on forever pretty much summarises why I don't watch the sport genre. On the bright side it had few technical inaccuracies so I could deal with it, bar overdramatic fouling of course which would have been a straight red card :tongue:

Thirst for football quenched? Not a cat in hells chance :colone:
Again probably worth a watch if your into this sort of thing.
Ah I remember hearing about that from some podcast made in 2009. The guys who saw it on TV sounded scarred for life :yes:

EDIT: I just watched the worst rated anime on MAL (also made by the worst production company on MAL). No it's not Mars of Destruction but rather Tenkuu Danzai Skelter Heaven made by Idea Factory. Not surprisingly its only a standalone OVA and is quite bad actually :lol: Although if you have 19 minutes to kill then why not waste them on this pile of tosh :tongue:

I want to meet the person who thought that a standalone 19min OVA would work and shake their hand. I actually have no idea how it managed to make its way onto TV....
Original post by Llewellyn
I want to meet the person who thought that a standalone 19min OVA would work and shake their hand. I actually have no idea how it managed to make its way onto TV....

Since it's an OVA, I'd assume it DIDN'T make it onto TV. :p:

I can think of plenty of decent stand alone anime of that length or shorter that were fantastic... Skelter Heaven just really isn't one of them. :no:
Original post by Llewellyn

Its strange because it seemed at first to have some potential in a story and just be rubbish at everything else, most notably animation! However I quickly changed my mind...
Hi guys, what's the best anime site to watch free and the latest anime that is out in Japan atm?
Original post by Cool_JordH
Hi guys, what's the best anime site to watch free and the latest anime that is out in Japan atm?

The best legal one that we can link to on TSR would probably be Crunchyroll. :yes:
Apologies to all those I was meant to reply to. Got distracted by life :sad:.

How is everyone?

Anyone reading UQ holder?
Original post by keromedic
Apologies to all those I was meant to reply to. Got distracted by life :sad:.

How is everyone?

Anyone reading UQ holder?

I've read the synopsis and sounds pretty interesting, I think I might start reading it as I have nothing to read right now :smile:.
Original post by Dilzo999
I've read the synopsis and sounds pretty interesting, I think I might start reading it as I have nothing to read right now :smile:.

I'm behind on it but it's good so far. I fear it'll be shadowed by it's predecessor. Mahou Negima Sensi is a hard act to follow.
Since it's an OVA, I'd assume it DIDN'T make it onto TV. :p:

I can think of plenty of decent stand alone anime of that length or shorter that were fantastic... Skelter Heaven just really isn't one of them. :no:
Too right :tongue:

Perhaps it's just a conflict of opinion, but I don't like most short series (likewise for very short novels). I'd say that the typical 13-episode TV series seem cut short, I prefer to see a reasonable amount of character and situational development. That's not to say it can't work, I just think it requires more ingenuity - which works back to why it surprises me that some of these ideas and concepts are actually fleshed out into production.

Latest